SASS Wire Forum

Brass Frames do bend

Come On Christmas

I bought a 44 Caliber Pietta brass framed 1858 Remington replica from Cabelas.

i made cigarette paper cartridges with .454 wheel weight bullets.  On my Iron 1858.  A hassle, but it cut the paper and made a lead ring.

Using the brass frame model pressure broke the pivot screw and bent the frame and buggered the hole the pivot screw what works the ram that seats the ball.

Does anyone have history with Cabelas and returns of this type?

i have the box and bought said pistol with a Cabelas Credit Card.

Crayfish

AKA Shameless Womanizer

Muzzle loaders are supposed to use pure, soft lead. Wheel weights, with tin and antimony alloyed in, are too hard.

You used the wrong material and destroyed your gun.

Why should Cabelas take it back?

I hate to say it but it looks like you have made a mistake, Crayfish. You could call Cabela’s and ask but I doubt they will refund or replace the revolver but you will never know unless you ask. 

The bright side is you have some decent spare parts if you can’t exchange it.

As stated already.

Wheel weights bullets are to hard .

For Cap Guns ( especially Brass Frame guns ) you only want to use soft lead Projectiles.

But you do have a good start on spare Cap Gun Parts .

Rooster 

$120 Mistake used Cabelas Points.

I see a steel frame ever now and again on Ebay and GunsMakeMeBroker.

I HAVE USED WHEEL WEIGHT LEAD FOR YEARS IN STEEL CAP GUNS.

Ha, I did UNFRIENDLY Lumpy Grits I can only read his comments if I’m not signed in.  Gotta remember to do that.

Shameless

22 minutes ago, Crayfish 57929 said:

Thanks July.  You answered my question.

Wow, tough room.

True. I will say that, like Badlands Bob, I wish some of my mistakes only cost me as much as $120-$180.

I have made some whoppers! :D

I'm curious - and this is not a criticism; I just would like to know - how you've managed to use wheel weight balls on other C&B revolvers. If properly sized, I'd expect loading to have been a booger.

Someone once borrowed my T/C Maxi-Ball mold, and as a favor cast a bunch of WW Maxi-Balls for me to shoot out of my Hawken.  I think I tried one... needed a hammer to get it started in the bore.  Melted the rest down for .45 Colt pills.

53 minutes ago, Crayfish 57929 said:

Thanks July.  You answered my question.

Wow, tough room.

YESSIR!!  You can expect to be excoriated severely here when you tell on yourself!!  But we use velvet bindings when we crack the whip!!!  :lol::lol:

Some wheel weights can be used in cap and ball guns.  In my experience, stick on wheel weights are very soft pure or at least close to pure lead, with a BHN of about 5.  I save the stick on wheel weights for casting black powder projectiles and use the clip on wheel weights for smokeless loads.

24 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'm curious - and this is not a criticism; I just would like to know - how you've managed to use wheel weight balls on other C&B revolvers. If properly sized, I'd expect loading to have been a booger.

Someone once borrowed my T/C Maxi-Ball mold, and as a favor cast a bunch of WW Maxi-Balls for me to shoot out of my Hawken.  I think I tried one... needed a hammer to get it started in the bore.  Melted the rest down for .45 Colt pills.

What caused the problem was the extra couple of thousands due to the cigarette paper cartridge.  And the brass frame.

As for my Hawken, fits perfectly for my ramrod.  Major umpf.

Try a thinner wad?  Put a small bit of wad centered in the wad with a thinner wad.  The guys at my muzzleloader say this prevents burning the bullet.  I dunno if I buy into that.

4334C6EA-4FC6-467C-AF78-AD881CF405D4.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I have steel frame and a nickeled frame.

i see a used frame every once in a while.  Was like $80

Maybe I'm missing something from your narrative, but it appears you believe pistol bullets will perform better if the balls are pressed in the chamber over a wad, like front-stuffing rifles? If that's not it, I'm curious about the rationale. Not to flame anyone, just curious. 

Archived