SASS Wire Forum

American Gun Co 12 ga SxS

Hardcase Hardin

Found one near my (Maine) home base. 

I seem to recall a recent FS post in the classifieds for one, but can't find it now.

-Anyways...It is stamped American Gun Company - New York

-Advertised as approx. 1916, looks to be regular steel bbls, not damascus.  I'd only run BP in it anyways.

-Furniture is in good condition, tho seller says the fore-grip wiggles a bit, but latches and stays put.

-Just received some pics of it this morning.  It might rate a Fair Cond. overall if the crud in the chambers turns out to be dust bunnies. 

Even so, $300 is a tad much, but talks are in progress and I have a friend that would make the 30 min run to go look and maybe grab it for me if we get to that point.

Done a bit of searching round the web and read that its actually made by Crescent and sold by a large hardware shop in the day with the American brand name.  I also understand these were kinda like the Ford Pintos of shotguns, unless they bear the Knickerbocker stamp, which this one doesn't appear to.  So, again, IF it pans out, I'd be looking to chop it down to Coach gun length and run it in matches.

Anyone have more info/advise about it?

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (7).jpg

Looks like it's on face from the picture.   If the lockup is tight and everything is there an working,  you should have a fun old shotgun to play with.  

When examining it, check to see if the firing pins move in and out and are not broken, mushroomed, missing or damaged. 

Check hammers to see of they actually cock and spring action feels right.  Lower the hammers while holding the trigger down until they push the firing pin in - then let up to see if the hammer rebounds to the safety notch.  

I've had to tighten the forend on a number or old doubles.  If you decide to buy, I can give you some ideas on making a repair.

I'd suggest having the chambers cut to make sure they'll take modern 2-3/4" folded crimp shells unless you're going to shoot brass hulls or cut and roll crimp.  None of these old guns were chambered for modern ammo.  

Thanks Warden.

Seller tells me it locks up nice & tight, the only wiggle is the fore end.  He replied back and if I understand aright the crud is dust bunnies, but will get that clarified.

If I go for this, My brother or a trusted friend will go look it over and get it for me, but I'll be sure to pass on the advise you gave.  And I was planning on running BP only in it, but I'll get the chamber squared away before that.

45 minutes ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

I just can't believe that someone would go to the trouble to photo a shotgun bore and not swab the crud and bunnies out first!

Blackfoot:wacko:

Yeah I was a little surprised when I saw it. 

I would never post something up for sale in that condition, let alone take pics of it that way unless they were "Before" pics.

I shoot one like that (Cresent) with prefect bores, locks-up tight as new with no pitting... Paid $ 225  Canadian Dollars for it ...

it's not for Sale ...

I think $300 is way to much for one that looks like the one in your photos ....

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks a bunch fellers!  Yeah, I'm thinking $150 is plenty.  It'll be interesting to see if he'll go that low.

And under the "what to look for when buying an old gun" banner, I found this one from Dave Canterbury.

Covers every point that Warden called out and maybe a few others too.  And a sweet old gem of a shotty.

The large doll's head between the chambers makes for slightly slower loading.  Same problem that the old Greener designs have for use in cowboy shooting.

Stock and forearm need to be in good shape or at least easily repairable.  Having to have new wood duplicated from this old and less-than-famous brand gun would likely be more than the current asking price.

This definitely is a Crescent, called a Hardware Store gun by some collectors.   Many small hardware shops even had their own store name put on the gun.  And then there were several "advertised brands" that Crescent had, too, besides American Gun.   In the 1950s and 60s, Savage. Mossberg and Winchester and some other "name brand" firearms companies made "budget line" guns for lots of the catalog companies.  Still got my Western Field-branded Mossberg 500 shotgun ordered from Monkey Wards. 

Good luck, GJ

Thanks John!

I found similar info on a different forum this morning, but this one has a lot more in it.  So from 2011 to today I don't imagine they've appreciated all that much.  A few others have suggested the $150-ish mark and that's right in the 2nd post in your link.

Have to see if this fella thinks he's sittin on a gold mine just because its old.

Values can range up to $150 for a prime condition example to less than $10 for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a fire place poker. Modt sell on the various auction sites for between $50 and $100.

I don't think there is a useful blue book value on these old guns.  Old hammer double barrel shotguns are getting harder to find.  My youngest son lives outside Minneapolis and any old wall hanger double will bring $150 or more. People use them as wall art.   

One gunshop in my area has maybe a dozen old double barrel shotguns.   Some truly hunks of junk start at $199.  Some that are pretty nice condition over $500. 

19 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'd suggest having the chambers cut to make sure they'll take modern 2-3/4" folded crimp shells unless you're going to shoot brass hulls or cut and roll crimp.  None of these old guns were chambered for modern ammo.  

And from the Shotgunworld link

In either case it was designed for the ammunition in use back then which was either black powder or early low pressure smokeless powder and lead shot loaded 2 1/2 inch shells. It was not designed for longer shells(2 9/16 or 2 3/4 inch) and certainly not 3 inch magnum shells loaded with high pressure smokeless powder, steel shot or solid slugs. If you have any doubts about attempting to shoot the gun, take it to a good competent gunsmith for an examination and follow his advice.

This part just registered in my noggin.  Dunno if I want to bother with it for now.  If I was there to go look at it myself maybe I do it.

Many thanks to everyone who helped educate me on this.

3 hours ago, Hardcase Hardin said:

And from the Shotgunworld link

This part just registered in my noggin.  Dunno if I want to bother with it for now.  If I was there to go look at it myself maybe I do it.

Many thanks to everyone who helped educate me on this.

If the gun is in sound operating condition and you are planning to shoot black powder loads, like you say, there should not be any safety issues shooting this old gun. In the 2016 season I shot a different old shotgun in almost every match. Most of them were 10 gauge.  

If I was in Maine and could look it over first hand I'd probly jump on it.  I think for now I'll focus on finding a good match SG and after reading some of the suggestions in other threads, investing in a good quality one to go with the quality pistols and rifle sounds like the best advise right now. 

After I get going, I'd love to find something cool to tinker with.  Who knows, maybe this one will still be available when I get back.

My newest Match Shotgun I have used is about 95 years old and my oldest was made in 1884 ....

They are made in Belgian, Sweden and the USA...

My Cresent is sometimes used with Modern Federal, Reminton and Score target loads ...

Jabez Cowboy

41 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

My newest Match Shotgun I have used is about 95 years old and my oldest was made in 1884 ....

They are made in Belgian, Sweden and the USA...

My Cresent is sometimes used with Modern Federal, Reminton and Score target loads ...

Jabez Cowboy

This is not helping me resist temptation.  :D

Archived