SASS Wire Forum

What DID Happen to the WIRE resulting in a Mass Exodus

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

1 hour ago, C0ckr0ach, SASS #26100 said:

Freedom of speech, with all the issues, problems, negativity, hostility, etc is superior and more productive  than censorship.

I like to read what people really believe, as I learn about them.

Agreed as long as People are Not Calling Other People Names or Threatening Them ,

Because their Opnion is Different Then Your's .

Thats what the Problem with Phantom was .

He had a lot to offer ,  as long as you did not disagree with anything he said .

I think if someone dont agree on something ,  its OK to Disagree to a point ,

Without insulting the other person .

Just sayin 

Rooster 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's only one word to describe posters, agree or disagree with their opinions, or the post itself. Its called "respect". Its what we each want, and its what we should give. 

As to people migrating, its their loss in just being a part of the community, and the comrade isn't a part of their make-up. MT

On all electronic posts, emails, etc we must all, as the author, remember that a dozen readers will all read the message a different way.  What may sound like a straightforward statement with very good advice may sound perfect to one person that reads it.  However, it might sound like a cocky statement from an elitist to another.  Try reading a simple sentence sometime and read it several times.  Each time think that the author was in a different mood - angry, hurried, complacent, helpful, apologetic.....

If folks have left for the reason of being flamed or taken something rudely, they may or may not have a valid reason.  But we all, readers and writers alike, have got to understand that we are likely taken in a totally different light that we think.

Being a moderator is a tough task.  I for one would never want it.  There are hundreds of personalities out there with all levels of tolerances.  The moderators, posters and readers may rarely be on the same page on any given day.  We can all hit the wrong button at the wrong time.  Certainly there are folks reading this that don't like my post, some can take it or leave it and still others are like minded.  Heck, we play a game with guns.  Doing so is not to be taken lightly.  How can so many exhibit such control and skill with loaded weapons, but so little with a keyboard?  Read this as if I am very calm and reassuring; trying to explain how both sides can see things in two entirely different ways - which is how I am typing it.  Now go back and read it like it's in all caps with exclamation marks, bold words, and nasty little emoticons.  Imagine I am talking down to you.  It sure changes your perception of the statement and me as a person doesn't it.  Unfortunately this is the downside of electronic messages.  :(

Never forget that moderators are people too.  They have good days and bad.  They have lives beyond the Wire.  Just try to understand that they are trying to keep peace on an electronic frontier that is prone to misunderstanding.  

I will have to say that most all the folks responding to this particular thread I hold a great deal of respect for. Some of you I even love, and still others I would go so far as to say I would be 100% unashamed to be caught holding hands with  in public .......

Just kidding.......

58 minutes ago, Black Hills Barb said:

....previous text removed ONLY to 5a29570cdcef5_SavethePlanet-RESIZED.jpg.bbe73c2275655720d10bc643a58684d1.jpg.

Read this as if I am very calm and reassuring; trying to explain how both sides can see things in two entirely different ways - which is how I am typing it.  Now go back and read it like it's in all caps with explanation marks, bold words, and nasty little emoticons.  Imagine I am talking down to you.  It sure changes your perception of the statement and me as a person doesn't it.  Unfortunately this is the downside of electronic messages.  :(

Barb:

Could not agree with you more. :D

When I was the Office Administrator of a Law Firm, one of the topics I discussed on a regular basis at Staff Meetings was communication.

I expounded on the different ways to communicate within the office and choosing the correct method for the situation.

These were (1) Send an email, (2) Call the person and/or leave a VM, and (3) Talk to them in person.

If you have detailed information to provide such as phone number, data, or dollar figures, then use method (1), as I would prefer not to have to write down (and possible get wrong) the information you are verbally relaying. If what you wish to provide could be construed incorrectly in written text, then use (2) as the intonation of your voice will project your intent. And finally, if you want to eliminate all doubt, use (3). 

That's why it has been suggested that the Emoji's be used to help others understand your position and intent. 5a295b0032b09_TipoftheHat-RESIZED.jpg.0978a7ba99c0ddb1a48cea168b25bae6.jpg

I have been on the WIRE for 13 years or so. At no time have I seen a "mass exodus".  Some folks have gotten upset and left, some have gotten bored and left and some have forcibly removed.  I myself have been attacked and simply put the individual in question on "ignore".  I also have been castigated by moderators for my vividly expressed dislike of Wild Bunch.

Still here and plan to stay.

8 minutes ago, Noz said:

I have been on the WIRE for 13 years or so. At no time have I seen a "mass exodus".  Some folks have gotten upset and left, some have gotten bored and left and some have forcibly removed.  I myself have been attacked and simply put the individual in question on "ignore".  I also have been castigated by moderators for my vividly expressed dislike of Wild Bunch.

So you're a Wild Bunch Ambassador?  :P

10 minutes ago, Noz said:

What's not to like about wild bunch?  They're just a bunch of middle to old age folks dressing up in period costumes and playing with guns!  Come to think of it, that's just what we do. :)

Actually, I don't care for wild bunch either, nothing wrong with it, just nothing ever caught my interest.

Guest Grass Range #51406
21 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

The question is asked why the exodus?  But those that are gone are not here to answer, right??  So we're just digging another hole.

BS

Good comment

I have managed to discover the "sass guns and ammo" Facebook page has turned into the "bash the sass wire mods" page by the same guys that complain that the wire isn't about shooting anymore...

3 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

What exodus???:o  Guess I missed it. Not on enough to know who is gone , I reckon.

Cheerfully ignorant , Rex :D

I figure I didn't get invited or just missed the memo. :blush:

I'm on here a lot and I can't tell who's missing either.  :huh: 

Did anyone check to see if they left a note? :ph34r:

On 12/6/2017 at 1:35 PM, Hardcase Hardin said:

The latest one was before my time, but things like this happen on most forums. 

Usually happens when someone has to be right bout a thing  then keeps stirring the pot with a boat paddle until they create enough dissent (there's always someone who'll follow), then a few or a bunch leave with them (usually in a snit) after they feel like they've won their battle or "we don't have to take this".

Welcome to the wonderful world of internet anonymity.

One big difference between this forum and most others, is the lack of anonymity. We use our registered aliases and therefore we often meet and/or know a number of the folks we see on the wire. 

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

I have managed to discover the "sass guns and ammo" Facebook page has turned into the "bash the sass wire mods" page by the same guys that complain that the wire isn't about shooting anymore...

That is a huge mischarachtarization of that page. There is 1 thread there about the wire. There were 2 but I deleted mine because it went in a non productive direction. The page hasn’t “turned into” anything. 

2 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

yes, cuz how DARE anyone have an honest, completely legitimate opinion based on facts that goes against what the sycophants think....and certainly can't be expressed here....<_<

Boomstick, you need to spend more time reading the page.  You are vastly misrepresenting the content of the page, and wrongly casting a bad light upon the people who post there.  

I don't think the Wire has had a mass exodus. Are there less topics posted? Yes. Are there less arguments? Yes.  The "problem" is we have less to argue about.

First off, we've had a number of previously hot topics removed by rules being changed. Rank Points vs. Total Time is probably the best example, but another example is we no longer have the penalty for picking up dropped ammo. If I spent some time thinking about it I could come up with more things we used to cuss and discuss, but the moral of the story is many of the things that the majority of people wanted to see changed eventually got changed. Most all of the dead horses have been fed to the hounds so there's nothing to fight about. 

Like them or not, WTC threads have resulted in a lot of people learning more about the rules including the nuances/clarifications of certain commonly misunderstood rules. I personally used to post way more often and many of those posts were on WTC threads. Now by the time I see a WTC thread, multiple people have replied to the thread with the CORRECT answer. People are getting edge-u-ma-cated. 

I also used to post a good deal in defense of someone who was being jumped on by what I called Wire Professionals. Typically the person being jumped on was a newbie. What a shame that was! We've all heard that it's easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar. I'm definitely in that camp and am happy to see that the Wire Professionals of today seem to be in the same camp. 

It seems to me that what is happening is the Wire is finally beginning to be SASS. It's taking on the same persona as we see at the range. I guess it's a bit boring if you're sitting at a keyboard instead of shooting, but I think that's a good thing. 

1 hour ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

I don't think the Wire has had a mass exodus. Are there less topics posted? Yes. Are there less arguments? Yes.  The "problem" is we have less to argue about.

First off, we've had a number of previously hot topics removed by rules being changed. Rank Points vs. Total Time is probably the best example, but another example is we no longer have the penalty for picking up dropped ammo. If I spent some time thinking about it I could come up with more things we used to cuss and discuss, but the moral of the story is many of the things that the majority of people wanted to see changed eventually got changed. Most all of the dead horses have been fed to the hounds so there's nothing to fight about. 

Like them or not, WTC threads have resulted in a lot of people learning more about the rules including the nuances/clarifications of certain commonly misunderstood rules. I personally used to post way more often and many of those posts were on WTC threads. Now by the time I see a WTC thread, multiple people have replied to the thread with the CORRECT answer. People are getting edge-u-ma-cated. 

I also used to post a good deal in defense of someone who was being jumped on by what I called Wire Professionals. Typically the person being jumped on was a newbie. What a shame that was! We've all heard that it's easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar. I'm definitely in that camp and am happy to see that the Wire Professionals of today seem to be in the same camp. 

It seems to me that what is happening is the Wire is finally beginning to be SASS. It's taking on the same persona as we see at the range. I guess it's a bit boring if you're sitting at a keyboard instead of shooting, but I think that's a good thing. 

Very well said Buck D Law.  I couldn't agree more!!

GB

Really? I'm misrepresenting that page? So then tell my why is it called "guns and ammo" when there are posts about anything other than "guns and ammo"? Including two separate posts bashing the wire. Isn't that the same thing y'all are saying about the wire? I wish I would have screenshot it so I could post it here but I left the page because I wasnt seeing any posts about guns or ammo...

If y'all don't like how the wire is run so much, go start your own forum. Me and another guy did that nearly 10 years ago when we started the 58 Remington forum because we didn't like the way THR was running their black powder section... 

Or leave the wire. Nobody is forcing you to be here. You do that of your free will.

That being said, I've said my peace and I'm done with this thread before I make too many enemies.

38 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Really? I'm misrepresenting that page? So then tell my why is it called "guns and ammo" when there are posts about anything other than "guns and ammo"? Including two separate posts bashing the wire. Isn't that the same thing y'all are saying about the wire? I wish I would have screenshot it so I could post it here but I left the page because I wasnt seeing any posts about guns or ammo...

If y'all don't like how the wire is run so much, go start your own forum. Me and another guy did that nearly 10 years ago when we started the 58 Remington forum because we didn't like the way THR was running their black powder section... 

Or leave the wire. Nobody is forcing you to be here. You do that of your free will.

That being said, I've said my peace and I'm done with this thread before I make too many enemies.

There are more threads here going right now about the wire and how it’s being run than there ever have been on that page in its entire existence. Does that mean that the wire has become the “bash the SASS wire moderators “ page? No, it doesn’t. 2 threads, (one of which is gone) do not define the purpose of an entire forum. 

Then you didn't bother looking for anything other than those two posts....I did and I found a lot of interesting ones, well worth reading, and I only went back a month's worth of posts...fully intend to read more when I have time.  And I think I finally found someplace I can try to get some help and advice about one of my shotguns when I get a chance.  Can't do that here!!  And just because it's called guns and ammo doesn't mean there isn't room for any other topics....this is supposed to be about SASS, yet I've seen plenty more than 2 threads on here that were nothing more than the sycophants sucking up to try to be one of the "special people" that get away with anything and everything...nauseating at best.....and those are the first ones that should be thrown out but never are....

and a few years ago a bunch of us did start our own forum, and it was a hell of a lot better than this...and not once has anyone ever had to moderate anything on it either....only reason I bother with this place any more is to keep an eye out for news about matches and to talk to a few friends who's company I enjoy enough to not want to lose contact with....it's those individuals that keep me coming back, the Wire itself and especially the Saloon aren't hardly worth bothering with anymore

9 hours ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

Good post. MT

2 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

Then you didn't bother looking for anything other than those two posts....I did and I found a lot of interesting ones, well worth reading, and I only went back a month's worth of posts...fully intend to read more when I have time.  And I think I finally found someplace I can try to get some help and advice about one of my shotguns when I get a chance.  Can't do that here!!  And just because it's called guns and ammo doesn't mean there isn't room for any other topics....this is supposed to be about SASS, yet I've seen plenty more than 2 threads on here that were nothing more than the sycophants sucking up to try to be one of the "special people" that get away with anything and everything...nauseating at best.....and those are the first ones that should be thrown out but never are....

and a few years ago a bunch of us did start our own forum, and it was a hell of a lot better than this...and not once has anyone ever had to moderate anything on it either....only reason I bother with this place any more is to keep an eye out for news about matches and to talk to a few friends who's company I enjoy enough to not want to lose contact with....it's those individuals that keep me coming back, the Wire itself and especially the Saloon aren't hardly worth bothering with anymore

WOW .

I really dont understand everyones bad attitudes about this Shooting Sport,

We all get to dress up and play Cowboy and Cowgirl like we did when we was still kids .

People are taking things to serious ,

Things are starting to sound like IDPA .

It is supposed to be Fun !

I Pray we all get back to the fun and stop taking things so serious .

Rooster 

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Did I miss something? What "Mass exodus"????

Its your fault RYE.   It happened shortly after you switched from BP to the smokyless stuff..... ;)

..........Widder

Archived