SASS Wire Forum

Artillerists, Miners, EOD, Gunsmiths

Subdeacon Joe

Saint Barbara became the patron saint of artillerymen. She is also traditionally the patron of armourers, military engineers, gunsmiths, tunnellers, miners and anyone else who worked with cannon and explosives. She is invoked against thunder and lightning and all accidents arising from explosions of gunpowder. She is venerated by Catholics who face the danger of sudden and violent death in work.

The Spanish word santabárbara, the corresponding Italian word Santa Barbara, and the obsolete French Sainte-Barbe signify the powder magazine of a ship or fortress. It was customary to have a statue of Saint Barbara at the magazine to protect the ship or fortress from suddenly exploding. She is the patron of the Italian Navy.

Saint Barbara’s Day, December 4, is celebrated by the British (Royal Artillery, RAF Armourers, Royal Engineers), Australian (Royal Regiment of Australian Artillery, RAAF Armourers), Canadian (Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technicians (EOD), Canadian Air Force Armourers, Royal Canadian Artillery, Canadian Military Field Engineers, Royal Canadian Navy Weapons Engineering Technicians), and New Zealand (RNZN Gunners Branch, RNZA, Royal New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps, RNZAF Armourers) armed forces. Additionally, it is celebrated by Irish Defence Forces Artillery Regiments, Norwegian Armed Forces Artillery Battalion, United States Army and Marine Corps Field and Air Defense Artillery, many Marine Corps Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technicians, and other artillery formations. The units and sub-units celebrate the day with church parades, sports days, guest nights, cocktail parties, dinners and other activities. Several mining institutions also celebrate it, such as some branches of the Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. The West Australian Mining Club celebrate St Barbara's Day and use it to remember those people who have died working in the mining industry during the year. Although they do not celebrate her saint's day, she is also the patron saint of US Navy and Marine Corps Aviation Ordnancemen.

Sancta Barbara Ora Pro Nobis.png

I had two former cannon cockers on my A team. Their conversations were hilarious. :lol:

I AM a member of the Loyal Order of St Barbara and am also deaf.

24 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Now that is a real stretch, Pat.    Looks ain't everything. 

I know...Watching Monty Python must have warped me...:lol:

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I had two former cannon cockers on my A team. Their conversations were hilarious. :lol:

And loud?

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

And loud?

Extremely. :D

18 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Eric Idle is Saint Barbara?...Or vice versa?

Sancta Barbara Ora Pro Nobis.pngImage result for eric idleImage result for eric idle

And YOU don't like my sausage jokes?

After  working EOD both in uniform and as a gov't employed civilian technician from 1980-2015, my wife sent me out for a hearing test last April. For years I've been telling her that I have been ignoring her, she didn't believe it. On my 62nd birthday this August I got my hearing aids. :(:(

Note to self; remember to remove said hearing aids before shooting a CAS stage. WOW, was that an eye opener!

1 hour ago, Dapper Dynamite Dick said:

Note to self; remember to remove said hearing aids before shooting a CAS stage. WOW, was that an eye opener!

Your hearing aids don’t modulate incoming signals?  Mine does, to the point gunshots ten feet away are not at all uncomfortable.   More like a half-inflated paper bag being popped half-heartedly. 

PIN1904.jpg

"Shoot 'em down and sort 'em out on the ground."

^_^

Archived