SASS Wire Forum

Question for California

Smoken D

I know, I know, news media rarely get it right but I have a question. On this morning news covering the fires, a reporter stated that 265 schools were closed that served 100,000 students. I got to thinking about that since I deal in numbers, and with these numbers that comes out to 377 students per school. I sure hope that is not right. Even my H.S. back in the 60's would have 1,800 seniors graduating. That just does not sound like very many students per school. Even an average seems kinda low. My question is this info correct?

Wow, you had over 7000 people in your High School?

Also, Santa Rosa and the surrounding area is a bit rural in nature, so the schools are smaller than in the Bay Area where I live.

57 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Even my H.S. back in the 60's would have 1,800 seniors graduating.

Where in the heck did you go to school?

I just went and looked. My alma mater (which was a 3-year school when I graduated, but is now 4-year) has a TOTAL enrollment of 1350. Our "cross-town rival" has a total enrollment of 1188.

And your school graduated 1800, fifty years ago??

My high school had 3,000+ in grades 10, 11, and 12.  Graduated about 1,000+ each class. I graduated 50 years ago in 1967.  My first post had incorrect number due to senior moment.  It felt like there were 6,000 instead of 3,000+.

Most elementary schools in Alief ISD (Houston, TX) have 800+ students.  HISD and surrounding districts have 500 or fewer.  One year the elementary I was teaching at had 5 or 6 temporary buildings with two classrooms each for a total of over 1,000 students.  It was awful.  Lunch started at 10:15 and ran until 1:30.

53 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Wow, you had over 7000 people in your High School?

35 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Where in the heck did you go to school?

I just went and looked. My alma mater (which was a 3-year school when I graduated, but is now 4-year) has a TOTAL enrollment of 1350. Our "cross-town rival" has a total enrollment of 1188.

And your school graduated 1800, fifty years ago??

North Kansas City High School back in the early 60's to I believe 66 only had grades 11 & 12. It was the only H.S. in Clay/Platte counties of Kansas City, Missouri. In 66 they opened Oak Park H.S. and now I believe there are maybe 8 H.S. and some I believe just have 10/11/12 grade. I left the area over 17 years ago. The school was a very large campus similar to college. Had to walk a few blocks to another building. The Main campus had 4 separate buildings. There was also 5 lunch periods and a large dinning hall. Dagg Building was built in the very early 1900's that we used and a very interesting place. Not there any longer.

I believe the school area it covered back then was around 250 square miles.

Had I stayed in Creede, Colorado to graduate there would have been 5 of us.

I graduated in ‘78. We had 78 Seniors graduate. I think that was pretty cool...I also thought it was cool that I had my diploma at 17 and I left home shortly after.  Never went back.

When my daughter graduated in Huntington Beach Ca she had over 250 in her graduation.

The average number of high school students per school in CA is 427 in 9th through 12th grades per school. I got that number here: 

http://public-schools.startclass.com/l/9103/Marina-High-in-Huntington-Beach-California

7 hours ago, Shootin' Shu said:

Just had our 50th HS reunion this past spring and we had a total of 72 graduate. 12 are deceased, of the remaining 60 we were able to find 48 of those 48.. 31 still lived local.

That's the shocker for me.....when I get class newsletters, and see how many have died.  

Talk about feeling old....

LL

On 12/7/2017 at 7:44 AM, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Also, Santa Rosa and the surrounding area is a bit rural in nature, so the schools are smaller than in the Bay Area where I live.

My late brother was a junior when Pine high School opened in 67. Pine high is in the area where all the fires were in Santa Rosa, I do not know if it was affected  by the fires. Anyways the first graduating class from Pines was so small they recruited the junior class to join the senior class in the graduation  ceremony 

Archived