SASS Wire Forum

What’s the opinion on ATI Road Agent?

Raincrow

Hey pards been away from here distracted but lurking occaisionaly. What’s the first impression of the road agent? I like the decoking device as safety for home defense, the look is cool, and it’s affordable. I realize it will require slicking up. Still only been to a few shoots and have a single shot 20 gauge so when I get back to participating I’ve no immediate need but it looks interesting. I realize the auto cock hammers won’t work in some categories but that’s not a deal breaker for me. Thanks for your thoughts. 

:lol: I see.  I tried the search on road agent but got no hits here so had to ask. I’m not turned off of it yet as one shooter’s ugly might be another’s “just right.” Still deciding on my messenger/coachman/whip/shotgun/ gambler look. But the mention of being hard to open and cock does get my notice. I’ve time to decide. There was a nice used engraved Spanish 20 gauge at one of my favorite gun stores a few months ago so there are options. I did appreciate the feedback this family gave me on the EAA pistols I considered. I bought a nice slick used set of taylor short strokes from a SASS member, instead. Better pistols than shooter, yet.  Thanks. Any other hands on thoughts folks?

The common hammered double that (us) Classic Cowboys use is the Cimarron copy of the Colt 1878.  About as "retro-perfect" as our guns get.  Also known as the TTN.   After the Chinese factory that made/makes 'em.  Easy to cock with minor work.

See the Cimarron Firearms website for info on new guns, but fairly often you will see one in the Classifieds section of Wire.  Used, then perhaps pard decided the external hammers were just too slow for shooting in category that does not require a hammer double.

Good luck, GJ

I put a post on because I saw it in Guns of the Old West magazine. After reading it and watching the video I decided it looks like a piece of crap!:lol:

That's just my opinion!!!

I tried the search on road agent but got no hits here so had to ask.

"Road Agent" is the same search I did to get the three topics. 

BUT - you have to switch the search context to be much more useful.  By default, Search function is set to "this topic" - so the search just looks in the current thread (posting and replies).   You at least normally want to search the Forum you are looking in, or even all the SASS wire content including classifieds and saloon.   So, click on the search entry box and the menu should pop up:

correct search context.jpg

Then your search will run looking over a much broader range of postings.

Good luck, GJ

I guess if you want a sort of external hammered SxS that is not legal in Classic to be different from a Stoeger might be interesting.  GOW says the receiver is aluminum, light weight but wonder how much abuse it will take.  A lot more slick up parts for Stoeger.   Still I have to admit that for the price I almost thought about it but do not tend to use a SxS so it was easy to put on the walk away list.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, donbouquet said:

The most hideous hammers and exaggerated engraving I have ever seen on a shotgun. 

I get ya and I admit, no way would the looks tie in with my nice case colored Taylors or Stainless Rossi 92. Then again a Messenger/whip Gambler may not be so fancy or affluent as to have a matched set. Also wouldn't a matched set be a bit of a tell at a card table?  B) I realize the Stoeger has a wide support, but the uniqueness appeals to me and would set my kit apart. I also wonder about the aluminum durability. The price and uniqueness is appealing. I'm no where near ready to buy. Need to get more reloading stuff first. Just intrigued.

Unique gets old real fast when your guns slow you down and this gun is unproven at best with no infrastructure to support it. And there appears to be no significant cost advantage to it. Listen to your pards who have your best interests at heart and choose something from the short list of tried and tested shotguns that have been presented here. That TTN/Cimarron is a fine place to start. Well made and handsome with a lot of character. Or a vintage hammered SxS would be unique as well. I have a history of learning the hard way in this game so I speak from experience. Being unique often costs time and sooner or later time will matter to you even if it’s only relative to yourself.

Welcome back to the fire.

Archived