SASS Wire Forum

evil dogooder

EVIL:

I'm in the same situation and I can't decide on my choice either.

Here are my choices:

1. KIDD 10/22.    Barrel, receiver, bolt and trigger unit all by KIDD for about $750.  If I decide to get the scalloped barrel with muzzle brake, it could be $800+.

2.  SIG 1911 Nightmare in .357 Sig.    Approx $750 - 800.

3.  One of the S&W BIG caliber pistols:   .460 or  .500

4.  Ruger Alaskan in .480

The MOST fun pistols I own are Browning Buckmark Field Target and the Browning Buckmark carbon fiber .22

I've owned Ruger .22 pistols and I think the Browning Buckmarks are better.

Some of the top Buckmarks are only about $450-$500.

Actually, I already have a couple Ruger 10/22's that have been customized with KIDD parts and/or Fedderson parts and they are really a lot of fun to shoot.  Very accurate with most ammo, including the bulk box stuff.

And I also have the P320 in .357 SIG and the P220 in 10mm.

In reality, the 10/22 rifles are more fun.

Good Luck in your decision.

..........Widder

57 minutes ago, Del Rio Pete said:

Pedersoli 20 gauge Howdah Pistol

I've played with the .410 ones a customer ordered... They were fun!

I'm in with the M-1 Carbine crowd.  I've always wanted one, but, even when they were cheap I didn't have the money.  Now that they are way over priced - I still don't have the money.  :D   Years ago a friend of mine had one and they are a hoot to shoot.

And, what the heck is an "edc"?  How can I know if I want one if I don't even know what it is?

Angus

EDC

Ethylene Dichloride

At least in my world it is.

;)

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

EDC is Every Day Carry. Your normal carry gun.

This just curiosity about others' choices, or are you soliciting ideas for yourself?

Oh I have ideas for myself but there are always guns out there I don't know that I needed so it's good to  see what other people like

Currently it's between a ruger security six and a savage stealth in 6.5...  although the local toy store has a barely used 111 in 338 lapua. With quality Leopold sp? Scope for 995... 

25 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Currently it's between a ruger security six and a savage stealth in 6.5...  although the local toy store has a barely used 111 in 338 lapua. With quality Leopold sp? Scope for 995... 

If your toy store wasn't 2000 miles from me I'd own the 111.  Its just too much fun to launch a 250 -300 grain projectile at something 1000 yds away and hit it.  Its a perfect long range jackrabbit or coyote gun when coupled up with good optics and a great spotting scope .  I already own several elephant guns a .470 NE and a .475 NE but my personal favorite is an old W W Greener in .725 something about that huge chunk of lead.  They all will rattle your marbles but are fun to shoot.  It's just that 10 shots are pretty much enough.  However, the Savage 111 is a great design and you can shoot a 100 rds. in a day and live to talk about it.

I'd go for an AR-10 in 308.

Although, those big bore guns that 12 is speaking of sounds like fun. Expensive to shoot, the more fun the more it costs.

I have 100 acres with a 300' hill to the south that makes a great backstop.

The one and only gun that keeps eluding me .

1860 Henry 44 special 

Rooster 

I have given this matter some very serious thought.

My personal findings:

1. A new HOLLAND & HOLLAND or PURDY S X S would cost WAAAAY more than $1,000.00!

2. Even a BROWINING OR BERETTA  O/U would break the bank. 

3. A nice 28 gauge quail gun would be nice but cost factors and the lack of ability to chase Bob White 

would be a factor. 

Soooooo, my conclusion is I would need a nice safari rifle for Ivory poaching hunting in Africa.

So I would settle on a nice .416 Rigby, Airsoft,  virtual rifle. 

I would buy a S&W Model 19,. No dash, with 2&1/2 inch barrel, blued with the early combat grips. Always wanted one of those.

This is a tough one for me. My go to is always another colt SAA, but I guess that would be against the rules since it can and would be used in competition as well as not being in that $1000 price range. Given that, I think I’d have to go with either the M1 or a good old Tommy gun

On 11/30/2017 at 11:58 AM, Ricochet Rojo said:

A M92 lever action in 44-40, to pair with my Colt Lightning slide action clone, which is also in 44-40.

My bad, that M92 would be used in competition, so I would go for a pair of KelTec PMR-30's. 60 rounds of 22mags going down range would definitely be a "fun gun"!!

Can't think of much for only a grand.  Tommy gun is at the top of my list, but I'm pretty sure you can't touch one for $1000

A road warrior shotgun.  I'm guessing after all the stamps and legal loopholes it would wind up being close to a thousand.

A mares leg.  I bet I can get the gun and a holster for under a grand and I have absolutely no use for it. 

Enfield Jungle Carbine in .303 British. The first time I hunted elk, clear back in high school, was with one of those. It was borrowed and I’ve always wanted one of my own...

On 11/27/2017 at 5:17 PM, evil dogooder said:

Ok you have 1000 you must spend on a gun.

The rules . Can't be a edc. Or to use in competition of any sort.   

What would you get? 

S&W K-frame 22lr. 

I've got a pre-model 18.  Hard to beat a good S&W K frame trigger and the 22lr is always fun.

1 hour ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Enfield Jungle Carbine in .303 British. The first time I hunted elk, clear back in high school, was with one of those. It was borrowed and I’ve always wanted one of my own...

Archived