SASS Wire Forum

Ruger vaquero base pins?

I bought 2 new Bisley Vaqueros at the gun show yesterday. When I got home I discovered that one of them had a base pin that was shorter than the other. The base pin that works correctly is 3.27 inches and the shorter one is 3.05 inches. This caused the transfer bar run into the firing pin and prevent cocking. I plan on ordering a base pin but am unsure how to know if I am getting the correct base pin. Is there a difference between original large frame Vaquero base pin and the new model Vaquero? 

Thanks,

I've installed/used hundreds of Belt Mtn. pins and have never had a failure.  The usually take up some of the slop in the cylinder as a bonus and I like the look of the exposed part of the pin better on theirs.  Power Custom makes great parts as well, so it may come down to cosmetics for you.

You are dealing with a difference of .025".

Try flushing the 'short' pin out with carb/brake cleaner, and see if some crud would have caused this.

If still and issue-Call Ruger. FYI-Ruger will want the serial # for their records.

Good luck!

READ CORRECTION BELOW!

OLG

2 hours ago, Wyatt Hurts SASS#72737 said:

Any opinions on the after market pins, Power Custom or Belt Mt any advantage to one over the other?

Wyatt Hurts

I've had Belt Mtn on my OMV 44's for the last 15yrs, with no issue.

I bought the ones that needed fitting.

OLG

15 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You are dealing with a difference of .025".

Try flushing the 'short' pin out with carb/brake cleaner, and see if some crud would have caused this.

If still and issue-Call Ruger. FYI-Ruger will want the serial # for their records.

Good luck!

OLG

If the OPs numbers are correct the difference is .220.  Quite a bit shorter.

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

If the OPs numbers are correct the difference is .220.  Quite a bit shorter.

YOU are correct :blush: and my mistake-I'm so use to seeing 3 decimal places. -_-

Sure sounds like the pin was switched AFTER leaving Ruger.

OLG

Thanks for the feedback. I will call Ruger tomorrow.

It is true that the base pins are different by .220 inches, very noticeable. I can push the shorter pin in so that it almost is completely inside the frame and the indent for the latch is inside the cylinder. 

22 hours ago, Wyatt Hurts SASS#72737 said:

Any opinions on the after market pins, Power Custom or Belt Mt any advantage to one over the other?

I have Belt Mountain pins in my Rugers, Colts, and the one Cimarron Cattleman I still own.

Like them a lot.

The tolerances are generally tighter than OEM pins, so they are a better fit.

The one thing you have to be careful of with Belt Mountain pins is they are cut differently than most OEM pins. Most pins have a groove cut all the way around for the spring loaded latch to engage. Belt Mountain pins have a horizontal relief cut across the pin. This is actually a better design because it provides more surface area for the latch to engage.

Ruger pin in front, Belt Mountain at the rear.

cylinderpinsRugerBeltMountain.jpg

Because the Belt Mountain pin needs to be inserted with the relief cut down to engage the latch, there is a flange running around the pin. There is a relief cut in the flange thatt clears the barrel. You MUST be careful when inserting the pin so that the relief cut on the flange lines up with the barrel. When you start the pin into its hole, there is enough slop so that the pin will enter the hole even if the relief cut is not lined up properly. But as you drive the pin home, the flange will jam against the barrel, jamming the pin in place. Trust me on this. You will only do this once, then you will make sure the pin is lined up correctly with the barrel when you push it home.

BeltMountainPinshowingreliefcut_zps13ebc

On 12/3/2017 at 3:07 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Sounds like somedangbody put a .22 pin in at some point.

I would also call the dealer about this-

OLG

Well I thought to my self; I have 2 Single Six revolvers so why don't I try the shorter base pin in one of them. Sure enough it looked exactly like the base pin in the Single Six and work perfectly. Don't have the dealer's contact information or I would contact him to see if he knew what happened.

14 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

I have Belt Mountain pins in my Rugers, Colts, and the one Cimarron Cattleman I still own.

Like them a lot.

I  just checked them . . . nice job they did !

Archived