SASS Wire Forum

Christmas Music

Subdeacon Joe

I was listening to some at work today and realized that my four favorite Christmas Carols are not in English.

First, just because of the beauty of it

Then, because it was one of the first that I learned

Next, for the history

And then, because of the joy that is in it:

Granted, all of these can be butchered by being sung as a dirge, or being overly operatic, or, worst of all, an overly operatic dirge, but still, to me they are the best of Christmas Carols

I am not sure I could name a favorite. I enjoyed singing so many back in high school and college. Singing and listening for me are two different things as well.

Ones that come quickly to mind, though:

Carol of the Bells (probably my favorite to perform)

Adeste Fideles / O Come, All Ye Faithful

O Holy Night

Silent Night (of course)

Not a carol, but I loved performing The Messiah in college, and enjoy listening to it when I can.

Edit: I almost forgot, I loved performing Twas the Night Before Christmas in high school ensemble.

Thanks for posting. Christmas has always been a special time for me, memories flood back of a time long ago, yet with memories, like yesterday. Christmas Eve was always special in our house growing up. Supper at 6PM and we would dress up. We would go into the living room were the tree was set up, with presents underneath. Dad would sit in his rocker and fill and light his pipe, and us children would sit on the floor. Mom was a good singer, and sing for us our favorite songs in German, OH Christmas Tree, Silent Night, and We 3 Kings. We would then open our presents. For us kids it was more exciting seeing Mom and Dad open their presents we had made or bought for them, rather then seeing or opening ours. We would then get ready to leave for Midnight Mass especially watching the outdoor manger scene, for this was the night that Jesus was placed in his bed. Then we would go inside for the services.  MT

1 hour ago, Calico Mary said:

seriously though....there will be a LOT of TSO on my Ipod, laptop, and CD player this month....

Oddly enough, my tastes for Christmas music run the gamut. You can find me listening to everything from traditional choral, such as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, to Mannheim Steamroller, to the older pop stuff, to more modern such as TSO, to the rock guitar work of Gary Hoey. Yes, I even have the local station that plays 24 hours of Christmas music programmed into my radio (it already was), and will turn it on from time to time. Friends have long known of my enjoyment of the music, an have given me cassettes and CDs for years.

Friends have long known of my enjoyment of the music, and have given me cassettes and CDs for years. It is probably time to dig them out. It's probably beyond time to try to transfer some of those cassettes to CD, and digital. 

9 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

local station that plays 24/7?  send me the info...so I can check it out....we had one in Denver but I doubt I can pick up THAT signal....

The station I have programmed is Sunny95 out of Columbus, so probably wouldn't work too well for you. There used to be one out of Dayton that changed formats and isn't doing it now, but I recall reading about one, I believe Magic 105 that is. Not sure of the specific frequency, but should be able to narrow it down. Google tells me that Star 93.3 out of Cincinnati is playing Christmas music.

If you liked the station in Denver, I'll bet you can stream it from the internet, though

17 hours ago, DocWard said:

I am not sure I could name a favorite. I enjoyed singing so many back in high school and college. Singing and listening for me are two different things as well.

Ones that come quickly to mind, though:

Carol of the Bells (probably my favorite to perform)

Adeste Fideles / O Come, All Ye Faithful

O Holy Night

Silent Night (of course)

Not a carol, but I loved performing The Messiah in college, and enjoy listening to it when I can.

Edit: I almost forgot, I loved performing Twas the Night Before Christmas in high school ensemble.

Yeah, "favorite " might be a small overstatement.   But those are 4 I always want in any mix.  I like most TSP, MannheimSteamroller.  Andre Rieu and Celtic Women Christmas specials are great.  

Carol of the Bells is in my top 10.  Silver Bells is up there.  

And, when snuggling on the couch, "Let it Snow. "

About 20 years ago we bought some CDs at Target,  produced under their house brand, Christmas Jazz Sax,  Christmas Guitar, and one other I can't find right now, that we will put on random repeat for hours.

6 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

And then there is GRANDMA GOT RUN OVER BY A REINDEER. 

Or preferably not.

ALABAMA also did 'Christmas in Dixie', which I enjoy during the Holidays.

Christmas memories are also cherished by me.    There were 5 of us kids, only 14 years apart, which meant that Christmas was ALWAYS a super fun time in our house.

We got games, footballs, basketballs, bicycles, WESTERN FLYER wagons.   One year, my older brother got a Remington Nylon 66 .22 rifle and I got a nice BB Gun.

All the Christmas cards we got were taped around the door frame between the living room and dining room.

Our church always put on a 'live' manger scene with the kids dressed up like Mary, Joseph, Shepards, Wise Men and they used real animals.

I love Christmas music.   One of my favorites is 'NOEL' sung by Steve Wariner.

My favorite Christmas movie:  Its a Widderful Life.

..........Widder   (Walkin in a WidderWonderLand)

6 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

ALABAMA also did 'Christmas in Dixie', which I enjoy during the Holidays.

Christmas memories are also cherished by me.    There were 5 of us kids, only 14 years apart, which meant that Christmas was ALWAYS a super fun time in our house.

We got games, footballs, basketballs, bicycles, WESTERN FLYER wagons.   One year, my older brother got a Remington Nylon 66 .22 rifle and I got a nice BB Gun.

All the Christmas cards we got were taped around the door frame between the living room and dining room.

Our church always put on a 'live' manger scene with the kids dressed up like Mary, Joseph, Shepards, Wise Men and they used real animals.

I love Christmas music.   One of my favorites is 'NOEL' sung by Steve Wariner.

My favorite Christmas movie:  Its a Widderful Life.

..........Widder   (Walkin in a WidderWonderLand)

It's a Wonderful Life is my second favorite Christmas movie. A Christmas Carol (the George C. Scott version) nudges past it for first. A close third is White Christmas.

I can't pick only one. It's worse than Lay's chips

So, for me it Sirius-XM radio "Holiday Traditions" (Bing, Dean, Rosemary, Ella, Vic, Bobby, Pearl, etc.........), from now til the 25th

Something less traditional but perhaps as appropriate as any.

And for those of you less easily offended,

On 12/5/2017 at 4:49 PM, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Another great Christmas song. MT

Sadly after the great purge the magic that was Celtic Women is no more

On 12/3/2017 at 9:50 PM, DocWard said:

Since I know we have some fans, I ran across this:

Started listening to Lindsey back in 2011! Incredible talent! 

One of my favorites 

Archived