SASS Wire Forum

New to Cowboy Guns

Rocky Dog

Got to my first event last Saturday with the Orygun Cowboys in Sherwood, OR   

... and as advertised, everyone was remarkably friendly and welcoming!   What great people!

I was in hog heaven getting to see REALLY nice firearms up close and in person, .. and to see ‘em in action .. 

I hope to attend the Jan event and have already had the generous offer to use some members guns so I can experience participating..  as there is going to be certain delay before I will be able to acquire my own gear (...$...)

Can’t wait!  

Hey there Rocky Dog, Good start and glad you made a match. Rugers are great, have a double action for home peace. I'm a big fan of 357/38 as great all round caliber. I bought a very nice set of tuned short stroked Taylor Smoke Wagons in 357 from another great SASS member here. They fit my hand well. Fit and feel are very important in pistols. Getting quick sight window is nice too. Do try other folks hardware, it changed my mind on shotguns.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I am only able to add a bit at a time also. My next big purchase will be a good reloading apparatus. Got pistols, belt, rifle (I slicked up with help from here,) and am using an old single shot 20 gauge a friend gave me till I decide on a Side by side, most likely. Have fun.

Hi Rocky, welcome to CAS. Per your original question, I think Ruger Blackhawks are one of the best bang-for-the-buck values in all of gundom. I currently own New Model Vaqueros (3), and have owned Blkhwks, original Vaqs, and Old Armys. All performed well and are almost impossible to wear out. You should find lots of used bargains from SASS shooters ('cuz we're always trying sumthin' new).

1 hour ago, Baddog Nobiscuit #46532 said:

Hi Rocky, welcome to CAS. Per your original question, I think Ruger Blackhawks are one of the best bang-for-the-buck values in all of gundom. I currently own New Model Vaqueros (3), and have owned Blkhwks, original Vaqs, and Old Armys. All performed well and are almost impossible to wear out. You should find lots of used bargains from SASS shooters ('cuz we're always trying sumthin' new).

The Blackhawks are very good guns and last for years. The downside of the Blackhawk is the adjustable rear sight, with those you are eliminating yourself from several categories. Gunfighter, Classic Cowboy, Duelist, Frontier Cartridge, Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter or Duelist. All of those MUST use fixed sight revolvers. You can shoot Ruger Vaquero's in all of the categories except Cap and Ball categories.

Hey Baddog..

I see in reading:  the Blackhawk is considered a " big " frame.. and the Vaqueros a " Mid " size frame..  I also see where Ruger made the BH in a 50th anniversary model or something like that that was:  built on the Mid size frame ( like they were at the beginning ) 

That sounds appealing to me.. even tho of course:  I haven't held them in my hand.. but: I have smallish hands..     Are the 50th BH models something to look for? or are they un-obtanium  guns..  

I will be the odd-duck here.  Think original.  Think C-O-L-T!  They're a few more dollars than any of the johnny-come-lately's, but unlike those copies, they're an investment that doesn't go down.   My 40+ year old Colts are worth more now than when I bought them.  

Rocky, I can't answer on 50th Anniv. Blkhwks as I don't know. My hawks, original Vaqs, and Old Armys all fit the same holsters. (How convenient, heh). When I finally sold the ROAs, I wet molded those holsters to fit my NMVaqs. Keep in mind that grip panels can be easily shaped/replaced also. You said target shooting and $$ were important considerations for now. That's why I recommend BHs. Best of luck to you and I hope you join us.

Tnx Griff, BadDog, Mudflat & Allie Moe..!

Note Mudflat : I haven’t shot yet !... I just observed at Sherwood... was going to join Orygun Cowboys next event ( Jan 27 ) - but I have a schedule conflict that day .. so it’ll have to be February 

19 hours ago, Rocky Dog said:

Hey Baddog..

I see in reading:  the Blackhawk is considered a " big " frame.. and the Vaqueros a " Mid " size frame..  I also see where Ruger made the BH in a 50th anniversary model or something like that that was:  built on the Mid size frame ( like they were at the beginning ) 

That sounds appealing to me.. even tho of course:  I haven't held them in my hand.. but: I have smallish hands..     Are the 50th BH models something to look for? or are they un-obtanium  guns..  

I used to have 50th Blackhawks in 357.  They are the same size grip and frame as the NM Vaqueros.  Recent runs of what are called the flat top Blackhawks are also the same size grip and frame as the NM Vaqueros.  Each just has different front sights and adjustable sights over the NMV front blade and through sight.  I had considered a flatop Blackhawk in 357/9mm (two cylinders) but find the plow handle does not feel right to me.  I know I am weird that way. 

These sure sound interesting.. just an academic question: can a gun really shoot two different calibers ( ie. - plus 9mm ) by just changing cylinder ? Isnt the forcing cone and barrel not quite right for one of the two calibers?

1 hour ago, Rocky Dog said:

These sure sound interesting.. just an academic question: can a gun really shoot two different calibers ( ie. - plus 9mm ) by just changing cylinder ? Isnt the forcing cone and barrel not quite right for one of the two calibers?

No expert but 9mm is nominally .356 and 38 is .357 or .001 in difference.  Lead bullets will generally 'bump' up.  Super accurate shooting probably see a difference, but at cowboy to medium probably not as bad.

Tnx LostVaquero.. didnt realize they were so close.. which creates my next comment: the cartridges must be different enough to warrant a second cylinder , but the bullets are almost identical 

10 minutes ago, Rocky Dog said:

the cartridges must be different enough to warrant a second cylinder , but the bullets are almost identical 

.38/.357 headspaces on the case rim.   9mm is rimless so it headspaces on the case mouth.    So, yes, different cylinders required.

Archived