SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Trap

Renegade Roper

Our club wants to try cowboy trap.  What are the "rules" you normally see?  Keep in mind I know squat about regular trap.  Lol.  Thanks. Roper

shot with match approved shotguns is the only rule, pretty much, Trap is a 25 bird game, but a club could make it 10 if they wanted to. I know of no official rules for 'cowboy trap. '

The rule most usually encountered is ... Cowboy legal shotguns only! ( Good rule )

Your local trapper will likely help with the technical aspects of running the trap and trap shooting scoring in general.

A couple variations you can try in "cowboy" trap that are fun and challenging are 2 man team and "wobble"! 

If there are enough shooters, don't forget to have a blackpowder FC category as well. Its fun to make smoke and bust birds at the same time!

The " World Intergalactic Wobble Trap Championships" was held at the New Mexico State shoot this past October and it was a blast:lol: 

You will be amazed what some Cowboys can do with a 97 Winnie or a SKB on the trap range! Then there are Cowboys such as Goatneck Clem, Hands and Mica Maguire....I'm not sure they are human when it comes to shotgunnning :D

Wobble trap is fast and fun, non stop action. It can be shot from the back of the trap house to the 16 yard position depending on how creative your range master wants to be. 

Some shooters will have concerns on the cowboy loads not being able to break birds which really isn't the case. Anything from low recoil loads on up will get the job done if the shooter does their part. 1 ounce at 1000 FPS is all it takes IMO.

You might want to limit the length of the barrels that can be used.  A 20" coach gun is a handicap against a 28 inch pump or SXS.

Maybe for some a 20" might be A physiological handicap,  but a 20"  barreled 97 can break 25 as efficiently as longer tubes. They swing faster IMO and you experience less fatigue shooting multiple flights in succession. The longer doubles point very well no doubt. I may be odd on this, but my 97s are much more natural on the point than my longer SXS guns!

Cowboy trap with a hammered  LC Smith shooting BP definitely does have a certain Wow fun factor as well! 

I say let them all play......I aint screeered of them long barreled goose guns :lol:

This is just one Cowboys opinion!

Cowboy Trap

Rats, came here expecting to see pictures of a live-capture box baited with old Winchesters, Colts, chaps and chinks, cold beer and boxes of cigars.

Am I disappointed!   :(

GJ

Howdy

There are no 'official rules' regarding Cowboy Trap, other than it is supposed to be shot with SASS legal shotguns. Sometimes somebody will show up with a Winchester Model 12, but that ain't right.

Regular Trap consists of a 'round' which is 25 shots. There are five stations, arranged in a gentle arc, numbered 1 to 5 from left to right, each 16 yards from the trap machine. The squad consists of 5 shooters, each one taking of the five stations. The shooter at station 1 is the squad leader. The squad leader takes the first shot, then each shooter takes their turn taking one shot. The pattern repeats until everybody has fired 5 shots. After everybody has fired 5 shots, everybody rotates one position to the right, just like in volleyball. The shooter at station 5 walks to station 1. Then the squad leader starts the pattern again, this time from station 2. After everyone has shot another 5 shots the squad rotates again. This continues until everybody has fired 25 shots.

The trap machine constantly rotates back and forth so that whenever a target is called for, it launches the target in what ever direction it happens to be facing. There is an interrupter built into the trap machine, so it is impossible to predict exactly where each target will go. So you don't try to anticipate, you just watch for the target and shoot it. If you think you know where your target is going to go you will probably miss. The apparent angle the target is traveling at will vary depending on which station the shooter is standing at, and which direction the target is traveling. The apparent angle can vary from a straight away shot to one traveling pretty hard to the right or left. You have to judge how far to lead the target by how much apparent angle it has from where you are shooting.

Trap is usually shot with 12 gauge guns with reasonably tight chokes. I use a 12 gauge Model 12 with a 30" barrel and a full choke. Most guys use an improved modified choke, which is a bit more open.  When I shoot Cowboy Trap I use a Model 1897 with a 30" full choke barrel. I usually do pretty good with it. Using short barrels and wide open chokes will be a handicap.

At our State shoot we have Cowboy Clays not trap. Cowboy shotguns only like mentioned before. We use 3 stations with 5 birds each position. There's been categories for SxS, 97/87 , Male, Female, Buckaroo and Buckerette.  Smokeless and BP hasn't been separate but it's something to consider now that you mention it. Top shooters in each category gets a certificate. Sorry...no Belt Buckle....but it's fun.

8 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Rats, came here expecting to see pictures of a live-capture box baited with old Winchesters, Colts, chaps and chinks, cold beer and boxes of cigars.

GJ

And How Do You Feel

when you see a sign

along the highway that announces

COWBOY SHOOT ?

I feel your pain, Brother !

These Cowboys can be such Ramrod "STICK Teases" !

OP-Does your club have a true 'trap-house' to throw 'birds'?

Use SASS legal SG and follow ATA rules for 5 position 16yd trap.

Or reduce to 3 position using the 2 outside and center spot on the 16yd line.

They will want a bit heavier load than what is used in a SASS match.

OLG

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OP-Does your club have a true 'trap-house' to throw 'birds'?

Use SASS legal SG and follow ATA rules for 5 position 16yd trap.

Or reduce to 3 position using the 2 outside and center spot on the 16yd line.

They will want a bit heavier load than what is used in a SASS match.

OLG

Deleted

Cowboy Clays can pretty much be run in any format you care to set up.  I set the targets for this years EOT, and we used the Super Sporting format.  5 Stations, with 3 traps each.  2 single targets, 3 report pairs (second bird launched when you fire at the first) and 1 true pair, for a total of 50 birds.  All targets had to be breakable with a cylinder choke (i.e. within 35 yards) have a good window of visibility.  Other than that,  whatever we can make them do is fair game (including one on Station 5 that came from behind, over head and floated to the ground about 20 yards out).  There was also Cowboy 5 stand, which is a 3 person team game that requires cooperation, planning, and a cool head... so obviously hilarity ensues.

Figure out how to make the game, with whatever set up you have, fun... Not just play the same old same old with cowboy guns. 

If I was using a trap field, I think a good game would be to put a hula hoop on the ground at the left and right side of the house, and directly behind it.  That way the angles would be a bit more challenging, but your break point would be 20-25 yards out, as opposed to 37 (the average) for shooting from the 16 yard line.  Another possibility is to take a bit of spring off the trap to slow the birds down from the ATA required 42 miles per hour.

According to SASS rules, any single barrel shotgun is legal, including those with ejectors. This allows BT-99's, K-80's, etc. to be legal SASS legal for Cowboy Trap; oh well!

Church Key

10 minutes ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

According to SASS rules, any single barrel shotgun is legal, including those with ejectors. This allows BT-99's, K-80's, etc. to be legal SASS legal for Cowboy Trap; oh well!

Church Key

CK

I agree with you on the BT-99 but the K-80 is an over under 2 barrel gun.  Just did a search and you are correct they make a single barrel K-80 model, I should have done the search first.

21 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Wobble trap is fast and fun, non stop action. It can be shot from the back of the trap house to the 16 yard position depending on how creative your range master wants to be. 

Some shooters will have concerns on the cowboy loads not being able to break birds which really isn't the case. Anything from low recoil loads on up will get the job done if the shooter does their part. 1 ounce at 1000 FPS is all it takes IMO.

Ok so what is wobble trap??

1 hour ago, Renegade Roper said:

Ok so what is wobble trap??

In wobble trap the trap machine not only ossolates right and left but also up and down.

18 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

In wobble trap the trap machine not only ossolates right and left but also up and down.

Yup, that's about it!

Another version is Team Wobble trap......... 

2 shooters and 25 birds on wobble in succession with no stoppage from the 1st to last bird! Sounds easy, but it takes communication and skill ( luck) :lol:

2 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

Church Key

I got booted off a cowboy trap match at an out-of-state trap side match for using a legal BT-99.  I did not protest because the BP category was cancelled.  I shot not for score and did poorly because at that point I had a bad attitude.

4 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

According to SASS rules, any single barrel shotgun is legal

wouldn't it have external hammers ?

Excerpt from the CAS Shooter's Handbook. Version 22.3, November 2017:

"Shotgun Requirements

Any side-by-side or single shot shotgun typical of the period from approximately 1860 until 1899 with or without external hammers, having single or double triggers is allowed. Automatic ejectors are allowed on single shot break action, lever, and pump action shotguns ONLY......"

Church Key (emphasis mine)

16 minutes ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

"Shotgun Requirements

Any side-by-side or single shot shotgun typical of the period from approximately 1860 until 1899 with or without external hammers, having single or double triggers is allowed. Automatic ejectors are allowed on single shot break action, lever, and pump action shotguns ONLY......"

So from what I read a BT-99 or a K-80 would not be of the period and therfore would not qualify for SASS cowboy trap.

55 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

So from what I read a BT-99 or a K-80 would not be of the period and therfore would not qualify for SASS cowboy trap.

That's a good quote!

7 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

"Shotgun Requirements

emphasis mine.

Hey Renegade!

Clay targets were my main game for over 5 decades.  I often shot black powder skeet and trap with Double Tap Taylor. He won the Winter Range black powder skeet side match in 2016 and I won it last year. That being said:

If it just a fun event just have everyone bring their regular match guns and shoot. If it is a serious competition there ar a lot of variables that can be considered to give advantages in skeet or trap.

Skeet best shot with open choke shotguns. Optimum range 20 to 25 yards.  My 24 inch (cylinder bore) SKB with stronger target loads with #8 or 9 shot does a great job. A longer barrel or tighter choked shotgun could be a disadvantage as ultralight loads could be. 

Trap, at the shortest or 16 yard line (30 to 40 yard optimum range) can be shot with any CAS shotgun but a tighter choked ( modified or full choke ) shotgun would be an advantage to many shooters.   Again loads that get your velocity up to 1100 to 1200 fps would be an advantage over very light CAS loads. 

Hope to to see you sometime this year. Going to my first shoot down here in NC tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

Cowboy clays at Gunsmoke were a blast :) 12 clays  total from 4 stations.  Started at first station in the open, last three shot through windows from the train.  The first 11 clays thrown into the berm, the last clay was a rabbit.  I happen to know the winner was using a 97 with a pipe cutter shortened barrel and heavier tar get loads.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:29 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

GJ

Well, I am glad you broke the ice on that ‘cause I was envisioning a pretty cowgirl with a bottle and a lariat!

12 hours ago, Black Mike said:

Hey Renegade!

Clay targets were my main game for over 5 decades.  I often shot black powder skeet and trap with Double Tap Taylor. He won the Winter Range black powder skeet side match in 2016 and I won it last year. That being said:

If it just a fun event just have everyone bring their regular match guns and shoot. If it is a serious competition there ar a lot of variables that can be considered to give advantages in skeet or trap.

Skeet best shot with open choke shotguns. Optimum range 20 to 25 yards.  My 24 inch (cylinder bore) SKB with stronger target loads with #8 or 9 shot does a great job. A longer barrel or tighter choked shotgun could be a disadvantage as ultralight loads could be. 

Trap, at the shortest or 16 yard line (30 to 40 yard optimum range) can be shot with any CAS shotgun but a tighter choked ( modified or full choke ) shotgun would be an advantage to many shooters.   Again loads that get your velocity up to 1100 to 1200 fps would be an advantage over very light CAS loads. 

Hope to to see you sometime this year. Going to my first shoot down here in NC tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

Good luck Mike!  Hope to see you at WR again.

Archived