SASS Wire Forum

Confessions of a reloader

Hoss

Couple of years ago, when like many others, I was afraid HRH would get elected and loading components would get hard to find. I started buying Federal Primers whenever I saw them. At the time, I was using a corner of our guest room for my reloading area. I was stashing primers whenever I could. About 6 months ago my youngest moved out on his own. I got permission from the boss to turn his room into guest room, and make guest Room a full “gun Room” for me. Bought shelving, started digging out primers. Came up with 24K, about 2x what I thought I had! No worries, they will get used. 

Tonite, while getting some Christmas decorations I found another 10K Fed primers! I’m kind of afraid to open any more closets!!!! Should be good for a few years!

Given the political climate in the PRK I’ll deny even knowing what a primer is.

Haven't counted in awhile, but well in excess of 100,000. Some of these boxes are three and four deep.

There were some Norwegian (?) shooters on here a year or two back looking for Federal small pistol primers to reload for a big match they came here for (EOT? I don't remember), and they had the quantity wanted as something like 50.000, which I took to be fifty thousand. That seemed to be a bit much, but when I tried to clarify, they got kind of pissy about it, so I kept 'em. They'll get used up... eventually. B)

100_1893.JPG

One item to keep in mind is there are national fire prevention recommendations that have  limitations on the amount of primers that can be stored in a residence without taking special storage precautions. I seem to remember that 10K was the limit. The only time this could cause an issue is in the event of a fire in your home where the insurance company decides not to pay due to violations of the national guidelines.

If I get some time, I'll research the issue and post links to the subject recommendations.

Here tis': This link is to the SAMMI section on primer storage. It then shows the NFPA 495 section on primers. The NFPA limits cited are 10K in a residence; 25K in a private vehicle. The real issue is how your states statutes regulate the storage of powder and primers. There is a possibility of running into big problems in the event of a fire and the subsequent investigation with states that have incorporated the NFPA into their laws. Just be aware of these. NFPA 495

Church Key

I feel lame now--  I only have about 12K. But at least that's only half a cars worth!

6 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Hoss,

Are we counting primers in loaded rounds too?  May take awhile to figure that number out...

Totes

I follow the "just in time" supply chain strategy!

6 minutes ago, Rustler, SASS #33316 said:

Between primers and black powder if there ever is a fire it will be spectacular...!!! 

The local volunteer fire department chief says he wrote up a special attack protocol for my house...

"Oh yeah? What's it say?"

"Turn off the highway, then stage and wait at the west end of your place til the fire goes out" (About a mile and a half from my house)

:lol:

As one of my friends told me upon seeing the man cave for the first time,

"If there is ever a zombie apocalypse this room is the place to be, but if there is ever a fire you should be in a galaxy far, far away!" :D

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Last time I counted primers was about 2 years ago when I was putting them in bigger surplus ammo cans. It seem it was around 80,000 - 90,000...give or take a few hundred. Before the primer, powder and anything related to reloading went away, I got into the habit of buying what I used when I reloaded. Usually I'd add another brick or so. Then they kind of multiplied when I started helping another shooter reload. We'd each buy a couple of bricks because they had them. 80% are Federal match and magnum match in small and large pistol. I have some Winchester L and S primers maybe 10K, plus the 209's  mostly CCI magnum's and a few 1000 Winchester's.

Once they are loaded in to cases they don't count ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Got a few thousand primed cases ...

Plus a few Primers ,,,,,,,

Same with Blackpowder once it's loaded it don't count in the Max number of Pounds allowed ....

So get them Loaded ....

Jabez Cowboy

20 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Runamuck,

Is there a North 40 near you? Where I am they have Federal Magnum primers (L and S) but no Federal non Magnums.

No, never even heard of North 40 before. :) 

There is a annual shoot 4 1/2 hrs away that takes place in May and there is a store in that town that always has Fed primers so I stock up then. I asked the owner why he always has Fed primers and none of the stores in my area do and he said "They don't try hard enough"

After the last crunch we had .

I said I will Never get caught with my Pants down again .

So I can say I could go with out buying the rest of my life ,

And still never run out of Primers , Percussion Caps , Shotgun Primers or 

Black Powder , Smokeless Powder or Lead and Bee's Wax .

Oh yha and .22 ammo .

Rooster 

Archived