SASS Wire Forum

What DID Happen to the WIRE resulting in a Mass Exodus

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

On another THREAD, Deuce Stevens responded with the following POST:

5a2828b4de0f3_DeuceStevens-MassExodusPOST.thumb.JPG.869c722ab16a4268fcd00e057de56573.JPG

Does anyone know when this mass exodus occurred and what caused it (if known) ? :o

NOTE: Requested a move to the SASS SALOON, if required.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, there were some great discussions then, maybe if a couple of them could have held their sharp tongue just a little.........but I thought it was great and enjoyed a good debut that when on for five or seven pages...Rev. Say Yer Prayers could make you think;) I hope the Rev. is still around, if you see him tell him we said Hi!!. :) At least it wasn't like you know who Joe way back when:wacko: Good Luck:)

(FWIW the Rev. was a good guy and I'm sure we would enjoy having him back...but he can push yer buttons);)

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

I have news for all of you. There have been a few "Mass Exodus" occurrences on the Wire over the years.

This entire issue is Deja Vu all over again :D

The latest one was before my time, but things like this happen on most forums. 

Usually happens when someone has to be right bout a thing  then keeps stirring the pot with a boat paddle until they create enough dissent (there's always someone who'll follow), then a few or a bunch leave with them (usually in a snit) after they feel like they've won their battle or "we don't have to take this".

Welcome to the wonderful world of internet anonymity.

36 minutes ago, Hardcase Hardin said:

The latest one was before my time, but things like this happen on most forums. 

Usually happens when someone has to be right bout a thing  then keeps stirring the pot with a boat paddle until they create enough dissent (there's always someone who'll follow), then a few or a bunch leave with them (usually in a snit) after they feel like they've won their battle or "we don't have to take this".

Welcome to the wonderful world of internet anonymity.

No doubt this type stuff happens.

BUT, we also have to recognize the opposite happens.

There have been times where a Poster would ask a question.   Then a knowledgable Pard, based on personal experiences and education, would reply with an honest answer.

THEN, either the Poster or someone else, would try to discredit the Pard and often times without supplying an alternative answer or effort to help the original Poster with the question.

Its about the same thing I encountered on the Marlinowners website.   Somebody would have an issue and others would help supply an answer.  Then some IDJUT would post a comment totally ignorant of the situation and try to discredit others who were trying to give honest help.

AND, often times the person seeking help and information NEVER replied with any feedback.

I've seen it happen on the Wire.   After a while, ya got some GREAT Pards who give up and take their knowledge and wisdom else where to be more appreciated.

..........Widder

Some of us have taken our plainest talk and opinions to other venues rather than be chastised or regulated here. We just make those statements and observations on other forums where there is more "Freedom of Expression".

It isn't anything against the folks who run this forum, for the most part. They have rules and they have to enforce them!!  They may even agree with a statement or sentiment that can't be presented here. I know this because I've exchanged these views with some of them privately!  But we can go to other forums and make those statements or observations and not jeopardize our standing here.  AND!! Doing so relieves the moderators of the responsibility of having to reprimand or banish us for having violated the rules.

IF YOU DON"T COME HERE TO BE INSULTED, WHERE GO YOU USUALLY GO???  <_<:ph34r::lol::lol:

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have news for all of you. There have been a few "Mass Exodus" occurrences on the Wire over the years.

This entire issue is Deja Vu all over again :D

Speaking of that, I don't remember what happen to Deja Vu that was always in the saloon?

People visit and leave Internet forums all of the time. I wouldn’t call it a mass exodus because there is no way to tell how many forum visitors there were then or there are presently. I’ve visited several wood working forums and FB pages over the years and over time some of them have lost my interest because of different issues. Some of those forums have noticeable moderation some have none at all and nearly everyone that posts something they’ve built gets flamed big time. I guess I’d have to ask those that think the moderators are to heavy handed what do you expect them to do when new SASS members ask a question that’s been asked many times before and gets ridiculed for it or worse.

One WW page I really liked has become a pretty vile shouting match. I’d hate to see what would happen if some of those guys ever met face to face. 

It is a shame that a newcomer, asking an honest question, is derided because he asked a question.  The search function is not always that easy to navigate. If you know an answer, but don't want to answer because the question has been asked and answered many times. THEN DON'T ANSWER! No need to strut your superior knowledge that you are not willing to share, and maybe putting off a newcomer.

I moderate a Texas HS sports forum. trust me, the SASS wire is tame compared to that hot mess.  My advice on there when folks become argumentative is  "just because a jackass brays at you, it doesn't mean you have to bray back"

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

.... previous text removed ONLY to 5a28560fdf13b_SavethePlanet-RESIZED.jpg.d23d16777a13b65fdeb48313f7615b97.jpg .

Its about the same thing I encountered on the Marlinowners website.   Somebody would have an issue and others would help supply an answer.  Then some IDJUT would post a comment totally ignorant of the situation and try to discredit others who were trying to give honest help.

AND, often times the person seeking help and information NEVER replied with any feedback.

I've seen it happen on the Wire.   After a while, ya got some GREAT Pards who give up and take their knowledge and wisdom else where to be more appreciated.

..........Widder

AMEN, Widder. I've run across many of these 5a285680c46dc_HappyCowboy-NateOwensPainting-RESIZED.jpg.19272da495f3183e730d39e0914861e1.jpg .

46 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

People visit and leave Internet forums all of the time. I wouldn’t call it a mass exodus because there is no way to tell how many forum visitors there were then or there are presently. I’ve visited several wood working forums and FB pages over the years and over time some of them have lost my interest because of different issues. Some of those forums have noticeable moderation some have none at all and nearly everyone that posts something they’ve built gets flamed big time. I guess I’d have to ask those that think the moderators are to heavy handed what do you expect them to do when new SASS members ask a question that’s been asked many times before and gets ridiculed for it or worse.

One WW page I really liked has become a pretty vile shouting match. I’d hate to see what would happen if some of those guys ever met face to face. 

Yul Lose: + 5a2857319dcfd_InfinityRopeHorseshoeTatoo-RESIZED.jpg.85c2d93b1ec54899d2055b06c3588f69.jpg

13 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It is a shame that a newcomer, asking an honest question, is derided because he asked a question.  The search function is not always that easy to navigate. If you know an answer, but don't want to answer because the question has been asked and answered many times. THEN DON'T ANSWER! No need to strut your superior knowledge that you are not willing to share, and maybe putting off a newcomer.

I moderate a Texas HS sports forum. trust me, the SASS wire is tame compared to that hot mess.  My advice on there when folks become argumentative is  "just because a jackass brays at you, it doesn't mean you have to bray back"

Hoss:

Well said. All the above responses, have hit the nail on the head.

3 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

you wouldn't like hearing the truth if we told you.....and most of us aren't stupid enough to do it publically anyway<_<

Mary:

Don't have to be told.   

Doing my due diligence, researching the SASS Archives, I've already uncovered and read many of the situations whereby words were said in anger from one member to another, resulting in either one or the other parties getting "banned", (PM Sent as proof), but to their credit, I also uncovered scenarios whereby, an honest apology was opening provided and accepted by the other member. As it should be, that's the 5a285a3b4c1ba_TheCowboyWay-RESIZED.jpg.02dd27e4fb4c319c28de865e147804aa.jpg.

43 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I've been on a variety of discussion forums varying from guns to politics to body building to any number of other things.  The phenomenon you mention is universal to all of them and probably the one I hate the most.  It take more effort to make a snotty reply about the search function than it does to simply ignore the question.  Why act like an ass when there's no need?  Grinds my gears. :angry:

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

5a2828b4de0f3_DeuceStevens-MassExodusPOST.thumb.JPG.869c722ab16a4268fcd00e057de56573.JPG

Does anyone know when this mass exodus occurred and what caused it (if known) ? :o

Yeah its all these posts with the crazy pictures and badges.

Plus it's the "Why don't we start....." posts by people that aren't even SASS members.

I'm getting tired of it.

From what I see some Top  Shooters are worshipped like Cowboy God's .

And if you disagree with there opnion you get black balled by all there  Cronies .

I was raised to treat and talk to people with respect and treat them the way you would want to be treated .

But I also was raised to never kiss someone's Azz  Because they can do something better or faster than you .

Some of use are content shooting in the last 4 or 5 places in this game .

It dont matter were I come in a given shoot .

I live a fast paced life and Cowboy Action shooting is a Relaxing Hobby that I injoy.

If I have to Practice 3 or 5 times a week .

And work on my transitions to shoot faster .

It sounds like a part time job and NOT a relaxing hobby to me.

So some of them Top shooter will take there ball and go elsewhere

And there Leaches will follow .

Thats OK with me .

Im here for fun and enjoyment

When it Ceases to be fun,  I will Cease to do it !

I will decide that myself .

Not the Cowboy  with His Ball who thinks its all about him !

Just sayin 

Rooster 

"mass  exodus from the wire back.  Meaningful topics, discussions, etc"

I can concur to this statement with the continuous volume of

* The Wire being populated as a Match Calendar instead of the specific forum

* The volume of "WTC's" instead of the poster opening up the SASS Handbook

* Who has ...

* Looking for 'xyz' loads

After awhile, these repetitive posts are like a washed out skinny chicken in the soup

Now, for Meaningful topics, discussions, etc" ... take a look at the Open Range that is read only since 2013 ...

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php

12 minutes ago, John Boy said:

* Who has ...

After awhile, these repetitive posts are like a washed out skinny chicken in the soup

Now, for Meaningful topics, discussions, etc" ... take a look at the Open Range that is read only since 2013 ...

....and I'm assuming that everything that could be discussed caused the Forum to close and become reference only.

5a2861d0e175d_TheOPENRANGEForumclosed.JPG.46ae3e64357e414d76beef8cd351a1f0.JPG

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Before my time however; Sometimes it is best to let sleeping dogs lie.

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

* Who has ...

Having Match Events, etc. posted here gets more exposure, and speaking for myself the banter, etc. of a match is what made me attend many that I probable never would have.

As to "WTC" post's. For some the book may not be clear to the reade/poster and more clear explanations, I can see by many who answer, are also confused. The post clarify it for all of us and has helped me numerous times.

Repetitive post's, Sometimes a newbie has trouble or is not aware that the subject has been posted before. This is were also were we can be better representatives of our game and reply and possible a link to past subject matters rather then blast them with a "here we go again", or other negative replies.

Rather then wait for someone else to come up with "post" that are of interest to "you", rather then complain, start post which do interest you.

Probable 80% of the shooters that attend matches do it for the fun, enjoyment, and comrade. they probable will never be buckle contenders, or win a major event or local monthly, but without them, (me included), and if they mass exodus from our Forum, matches, we probable wouldn't exist anymore, (can you imagine EOT or Winter Range with just 100 shooters, or other matches with only 10% of what was attending and shooting)?   I'm sure every member or poster here come from different lifestyles, and have certain interest, or wish to increase their knowledge, which to many maybe repetitive, but what I read, many forgot that they were new here, asked questions to increase or learn more to and for this game.

I also see at many matches over the past couple years were shooting and winning is becoming to seriously for a few, and their missing out on the other things CAS is all about.  I see to many leaving a match because of MDQs, or a call they disagree with, etc.

Now I'm reading the "Wire" should be more serious????

Again, if the post of late have been of no interest, start posts that are. I do many times to learn and progress.

Just my thoughts, MT

The question is asked why the exodus?  But those that are gone are not here to answer, right??  So we're just digging another hole.

BS

When we started cowboy action shooting and soon joined SASS and found the Wire,  I looked for aliases I would recognize.  I found almost no post from the local club members.  At next match,  I asked around.   In general, they goofed on the Wire forum.  They seemed to know what was going on as they laughed about some of the topics that were ragging on and on about things they felt were trivial but apparently never log in or made posts. 

Yesterday I made a Google search and found some archived Wire posts.  Reading them took me back a few years to when the Wire was not so controlled and some made a sport at being abrasive and rude.  I appreciate the work the moderators are doing. 

2 hours ago, Judge'm All Duncan, SASS#67320 said:

Yeah its all these posts with the crazy pictures and badges.

Plus it's the "Why don't we start....." posts by people that aren't even SASS members.

I'm getting tired of it.

Everyone  certainly has the right to their own opinion, however I don't see the need to mock what others do. Some folks , especially newbies probably get a kick out of pictures and badges. Others, not so much. There is such a wealth of information shared by our SASS Pards; Seems better to me to just skip over the post of which you have no interest and read/respond to the ones you do. I've been critiqued a couple of times for my questions, but most always am given good constructive answers. Remember we play this game to have fun.:D Don't quit looking at the wire just because some posts are irritating to you, just skip 'em.;)

It seems as tho one or more users have taken it upon themselves to complain to the moderators about every post they do not like.

If I had to point to only one thing, that would be the beginning of the end.

Smoke

1 hour ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

FREE PHANTOM!!

I never had a problem with Phantom personally, for whatever reason he never got around to calling me 'stoopid'.  I see him on facebook relatively frequently and he hasn't changed.  If someone holds an opinion that differs from his he attacks, mocks, and pretty quickly the 'stoopid' stick comes out.  I don't miss him or his comments.

30 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Don't forget Tennessee Stud....... ^_^

OLG

Especially in your Prayers.

I don't mean this in a 'smart alex' manner.   Serious health issues plague our good friend.  

..........Widder

38 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Everyone  certainly has the right to their own opinion, however I don't see the need to mock what others do. Some folks , especially newbies probably get a kick out of pictures and badges. Others, not so much. There is such a wealth of information shared by our SASS Pards; Seems better to me to just skip over the post of which you have no interest and read/respond to the ones you do. I've been critiqued a couple of times for my questions, but most always am given good constructive answers. Remember we play this game to have fun.:D Don't quit looking at the wire just because some posts are irritating to you, just skip 'em.;)

Personally I cant stand any WTC post .

For a wile it bugged the crap out of me .

I would  sometimes make smart alec  comments.

Then I realized I was just being rude .

So I stoped looking at them !

LOL , They dont bother me anymore , Because I dont open them .

Just saying 

Rooster 

Archived