SASS Wire Forum

Hunting "Accidents"

45 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I do wonder if that law is still in effect.

So did Penn. make that a Felony to trespass when posted? 

OLG

Depending on the circumstances simple trespass is either a summary offense or an M3 the lowest level of a misdemeanor in Pa. I don't ever remember it being legal to shoot a trespasser 

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I said trespassers “causing harm or damage”...

There has to be a legal definition of 'H&D' for guidelines in prosecution.

You are allowed to use deadly force to protect life and livestock.

OLG

I can see how some might propogate this law a bit loosely:

http://nation.time.com/2013/06/13/when-you-can-kill-in-texas/

On 11/25/2017 at 2:34 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah. I can see mistaking a tractor for a Deere, but not a truck.

The gravel roads here abouts make my unwashed Honey Gold Buick blend in well with the herd.

I do try to keep the "I" in the Logo wiped clean every day.

And I try to avoid driving my BUiCK in Ruts.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Pennsylvania. 1976.

Not sure what the law is now.

Is this part of the explanation ?

https://law.justia.com/cases/pennsylvania/supreme-court/1968/430-pa-170-0.html

12 minutes ago, Heckler Hinge said:

It would be part. Yes.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

There has to be a legal definition of 'H&D' for guidelines in prosecution.

You are allowed to use deadly force to protect life and livestock.

OLG

There were guidelines. Very loose guidelines and often left up to the officer at the scene. Country cops watch out for country folk, if you know what I mean.

My brother’s best friend nearly died when he was shot outside a girl’s house by her father. He was trying to sneak into the home through a window and got caught. Pops shot him and called the police. He was he was hospitalized and then jailed. 

He shot the guy outside the home. The police took his statement and his gun and a month later returned his gun. Nothing else.

My brother’s friend survived and the weird part was 2 years later married that girl...he wasn’t reeaaalll bright, if ya know what I mean. But he has a B&E record with felony trespass to boot...and he got the girl. :lol:

On November 26, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

There was a farmer near my home town that would literally use some kind of wash away or wear away bright orange paint and write the word “COW” on his livestock a week or 2 before deer season started.

We thought he was just some overly excited  ex-city dweller that had heard about morons shooting cows in other places (that never happens where you live, right?).

I met this guy while at the hardware store and my Dad and a couple of his buddies were quietly joking about the new city boy that labeled his animals. I walked up, introduced myself and told him everyone was getting a kick out of his spray painted cows. He didn’t laugh. He told me that last season he lost 2 cows to morons that thought they were deer. 

I looked at my Dad and his buddies. They had heard him and were pretending to be very interested in the epoxy glue promotion on the counter that had the “pop” bottle with all the “stuff” glued to it.

I told the man that I was sorry that had happened to him and then explained how to post his property against hunting and trespass. I also explained to him that once properly posted he could legally shoot anyone on his property that was doing damage or harm.

Boy, that got the attention of everyone within earshot. If this man posted his property it would remove over 200 acres from “hunters” in the area. What typically happened though, once someone “posted” their land their neighbors would follow suit and that was not what local hunters wanted at all.

When we left the store the man thanked me. My Dad and his friend was mad as heck at me for that but I told them if people hunted safer and followed the rules guys like this fella wouldn’t want them off his land.

Unfortunately I have lots of stories about bad “hunters” and the damage they have done. I also have lots of stories about good hunters and the things they have done but those stories aren’t what people want to hear.

A farmer buddy of mine used to let me hunt on his land back when I lived near him.  He had lots of cows, some of them brown.  Sometimes for fun I'd ask him "since I did not see any deer , do you mind if I shoot one of your cows and take it home so my kids will think deer taste like beef?"  His reply always was, if you pay me $1,000 first.  Then early one morning I'm out there early and hear something move in the tree line as I move across the cow pasture.  It's before sunrise so I put my scope on it and saw brown, got real excited but opted to look harder at it to make sure, and then got more excited as I saw some white like it was the hind part of the deer with brown beside it.  Opted to sight in on it real good and realized it was a brown and white cow.  I then remembered the $1,000 remark and held my fire.  cows are expensive and that cow is often used to raise calves costing future revenue for the farmer.  

17 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My brother’s best friend nearly died when he was shot outside a girl’s house by her father. He was trying to sneak into the home through a window and got caught. Pops shot him and called the police. He was he was hospitalized and then jailed. 

He shot the guy outside the home. The police took his statement and his gun and a month later returned his gun. Nothing else.

My brother’s friend survived and the weird part was 2 years later married that girl...he wasn’t reeaaalll bright, if ya know what I mean. But he has a B&E record with felony trespass to boot...and he got the girl. :lol:

I used to do that, she'd let me in and we'd hang out and talk after her aunt that raised her went to bed.  One night i was caught by her aunt.  She screamed a real high pitch ear piercing scream, and ran out of the room for my girlfriend, I ran being scared she would call the police and afraid of the scream.  my girlfriend came and got me.  said maybe we better not do that again.  I married her later but i don't have a record.  

On 11/25/2017 at 8:30 PM, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Serious question:

I can't hear well,   Actually, without aids, I can't hear at all.

And when I shoot a gun, I still wear protection.

So, is it possible to hear someone scream at 200 yards?

..........Widder

There are electronic hearing devices that seal out all sound and further protect the ear from gunfire by not relaying these dangerous noises to its tiny speakers, and yet allows one to hear a mouse pass gas at 400 yards.

I think that they are frequently used

by, . . . , ah, . . . , Cowboy Action Shooters !

People get excited.  Not saying it is excusable; just saying humans are fallible, unfortunately.

I hunt on private land, always wear orange, and realize I am still at risk.

There but for the grace of God...

I'm several miles out of town and there is another 2500 acres or so of one-owner private land nearby, and I've still managed to find not one, but two bullet holes in outbuildings. One of them, at a low angle through the tin roof of a big, open front shed (38x96) looks to have passed out the open front, then across my front yard about 4' above the ground. :blink: As there are a couple small sub-divisions that have sprung up only a couple miles away, just off the lower end of my place, I'd really like to see these foothills designated a "Weapons Restricted Area" for hunting season, open only to archery or patched round ball muzzleloaders. I once had a "recreational user" from the other place open a gate into my place and ride her horse through the backrange of my CAS range as a couple of us took a break from shooting. I walked up the hill, stopped her, and said, "What are you doing riding through here?"

"I'm taking a shortcut so I don't have so far to ride all the way back to D&R's house."

"Did you see the sign on the gate about this being an active shooting area?"

"Yes, but D&R said I could ride up here."

"D&R said you could ride through my place??"

"Oh, it's not yours, D&R own everything up here."

"Come over here just a few more yards and look through the trees down this hill. See the green roof of that house there? Is that D&R's house?"

"... I don't think so... they live back that way a couple miles..."

"Yes, yes they do, and when you get back that way, maybe you should tell Douglas somebody built up here on his place about a hundred and thirty years ago and see what he says."

20 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Yesterday was the first day of gun season in this state. Already one dead hunter. family group on private land with permission. Investigation still under way:blush:

HIgh Powered Rifle ? Shotgun slugs ? Pistol Ammo ?

17 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

"I'm taking a shortcut so I don't have so far to ride all the way back to D&R's house."

"Did you see the sign on the gate about this being an active shooting area?"

"Yes, but D&R said I could ride up here."

"D&R said you could ride through my place??"

"Oh, it's not yours, D&R own everything up here."

"Come over here just a few more yards and look through the trees down this hill. See the green roof of that house there? Is that D&R's house?"

"... I don't think so... they live back that way a couple miles..."

"Yes, yes they do, and when you get back that way, maybe you should tell Douglas somebody built up here on his place about a hundred and thirty years ago and see what he says."

Well said !

I wish I could be so smooth.

On 11/25/2017 at 5:59 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Did any of y'all note the "200 yard pistol shot"...?   :huh:

Sure did! Hoping that was a typo. Hickok wouldn't even take that shot!

1 hour ago, Ricochet Rojo said:

Remember James Coburn in The Magnificent Seven. SA Colt . He shoots a bandit off of his horse a lot farther away than 200yds then when complimented about the shot, he said I was aiming at the Horse.

10 minutes ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Remember James Coburn in The Magnificent Seven. SA Colt . He shoots a bandit off of his horse a lot farther away than 200yds then when complimented about the shot, he said I was aiming at the Horse.

What troubles me is, if anyone is taking a 200 yard shot with any gun, the shooter would need to seriously study the target that he is aiming to hit. Surely this shooter had to ID his target?

44 minutes ago, Ricochet Rojo said:

What troubles me is, if anyone is taking a 200 yard shot with any gun, the shooter would need to seriously study the target that he is aiming to hit. Surely this shooter had to ID his target?

Apparently not if he saw a deer with 2 legs and 2 dogs. You also have to know what's behind your target. I think the shooter in this case was an IDIOT. He didn't verify his target and took a shot too close to sunset to see properly what he was shooting at. 

The distance isn't out of the norm in a lot of states with less visual obstructions. I've taken shots a lot farther than that, but I knew what I was aiming at and what was behind what I was shooting at incase I missed. Common sense is a terrible thing to lose, and he lost his.

On 11/27/2017 at 6:00 PM, Heckler Hinge said:

There are electronic hearing devices that seal out all sound and further protect the ear from gunfire by not relaying these dangerous noises to its tiny speakers, and yet allows one to hear a mouse pass gas at 400 yards.

I think that they are frequently used

by, . . . , ah, . . . , Cowboy Action Shooters !

I tried to use mine at a match once.  Most of the mousefart loads didn't engage the muffler circuit, so I had to switch back to regular plugs. 

The past few years I've been hunting with a friend who is not experienced.  That first year he shot 2 deer that were in my general direction.  For the first one, there was a hill between us, but we were only 300 yards apart and it was on a straight line down a trail.  The second one was basically right under my stand and he thought I couldn't see it.  I gave and still give him a hard time about how he can only kill a deer if he's shooting at me, but despite the joking he hasn't done it since.  Just went hunting this weekend and I had a deer I didn't take a shot at in part because he was behind me fiddling with his rifle.  Later that day I thought back on it and realized that he hadn't actually taken any unsafe shots since that first year. 

5 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I just decided to stick with birds and shotguns many years ago.

That's not so safe either.  As a certain Senators hunting partners found out.

Also this guy

On 11/30/2017 at 1:50 PM, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Heckler, In Ohio, it's shotgun slugs, a black powder season, and, I believe, some handgun. Been a while since I've seen any regs.:blush:

Thank You for your response !

I wanted MORE information so today I looked at ODNR.

I found:

Handgun: With 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger.

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: New this year! All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

The News report that I have since read said the woman was shot with a .35 caliber bullet

Will our incompetent hunter face further charges ?

Undersized caliber ? Non-straight-walled cartridge ?

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/person-airlifted-after-hunting-accident-near-morganton/657763163

MORGANTON, N.C. - A duck hunter was airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte after a hunting accident near Morganton Saturday morning, officials say.

A sergeant with the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission said the accident happened between 8 and 8:15 a.m Saturday on the Johns River Game Land in Burke County.

The victim was a duck hunter out hunting with a permit. Officials said the victim was leaving his hunt when he was shot through the left shoulder from behind with a high-powered rifle.

Officials said the victim is lucky to be alive and expected to be OK. He will need reconstructive surgery to his shoulder.

Early investigations indicate that a deer hunter, who was also permitted, shot the victim accidentally. Officials said the deer hunter mistook the victim for a deer.

Charges are expected in this case, but officials say they are waiting to ensure the victim’s condition continues to improve.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, Ricochet Rojo said:

One would think so, but alas, I suspect not always. 

54 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

He has been charged with manslaughter 

Ok. Manslaughter. If anyone is aiming at a 200 yard target, you need to observe the target that you plan on hitting. As you observe this target, you aim to put you round in this 200 yard target. So what did you see, before you pulled the trigger? Your shot hit the mark. How does a woman look like a deer? Manslaughter, my ass. It's time for people to own up to what they do! It's murder.. Period! Sorry, my opinion.

This person put his shot on target. On target! At 200 yards, his shot was " on target". Which means that he studied that target, well, before he pulled the trigger. His shot was dead on, dead on to what? A deer? Ok, whatever he saw, it was a good shot. It killed. A very good shot at 200yards. Looking up and down, his shot was perfect. Well, it scares me that this pos is armed. Armed with anything other than a BB gun. I take this stuff very seriously. Why, because my wife and I walk through our land, every day. And to think that a moron could mistake us a deer, and shoot us at 200 yards, scares the crap out of me! We don't want to be another "manslaughter" victim, at 200 yards.

Archived