SASS Wire Forum

Hawaii, Which Registers Guns and Medical Marijuana Users, Starts Disarming Patients

Charlie T Waite

Hawaii is one of 29 states that allow medical use of marijuana, but it is the only state that requires registration of all firearms. If you are familiar with the criteria that bar people from owning guns under federal law, you can probably surmise what the conjunction of these two facts means for patients who use cannabis as a medicine,   Read More:

Charlie

If one is a marijuana user, and answered 'no' on line 11e and  purchased a firearm filling out form 4473, they lied when they signed. Simple as that - regardless your stance on marijuana. At this point you have freedom to smoke pot or freedom of your 2nd Amendment - take your pick - the law is the law. 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My point is not the marijuana, it was that Hawaii Registers Gun purchases and the inherent issues with that.  And before I'm ask No, I am not a proponent of marijuana usage as I see the effects to much in court.

Charlie

Hawaii is little more than Commiefornia on steroids!!!

On 11/30/2017 at 11:23 AM, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

If one is a marijuana user, and answered 'no' on line 11e and  purchased a firearm filling out form 4473, they lied when they signed. Simple as that - regardless your stance on marijuana. At this point you have freedom to smoke pot or freedom of your 2nd Amendment - take your pick - the law is the law. 

Not everyone necessarily lied on the form.....they could have filled out the form years ago, never used pot so were telling the truth at the time, then more recently developed glaucoma or cancer and have a legitimate medical need for the medicinal stuff....I know, it's still against Federal law to own a firearm if you are using marijuana for any purpose, but any folks in the situation I described have it bad enough being caught between a rock and a hard place, without people assuming they must be liers too....

51 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

Not everyone necessarily lied on the form.....they could have filled out the form years ago, never used pot so were telling the truth at the time, then more recently developed glaucoma or cancer and have a legitimate medical need for the medicinal stuff....I know, it's still against Federal law to own a firearm if you are using marijuana for any purpose, but any folks in the situation I described have it bad enough being caught between a rock and a hard place, without people assuming they must be liers too....

I am referring to those that are using currently and fill out the form ma’am.

GG

On 11/30/2017 at 4:40 PM, Charlie T Waite said:

My point is not the marijuana, it was that Hawaii Registers Gun purchases and the inherent issues with that.  And before I'm ask No, I am not a proponent of marijuana usage as I see the effects to much in court.

Charlie

In the article, marijuana is the reason they are using for gun seizures. People who are 'medical marijuana' patients ARE using the substance and one cannot purchase firearms if using the stuff. If they are using AND fill out the form, checking 'no' in 11e, they have lied on the form - a big boo boo. So, the marijuana is the point. IMHO, I support those who with to use the stuff for their medical purposes and I support decriminalization (not full legalization) BUT like I said - the law is law at this point - one can choose one or the other....

3 hours ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

In the article, marijuana is the reason they are using for gun seizures. People who are 'medical marijuana' patients ARE using the substance and one cannot purchase firearms if using the stuff. If they are using AND fill out the form, checking 'no' in 11e, they have lied on the form - a big boo boo. So, the marijuana is the point. IMHO, I support those who with to use the stuff for their medical purposes and I support decriminalization (not full legalization) BUT like I said - the law is law at this point - one can choose one or the other....

I agree to some aspects of what you're saying but, as an officer of the Court, and until the Law changes I cannot be a proponent of the use due to my position as a judge.

Charlie

5 hours ago, Charlie T Waite said:

I agree to some aspects of what you're saying but, as an officer of the Court, and until the Law changes I cannot be a proponent of the use due to my position as a judge.

Charlie

As a person who handles firearms and respects our laws I advise against the use of marijuana as well. That’s all I’ll say on the subject. Merry Christmas to all.

GG

Archived