SASS Wire Forum

clubs and non sass members

Flinthills Dawg

I'm just being curious,, does your club or any club you know of, NOT allow someone to shoot cowboy if that shooter is not a SASS member, at a non sanctioned match, ie monthlies or annual?  If your club does have this rule why? If ya heard of a club doing that would you still attend a match there ifin your a SASS member?  I don't think I would, but that's my opinion. Whats yours?

This is a game we play and people seem to forget that.  It's about  shooting with your friends and enjoying life. 

I have never known a SASS club to actually check SASS membership unless they were hosting a state match or above.  I know all the clubs where I shoot welcome new shooters with open arms no questions ask.   Maybe after a few matches they start asking for the SASS membership number, but I have never known any club that said you couldn't shoot a monthly or an annual.  Frankly, I have seen regulars let their membership lapse (mostly because finances are tight) and renew shortly before the next state match.  Often they have to change aliases.  That is the only reason we have ever known they weren't official members of SASS for some period of time. 

I think clubs are just happy to have folks show up and shoot. There are lots of folks who see no benefit to SASS but still like to cowboy. I can think of no faster way to kill the sport than to say “You’re not a member so you can’t play.”

just my 2 bits worth

TTB

1 hour ago, Bart Solo said:
1 hour ago, Bart Solo said:

I have never known a SASS club to actually check SASS membership unless they were hosting a state match or above.  I know all the clubs where I shoot welcome new shooters with open arms no questions ask.   Maybe after a few matches they start asking for the SASS membership number, but I have never known any club that said you couldn't shoot a monthly or an annual.  Frankly, I have seen regulars let their membership lapse (mostly because finances are tight) and renew shortly before the next state match.  Often they have to change aliases.  That is the only reason we have ever known they weren't official members of SASS for some period of time. 

But Bart, who cares if after a few matches if they become SASS members? Why ask for a number unless it is state or above why worry about it? Besides that's the best way to kill a club.

Before I found this game I was looking for a shooting sport.  One I was looking at was IDPA as I had the gun I needed already.  In reading up on it, IIRC, after 4 matches or whatever the number was, you were required to join if you wanted to continue to shoot the monthly matches.  That turned me off BIG TIME.

Of course then I visited a cowboy match and that was that, I was hooked.

Would I avoid a club that required SASS membership for monthly matches?  Probably not, if everything else worked for me, but I bet attendance would be low.

If you do not allow non members to shoot club matches, how will they learn why they want to be  members    GW

One reason you may be asked for you SASS Number is because the SASS scoring program uses that for an index.  If you do not have a number, the program will generate one for you.

The person using the program can register a shooter for the match using either the "SASS #" or their alias.

That may be why people are sometimes asked about a number.

We require SASS membership for the TN State match, it is my understanding SASS requires it at the state level. I may be misinformed. It is NOT a requirement for our monthlies. We average 1-2 new shooters almost every month recently and probably half are not SASS members, we encourage them to join.

Imis

18 hours ago, Flinthills Dawg said:

But Bart, who cares if after a few matches if they become SASS members? Why ask for a number unless it is state or above why worry about it? Besides that's the best way to kill a club.

Not me, but I am sure there are club secretaries who feel obligated to ask.   Like I said I don't know anybody who was ever stopped from shooting.  Do you? 

There is something we should all keep in mind.   I think it is important that shooters become SASS members sooner or later.  While I would never stop somebody from shooting, I think we should encourage membership. I know a lot of people say they don't benefit from belonging to SASS because they don't attend State Matches and above, but SASS benefits all of us.  SASS sponsors lots of things that help every CAS shooter.  Membership is SASS.  It is the way we keep CAS healthy.  

Don't take it wrong - since I am a CAS rookie (and not SASS member yet) but from what I hear - is that many CAS shooters don't find any good reason to spend $ 75.00 to become a SASS member

Perhaps make 2 memberships :

1. For local club shooters

2. For State Match and + shooters

The ones you don't have right now might become a SASS member at a lower membership fee . . . 

Just my .02 

The black powder discipline at my club quit offering NMLRA sanctioned events because NMLRA membership was required.  Too expensive for too little benefit for most shooters.  Traditional front stuffers are going the way of the dinosaur, no reason to hasten the extinction.

At our local club we don't require SASS membership..

We had a couple fellers always there to shoot with us fer

quite a few years.. They weren't SASS members..

They were always welcomed.

They were also purty darn good..:blink:

I heard them talking about going to our Illinois State match..

I mentioned to them they would have to have a SASS membership 

to shoot in that match..

They both signed up to enjoy the next step in this fun..

They still shoot and are still SASS members..:D

Rance ;)

Thinkin timing is everything sometimes..:rolleyes:

Kingair,

Local clubs usually have local club dues which are nowhere near as expensive as SASS membership dues.  If you are a member it usually gets you a slight discount on monthly match fees.  Depending on how many matches you shoot at that club during the year, it may be a cost benefit to be a club member.  If you only shoot there once or twice a year or are traveling through an area and stop by a local club, it probably isn't cost effective to be a club member.  Some Texas clubs offer the first shoot for free to potential members.

But once you really get hooked, I believe that you should join SASS to support the sport as SASS does a lot for us shooters.  I also believe that I recently read that you can suspend your membership temporarily, but hold on to your alias with a reduced fee during financial situations.  Check with the SASS office.

When Lazarus and I joined, we calculated the lifetime membership fees and found that even if annual fees didn't increase, we would come out ahead after 10 years by becoming life members so we did.  I can now afford to donate to the SASS Scholarship fund instead of paying yearly membership fees which I do each year.

1 hour ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

When Lazarus and I joined, we calculated the lifetime membership fees and found that even if annual fees didn't increase, we would come out ahead after 10 years by becoming life members so we did.  I can now afford to donate to the SASS Scholarship fund instead of paying yearly membership fees which I do each year.

Great gesture - appreciated by all of us !

Hi Folks,

I made my money back on a life membership years ago. I still pay annual dues for Hubby to show support for SASS and save his alias, Jess Brown. Jess was his great-great grandfather who was a shotgun messenger for Wells Fargo in the 1870s. Hubby has not shot since 2005 and will never be able to shoot again.

I feel strongly about supporting SASS by being a member, if you want to play.

That said, I've never experienced a club that denied non-SASS members. Nor do I think they should. It is wise to encourage guests to participate, after all most of us were guests once.

The local clubs in my area do not require local membership to shoot either.

Regards,

Allie

Unless yer just shooting every now and again it pays to ride for the brand. Supporting SASS means no matter where you go you can shoot a match dedicated to a consistent format and a standard set of rules....no mother may I??:huh: or what's this gun for??:wacko: So far I've only been able to shoot in seven different states, but can gladly say there were no surprises;) By being a member you can set an example for others and may be more inclined to actively recruit new shooters. Without SASS I'd just be an 'ole tall over weight bald guy shooting in shorts and tees:o Scary ain't it:wacko:

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

Archived