SASS Wire Forum

Does anyone use dual crossed gun belts?

Jaan

Forgive me for another newbie question, but when I search for the answer I haven't been able to find one yet (since a lot of Cowboy Action shooters use 2 belts that's what I find).

Does anyone shoot a dual gun belt style?  One of the characters in Godless uses that style and it occurred to me I don't see that anymore in movies and TV...

image.jpg

There was a fella at the Delaware State match in 2012 that did.  Only one I've ever seen.  Everything about him and his gun cart looked like late 1800s originals.  I believe his name was Quaker Kid and came from New Jersey.  Cemetery knows him and may have a photo.  I remember my wife taking a picture of them together but I can't find it right off.

I used to use that set up but later upgraded to a top quality gun belt that was a little better. 

It worked fine for me, but  was a little difficult to keep adjusting both belts so my holsters were in the right spot.

Ivory Jack McCloud up at The Cowboys in Norco does. I’ve seen a couple of others that used two gun belts over the years but I don’t remember their aliases.

There's a pard we shoot with all the time that has that rig! (Hey Duke) He's the only one I've ever seen using one!

My original rig was like that. It was patterned after the rig Curly Bill Brocious wore in Tombstone. Looked really nice and authentic. Problem being with two belts full of loaded ammo, it was hard to stand up straight. Way too heavy. My holster maker was able to sell second belt with no problem so I only wore it once.

6 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

My original rig was like that. It was patterned after the rig Curly Bill Brocious wore in Tombstone. Looked really nice and authentic. Problem being with two belts full of loaded ammo, it was hard to stand up straight. Way too heavy. My holster maker was able to sell second belt with no problem so I only wore it once.

I really looks nice

But if I would go for it I would have them made without any loops - just 2 plain leather belts

As you mentioned  . . . it must be really heavy loaded with ammo

Why not just divide up the ammo between both belts that you’d have on just one?  You’d still have the extra weight and hindrance of the second belt, but the ammo weight wouldn’t be a consideration. 

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Why not just divide up the ammo between both belts that you’d have on just one?  You’d still have the extra weight and hindrance of the second belt, but the ammo weight wouldn’t be a consideration. 

Another option !

The belt I have now had no ammo loops, I just use a slide with 6 loops.  I was thinking just having one belt with loops.  

For some reason I remember being a kid growing up thinking double belts was cool.

I might do this just for the coolness factor.

Dodger out of Arkansas wears that type of rig.

I believe his name was Quaker Kid and came from New Jersey

I shoot with Quaker Kid - yes, crossed gun belts and a black powder shooter to boot with shot shells loaded with magnesium  The neat thing about Doug is his persona is 100% original Old West of the era except his reloads and cigars

3 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Yes,

Saw a fellow in N. FLA wearing it at their November monthly but can't recall his alias.

That would be me I guess, btw enjoyed shooting with you last month.

I like it and I load mine up with nickel brass too.   Trying to make Curly Bill proud

I wear 2 gun belts. I make my own leather. One belt has pistol and big rifle ammo loops with the right hand holster. The other belt has no ammo loops but does have my big knife and left holster. I put the belt without loops on first and then the belt with loops on over it. Less bulk that way. My belts are made of light weight ruff side out leather as money belts. 

I went to 2 belts because I thought it would be easier to keep the belts up. Not sure if that is true. 

SR

I had a rig like that when I was a kid , black with silver guns with white faux ivory grips! I was the coolest cowboy kid in the neighborhood!

I have only shot with him one time at PVR this past October, but I recall that Snuffy John out of Kentucky wears a double rig like that.

I've been using double belt/holster rig for years. The belts are canvas which makes them comfortable during warm weather. Being on the thin side it's the only way to carry two guns strong side and low. It helps shooting gunfighter. Single belt seems to slip down around my knees when moving around.

:rolleyes:

I've been wearing double crossed belts for about 15 years now. Seems to work for me. No one was wearing them when I started but now it seems to have caught on with the GF and Outlaws.

Been using crossed belts since '94.  Only way to keep them on if you have no a**.  Guns hang lower for an easier draw if you have gorilla arms as well.  And, looks cool.  Never noticed the weight.

PICTURE3.JPG.2321dd6bda4a1801a5024f5f66c3e882.JPG

Picture from a plainsman match, double gun belts, shotgun belt and bandolier.  Can't have too much ammo.web_IMG_2397c.jpg.2af9411384f4b83ac1b9d8baf38aaf4b.jpg

I shot for over a year with cross belt holsters. Just had a 7 1/2" and 10" SAs, so until I got my Rugers and new leather. It wasn't heavy, since I had a .45 rifle, and both pistols were .45s, I just loaded from the belt and added a shotgun shell carrier for 8 shells in front. MT

5a26eaab4ba21_Image(3).thumb.jpg.0a260eb9ea5163c73f394596c4b5d2a4.jpg

Brings  back memories of my friend from early CAS days, Single Action Jackson.  Anyone know what became of him?

On 12/4/2017 at 5:22 PM, Cholla Bob said:

That would be me I guess, btw enjoyed shooting with you last month.

I like it and I load mine up with nickel brass too.   Trying to make Curly Bill proud

We enjoyed shooting with y'all and will be back when our schedule permits.

Archived