SASS Wire Forum

What DID Happen to the WIRE resulting in a Mass Exodus

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

I admit that Phantom was sometimes opinionated and quick to share his thoughts on the Wire.

But I've shared emails with him, talked with him at a couple matches in person, and even talked with him on the phone a few times.   I really enjoyed conversations with him and cherished his friendship.

There were some Posters who purposely tried to get under his skin.  One Poster even acted like he was some sort of family friend of Phantom's family but in reality, it was only to pi$$$$$ Phantom.   

I miss a lot of those who I no longer or rarely see on the Wire:   BJT, Bud, Manatee, Phantom, Deuce, Korupt Karl, the legendary FIREBALL,  and others whose name eludes me at this time.   I hope all of them are doing well.

..........Widder

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Everyone  certainly has the right to their own opinion, however I don't see the need to mock what others do. Some folks , especially newbies probably get a kick out of pictures and badges. Others, not so much. There is such a wealth of information shared by our SASS Pards; Seems better to me to just skip over the post of which you have no interest and read/respond to the ones you do. I've been critiqued a couple of times for my questions, but most always am given good constructive answers. Remember we play this game to have fun.:D Don't quit looking at the wire just because some posts are irritating to you, just skip 'em.;)

I agree with some of this. 

Everyone has an opinion. 

There is only a few that put the silly cartoon type pics, badges and extras on here. 

Sure some folks are new but you learn more by going to and participating in club matches.

Does anyone besides me remember the “Political Fire “ forum? Man, talk about argumentative!  If you didn’t have a degree in debate you would not survive. At least I couldn’t.  I quickly learned to just lurk in that one.

10 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Does anyone besides me remember the “Political Fire “ forum? Man, talk about argumentative!  If you didn’t have a degree in debate you would not survive. At least I couldn’t.  I quickly learned to just lurk in that one.

Politics is a rough game, like football, hockey, or rugby.  It's just not as obvious when you're not cut out to play...

I guess I should have completed my train of thought...

Today’s Wire is rather mild to those of us who experienced the Wire years ago.  I think the Mods do a fine job, and I don’t think any drastic changes are needed.  I enjoy hanging out here, and I appreciate SASS making it available.

45 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

I admit that Phantom was sometimes opinionated and quick to share his thoughts on the Wire.

But I've shared emails with him, talked with him at a couple matches in person, and even talked with him on the phone a few times.   I really enjoyed conversations with him and cherished his friendship.

There were some Posters who purposely tried to get under his skin.  One Poster even acted like he was some sort of family friend of Phantom's family but in reality, it was only to pi$$$$$ Phantom.   

I miss a lot of those who I no longer or rarely see on the Wire:   BJT, Bud, Manatee, Phantom, Deuce, Korupt Karl, the legendary FIREBALL,  and others whose name eludes me at this time.   I hope all of them are doing well.

..........Widder

Yeah I remember that.  I remember who did it too, but since you didn't name him I won't either.  When Phantom was first banned I felt bad for him and hoped he would get to come back.  Now that I've seen so many his comments on FB and seen him ridicule people simply for disagreeing with him I've changed my mind.

Sometimes internet forums bring out the worst in otherwise nice people.  Perhaps they can't 'see' another person on the other end of the conversation and they get carried away, I don't know.

I think Manatee left at least partly because of the way he was treated on the Wire, but did the rest of them leave for that reason too?

5 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Speaking of that, I don't remember what happen to Deja Vu that was always in the saloon?

First, Folks, please try to not hijack this thread. However, I have a hard time criticizing comic relief.

About our darling Deja, she married JJJ, moved three times, and is living happily in Arizona. Y'all were supportive of her when she needed it and I am glad for that.

2 hours ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

FREE PHANTOM!!

No!

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Don't forget Tennessee Stud....... ^_^

OLG

I don't think anyone could.

1 hour ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

The Stud is still around, he's posted a few times lately.:)

I don't think so. 

38 minutes ago, VICIOUS, SASS#8014 said:

IF you want to see a real Exodus, just bring back all the banned posters. At that point you can have my life badge.

No worries. BTW, I am so sorry about your wife's experience. :mellow: Will you please send me a link to the thread so I can talk to the person who made her feel unwelcome.

34 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Especially in your Prayers.

I don't mean this in a 'smart alex' manner.   Serious health issues plague our good friend.  

..........Widder

I agree. I hated to see him have to leave. I too have sympathy for his situation. Long story that, unfortunately, I can not share. There is more than one person who literally hates me and I cannot share the story with them or you, despite the fact that I feel it would vindicate me.

26 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

I shot with BJT in October, it was good to see him again. He has remarried and his wife isn't interested in shooting. Bud is like a son to my husband and I. We :wub: him dearly. He's busy with his young-person's life. BTW1, the only time I've gone to EOT was with BJT and Bud. BTW2 Bud, helped my disabled Hubby, who was an electrician, wire our house.

23 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Rest easy all...................... I am still here:rolleyes:

Thank you for the comic relief! :D

PS Please try to not hijack posts. If you don't, I won't. ;)

PPS Not all of my quoted posts were hijacks. I'm just saying. I think the hijacks may exasperate some folks. You can always start a new thread.

1 hour ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Personally I cant stand any WTC post .

For a wile it bugged the crap out of me .

I would  sometimes make smart alec  comments.

Then I realized I was just being rude .

So I stoped looking at them !

LOL , They dont bother me anymore , Because I dont open them .

Just saying 

Rooster 

I read all the WTC's, they make me think and help understand the correct call. I TO quite a bit and I like to know the correct call. I just ignore the next 2 pages after PaleWolf has given the answer:D. There are posts I have no interest in but as you said I just don't open them. I don't see a need for many changes I just ignore what I don't want to read.

Randy

2 hours ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

FREE PHANTOM!!

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I never had a problem with Phantom personally, for whatever reason he never got around to calling me 'stoopid'.  I see him on facebook relatively frequently and he hasn't changed.  If someone holds an opinion that differs from his he attacks, mocks, and pretty quickly the 'stoopid' stick comes out.  I don't miss him or his comments.

He attacked me a couple of times, but I was willing to fight back.  The problem was that he reserved his most vicious attacks for those who couldn't or wouldn't fight back.  The Wire is a better place without that.

36 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

The Wire is a better place without that

The Wire has an "Ignore" feature ;)

I rather liked the "KillFile" feature in the newsgroups but that terminology might not be very appropriate for this type of forum.

On a side note; I was just telling someone earlier today that I really miss the old style telephones with a handset and receiver.  Back then you could hang up on someone in a way that not only disconnected the call but could also deliver a pretty clear message. :angry:

43 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

He attacked me a couple of times, but I was willing to fight back.  The problem was that he reserved his most vicious attacks for those who couldn't or wouldn't fight back.  The Wire is a better place without that.

And now that Phantom can't reply or "fight back",   Allie Mo and Pat Riot will make sure that he isn't attacked either..... ;)

Our MODS do a tough, but good job.

..........Widder

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have news for all of you. There have been a few "Mass Exodus" occurrences on the Wire over the years.

This entire issue is Deja Vu all over again :D

Deja Vu! I remember her! Hope all is well with her!

31 minutes ago, CodyMaverick said:

I rather liked the "KillFile" feature in the newsgroups but that terminology might not be very appropriate for this type of forum.

On a side note; I was just telling someone earlier today that I really miss the old style telephones with a handset and receiver.  Back then you could hang up on someone in a way that not only disconnected the call but could also deliver a pretty clear message. :angry:

I'm ignoring one member.   But his crap still shows up when someone quotes him.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That's because she lost a bet......:lol: :P

OLG

He kidnapped her.

Stud is my friend!!!

He has been a friend to many others here as well!!

He is banned because he has no filter and says what is on his mind!

I greatly respect that in him and am in his corner despite his unacceptablity in this forum.

I set my own filter to stun in order to prevent my own ostracism. I even edit, critique, and paraphrase my own posts before submitting them. It lets me say what I want to say and often STILL avoid punishment. Some folks can’t do that and so they move on or suffer the consequences.

Studdly has moved on and is satisfied in doing so.

His health has recently taken a turn for the better, thankfully, and he sends greetings to all of his friends here!!

PS: I don’t hate anyone!  There ARE those that I despise, but even those will only know it if they cross my path outside this forum!!;):rolleyes::lol:

Being a new sass wire member. i dont know what the "old wire" was like before the "exodus" but being a member of the SKS boards, gunslingers gultch, and an admin on the 1858 remington forum, i do know that people, topics and interests change or "evolve" into new ideas and topics. Most people are extremely resistant to change and would rather run away than to "ride the tide"...

No more an exodus from the Wire than those no longer shooting SASS matches altogether.  IMO, much ado about nothing.

1 hour ago, CodyMaverick said:

Oh yes! I used it before I became a Moderator. It was quite helpful. However, I am so sorry that anyone here would need to use it or is it I am so sorry anyone would cause another person to need it

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

No more an exodus from the Wire than those no longer shooting SASS matches altogether.  IMO, much ado about nothing.

There are more than a few who no longer share their experience here, but are still active on other forums. They haven’t stopped shooting. Some that still post here, are reluctant to post much so their presence is very limited. 

1 minute ago, Smokestack said:

There are more than a few who no longer share their experience here, but are still active on other forums. They haven’t stopped shooting. Some that still post here, are reluctant to post much so their presence is very limited. 

Still fewer than those that no longer shoot any SASS matches.  I'd rather see an effort to bring folks back to the range.  But, that's a more complicated issue than I can contend with.  

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I set my own filter to stun in order to prevent my own ostracism. I even edit, critique, and paraphrase my own posts before submitting them.

Yep, I still use the 15 minute rule sometimes......cut and paste to word, come back 15 minutes later to see if it's worth posting or if someone has made my point in much more educated manner.;):D

59 minutes ago, Griff said:

I agree, much ado.....I liked the old wire, and I like the current wire. I'm just glad to be a part of CAS;) Good Luck:)

I have always gotten a kick out of people that claim that they do not like a forum or the people in a forum for whatever reason yet they frequent the forum if for nothing else so that they can complain about the forum or the people they dislike.

To me it’s silly. If I don’t like a forum or the people on a forum I just don’t bother with it.

There is a motorcycle forum that I joined a couple of years ago that had / has these 3 members I thought were complete buttheads. They stirred up trouble and belittled people that were new to motorcycles. We banged heads and I got tired of it so I quit the forum. 

Life is too short for BS, drama and immature people with chips on their shoulders. 

Sometimes, here on the Wire, I get a little perturbed at folks but I have to say that for the most part we have a great bunch of folks here and I enjoy coming on here on a daily basis. Even if it’s just for a little while.

I can be as abrasive as anybody and God knows I have my own opinions.   I have to say that the quality of discussion has really improved over the past months.  I think the moderators are doing a good job.   The key is to actually read what others post and think about adding to the discussion instead of just being butt hurt.  That is hard sometimes, but the only way to go.   I am sorry of some have left the wire, but I suspect they will come back.   As to the Facebook pages, they add to my enjoyment of SASS in a different way.  

All one has to do is read this thread, or the thread "edge hits", to understand why so many great shooters have left the wire.  I disagree that all wires have the same problem.  Brian Enos wire was a place to learn from the best, regardless of the topic.  Top shooters were excited to get on the wire and share their knowledge.  I enjoy going on the wire to look for information to assist me in my shooting.  Most of the time a world class shooter responds to the wire, it is topic he or she wants to share.  When the topic goes south, they get off. If they get off to many times, they do not come back.   I wish I had the technical knowledge to get the champions forum going.  Bottom line is I didn't.  I didn't start it to have my own forum, but to develop something SASS may have wanted to develop for this wire.  I have talked to many champions over the six years and have seen their frustration.  I still enjoy going on from time to time, but am frustrated that many of the best of the best have left.  I hate to be negative because I know those involved are working hard to keep it going and appreciate your hard work.  I have just accepted that most on the wire are for the entertainment business.

The Wire runs much cooler than it used to and with a lot less traffic than I remember when I first got on it in ‘04. I’ve quit the Wire a couple of times, once for a year back then after getting into it with a fella who’s name keeps popping up in this thread. One time I caught myself banging out an angry response on the keyboard to a guy who I thought was being an a$$401e and I realized that by writing angry I was being the a$$401e. That realization kept me away awhile. I learned from one of my good cowboy buddies to follow the joy. I don’t shoot at a club if I don’t feel joy there and I do my dangdest to stay out of threads that get warm but it’s easier to do that these days thanks to good, if occasionally overzealous, moderation. Or maybe I just learned something and got smarter.

It could happen.

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'm ignoring one member.   But his crap still shows up when someone quotes him.

I was ignoring one member just because his comments were generally negative, unhelpful, and struck me as someone who's only interest was to find things to criticize others about.  Well just recently, I read some of his comments that were quoted by someone else and was impressed.  Apparently, this guy can and will contribute positively to the discussion.  He just has to be inspired and/or in the mood to do so.  I took him out of my ignored list and will go back to reading his posts when they show up even though most of them will just cause me to shake my head, sigh, and scroll on.

Two items make the WIRE worthwhile and lessen my blood pressure.

The ignore feature and the delete key.  One for incoming and one for outgoing.

8 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Oh yes! I used it before I became a Moderator. It was quite helpful. However, I am so sorry that anyone here would need to use it or is it I am so sorry anyone would cause another person to need it

I once ask the Wire Pards to let me know if I was on their 'Ignore' list or not.

NOBODY REPLIED !   :ph34r:  

Then I noticed that NOBODY viewed the post..... :lol::lol:

I felt like Rodney Dangerfield..... :P

..........Widder

15 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

....and I'm assuming that everything that could be discussed caused the Forum to close and become reference only.

5a2861d0e175d_TheOPENRANGEForumclosed.JPG.46ae3e64357e414d76beef8cd351a1f0.JPG

No. From my perspective.

One of the more active members and a very prolific poster died.

He was liked by a great number of active and inactive members of that forum.

Without his participation it seemed to take the desire to participate out of a lot of people.

Eventually participation dwindled to almost nothing and Hedley made it reference only.

Just my opinion.

kR

EDIT: It is a GREAT source of reference material for CAS

Archived