SASS Wire Forum

now that i have 308 which is better M1A or AR10?

Trigger Mike

M1A, but I doubt you could trade a Garand for one unless it’s in collector grade condition. But you never know. I’ve seen Garands go for goofy prices lately.

Give a look at the PTR91. American made HK91, costs less (at least when I bought mine) lots of cheap G3 mags and accessories available. Being recoil operated it does kick a mite worse than an M1A. Never shot an AR platform .308. My 2 cents,

JHC

da72c6e90cd5e974ea1de35c0c6d9a17--ptr--t

M1-As are nice, while they're in tune. Slightly ammo finicky. Mags are expensive.

AR-10 patterns rifles are just as nice if built right and generally stay tuned. Not so ammo finicky. Mags are cheap if you get the DPMS mag rifle.

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Give a look at the PTR91. American made HK91, costs less (at least when I bought mine) lots of cheap G3 mags and accessories available. Being recoil operated it does kick a mite worse than an M1A. Never shot an AR platform .308. My 2 cents,

JHC

da72c6e90cd5e974ea1de35c0c6d9a17--ptr--t

I had an original HK91. Loved it, Sorry I ever sold it. I might be looking at this one. I know were 2 dealers have them and a private owner has talked about selling his. Your making me spend.  MT

I have the Rock River Arms LAR-8 and love it. Pretty dang accurate and took a 14 point Buck last year with it at 108 yards.

LAR-8.gif

Dennis 1st Buck 4.jpg

004.JPG

One thing about AR-10 pattern rifles. They do not enjoy the interchangeability that the AR-15 pattern rifles do. Receivers are not clones of a mil-spec so each manufacturer kinda sets their own.

I have a DPMS pattern AR 308 I built myself. There are so many parts available you can build for any purpose you want. The platform is very accurate without much trouble and you can use multiple uppers to change calibers just like the standard "smaller" AR platform. 

15 hours ago, Lead Monger said:

I have a DPMS pattern AR 308 I built myself. There are so many parts available you can build for any purpose you want. The platform is very accurate without much trouble and you can use multiple uppers to change calibers just like the standard "smaller" AR platform. 

Uppers and lowers can have interchangeability issues depending on the manufacturers. For example DPMS uppers will not fit Armalite lowers however, Armalite uppers will sort of fit a DPMS lower but there will be a gap in the back. Some rifles manufactured by Mega Arms are unique so uppers and lowers are not interchangeable with other manufacturers. 

There are at least 3 different magazine types that I am aware of.

Barrels are often not interchangeable due to different thread pitches across manufacturers.

Lower parts kits may or may not fit between different manufacturers.

Gas tubes are different lengths depending on the manufacturer.

Some parts like the trigger assemblies are mostly interchangeable but a few will need slight modifications.

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The most common has become the DPMS/SR pattern magazine. It's what military has standardized now.

Simply pick the pattern and stay with it. DPMS or Armalite. Most parts manufactures build to one pattern or the other and even both. The propryitory parts like Mega can limit your choices but will still lean on the DPMS or Armalite for bolt group, barrel and other small parts. Magazines are easy, most use DPMS/SR mags. A few like the expensive and hard to find Armalite mag and I read somewhere that someone makes a lower that uses M1A mags. 

I have one AR 308 lower and two uppers that fit just fine. One is a 762x51 and the other is a 338 Federal. The next upper will be 450 Marlin.

6 hours ago, Lead Monger said:

Simply pick the pattern and stay with it. DPMS or Armalite. Most parts manufactures build to one pattern or the other and even both. The propryitory parts like Mega can limit your choices but will still lean on the DPMS or Armalite for bolt group, barrel and other small parts. Magazines are easy, most use DPMS/SR mags. A few like the expensive and hard to find Armalite mag and I read somewhere that someone makes a lower that uses M1A mags. 

I have one AR 308 lower and two uppers that fit just fine. One is a 762x51 and the other is a 338 Federal. The next upper will be 450 Marlin.

Agreed. However I used to work with a guy that was unaware that the AR-10 was not as interchangeable as the the AR-15. Bought 4 uppers and a stripped lower, several magazines and lots of parts at a gun show planning on building his own. When he got home none of the uppers or magazines would fit the lower and about 1/2 the lower parts kit didn't fit either. He was rather upset thinking that he had been hoodwinked into buying a defective lower. Turned out that the great deal that he got on the lower was because it was one of the "special" designs and was not compatible with any other manufacturers parts.

21 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I didn't realize there were so few.  I know everyone has pretty much standardized now, but I have a bushmaster 308 from way back in the day, and I'd almost given up hope of finding a decent replacement mag for it (like a magpul).  Since Id' bought and tried a couple, I was starting to think Bushmaster just used a unique proprietary magazine.  Maybe I shouldn't give up.  I just need to figure out which of the 'standard' magazines bushmaster was using back then. 

Archived