SASS Wire Forum

.38 special factory load

Jeb Stuart #65654

I load my .38's with 160 grain bullets over 22 grains of FFFg. Never had a problem with any knockdown. It actually hits harder than a lot of .45 loads in use.

Another point of the "Hit or Miss" comment  about setting them light and others fall when  one is hit. I can't think of a place I've shot at (and yes I do travel around). IF another plate falls too when the one you shot at and hit, usually Range Rules or Club Rules state shoot where it was, not where it is. The target is counted as a hit because of prop failure.

Having Knockdown targets set to a "Standard" that is almost twice the minimum Power Factor creates problems.  Trying to find a point where they will fall with the 60 pf and not have multiple plates fall when "Slammed" down by a stout load is difficult. We do our best to set them to fall when hit in the upper half by a min load. Depending upon the scenario, having more than one plate fall with a hit, can confuse the shooter. We usually give the shooter 10 rounds to get 5 plates down and award a bonus of 1 sec per hit (up to 5 max) on a dump target. The only misses are for plates left standing. Doing it this way eliminates the debate about misses on the plate rack.

Snakebite

Archived