SASS Wire Forum

DPMS verses Armalite

Trigger Mike

I still am leaning toward a M1A but I saw a store with a DPMS in 308 and an Armalite in 308.  Seemed to be basic rifles.  If you had to pick which one?  A local builder of AR rifles builds out one in 308 for twice as much 1495.  The DPMS and Armalite were both 799

I Intend to mount an ATN day/night scope for coyotes and maybe deer hunting.  The eye relief on a Ruger is just too far for an ATN scope to be on it even with an extender.  

WE* used to shoot SASS matches at

the fine Gun Range that is part of the

DPMS, St. Cloud, MN, location.

So, I don't know, its a tough choice . . .  <wink>

* The Granite City Gunslingers

Its More then just price to Consider .

I think I would look at the Quality of Parts and Compare apples to apples.

Then pick the best Rifle with the best Parts for the Best Price.

Hope this helps .

Rooster 

The DPMS is the more common platform (think VHS). Armalite is BETA. Most manufacturers follow the DPMS pattern. Easier to find mags for DPMS but Armalite might have a model that uses DPMS mags. If you ever needed a new bolt DPMS would be easier to find. Armalite is a great gun, but if I was buying I'd get the DPMS.

Buy this

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-308-complete-classic-lower-receiver-77932912.html

add this

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-midlength-308-win-1-10-stainless-steel-15-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-and-ch-516446791.html

even with transfer fees and shipping you'll be well under 799. These use DPMS pattern mags and If you ever want to change calibers just order a new upper from PSA.

1 minute ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Buy this

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-308-complete-classic-lower-receiver-77932912.html

add this

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-midlength-308-win-1-10-stainless-steel-15-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-and-ch-516446791.html

even with transfer fees and shipping you'll be well under 799. These use DPMS pattern mags and If you ever want to change calibers just order a new upper from PSA.

PSA offers some great buys .

Some poeple dont want to put their rifle together.

I did one PSA rifle and I got a lot more rifle for the money spent .

Rooster 

Unless PSA has drastically improved their 308 lowers I'd run far, far away from them. I have one and it has been a pain in the butt and am forced to use standard milspec triggers.

That said, their standard ar15 lowers and uppers are great for the price. For budget I still prefer Anderson over anything else.

Just now, Tyrel Cody said:

Unless PSA has drastically improved their 308 lowers I'd run far, far away from them. I have one and it has been a pain in the butt and am forced to use standard milspec triggers.

That said, their standard ar15 lowers and uppers are great for the price. For budget I still prefer Anderson over anything else.

You must have a very early one, mine has  Geissele trigger that went right in no problem, there is info on how make the geissele fit in the older lowers. The one in the link is gen 2, should be just fine.

5 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

You must have a very early one, mine has  Geissele trigger that went right in no problem, there is info on how make the geissele fit in the older lowers. The one in the link is gen 2, should be just fine.

Yeah, I bought one of the very first 308 stripped lowers they sold. I'll have to look about making another trigger fit. Thanks!

+1 for the DPMS.

Installing or changing uppers on an AR pattern rifle is no more difficult than cleaning the rifle (unless it is Colt with a special screw for front takedown pin).

Unless you have a yen for a 308 AR or the critter range is greater than 150 yards an AR15 with 300 Blackout upper is lighter & less expensive.  I built one this summer for $450 including transfer fee*.  You also have the option of 200+ grain subsonic loads.  Paired with a suppressor & thermal optic the 300BO AR is the penultimate tool for reducing the feral hog population.

*I only assembled the lower.  The complete upper was less expensive than buying the individual parts.  Like PC's unless you want one that has a combination of components that are not available in a factory built package it is more expensive to build it.  The exception to this rule is a precision AR10/LR308.  I built a precision 308 AR last year; because, it was 2/3rds or less than the cost of a factory built one.  The most expensive components were the Mega Arms upper, lower & hand guard set, which are machined from aluminum billet.  The cost of the set including transfer fee & sales tax was approximately $800.

54 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

my dealer said the S & W were around 1400 so i limited it to the DPMS and Armalite but I prefer the S & W brand 

You can get a M&P SPORT for much less than that!

I have had a DPMS for about 5 years. Very basic out of the box so I upgraded springs and trigger (which I normally do with most my guns)

DPMS gets a bad rap from some internet AR elitists and then newbies pass it on. DPMS stands for "Doesn't Pass Mil Specs" according to some wags.

But mine runs fine with almost any brand of ammo using Magpul magazines. It functions quite well. I do not intend to take it into a desperate battle in the desert or jungle. I'm a civilian. For me it's reliable and accurate. I do not need to spend 4 figures jst so I can impress the tactical crowd.

I have  to ask...What will the rifle be used for? If it's a "fun gun" and you don't plan to dress it up in all the latest styles (remove and add furniture and gadgets) then I would go DPMS based,  not necessarily a DPMS made gun. If you want a gun that is not for tinkering and will be used for hunting, protection, competition you are going to get what you pay for. The M1A platform is battle proven, just as the AR15 is battle proven. There is a reason the AR10 is not "battle proven". That reason is reliability. At least that is my take on it. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have  to ask...What will the rifle be used for? If it's a "fun gun" and you don't plan to dress it up in all the latest styles (remove and add furniture and gadgets) then I would go DPMS based,  not necessarily a DPMS made gun. If you want a gun that is not for tinkering and will be used for hunting, protection, competition you are going to get what you pay for. The M1A platform is battle proven, just as the AR15 is battle proven. There is a reason the AR10 is not "battle proven". That reason is reliability. At least that is my take on it. 

Don't forget the XM110.

http://www.snipercentral.com/u-s-army-m110-sass/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

35 minutes ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

Don't forget the XM110.

http://www.snipercentral.com/u-s-army-m110-sass/

I did...then I looked up the civilian version price...OUCH!

I see it's made for SASS. :P

https://www.google.com/search?q=sr+m110+sass+price&rlz=1CASMAI_enUS724US724&oq=SR-M110+SASS&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.3950j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Most everything is outta my price range too :D

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

There is a reason the AR10 is not "battle proven".

The AR10 is battle proven, just not by US forces, read the Wikipedia pages. Used in south America, and Africa by many nations and well thought of by those that used it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite_AR-10

3 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

The AR10 is battle proven, just not by US forces, read the Wikipedia pages. Used in south America, and Africa by many nations and well thought of by those that used it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite_AR-10

Thank you Pete. I did not know that.

37 minutes ago, Whistlin' Blue said:

People do tend to wax nostalgic over certain guns and forget the problems they may have had with them. Kind of like 1911’s to me. Pains in the rear but darn they are cool.  Just like M14’s M1a’s

Something I learned after building my 308 nobody has mentioned. You are talking about rifles chambered in .762x51 not 308. There are several commercial hunting loads for the 308 Winchester that just hammer the heck out of a M1A or an LR308. I didn't really plan for this but when I picked up fired brass with two out of five primers missing it was a wake up call. That same ammo is too hot for my FAL also. And it has an adjustable gas system. 

I can't speak as to the quality of the DPMS .308 but I do own a DPMS in .223 and would think that the quality level of the two would be similar. I polished the trigger a bit (not too much) and from a rest it shoots sub .5 MOA. It's never jammed on me. I think of it as the Biscayne of Chevrolet fame. It's not as fancy looking as the Impala, but it runs great. 

Archived