SASS Wire Forum

Hunting "Accidents"

Jeeze.  And I can't make a comment about New Yorkers... the stupid are out there in every state.  :angry:

He Was Aiming His Pistol At a Deer, But Shot A Woman With Her Dogs

5:24pm – 5:39pm Fatal Shooting Hunting Accident Rosemary A. Billquist (Deceased) Thomas B. Jadlowski

When: Wed, November 22, 5:24pm – 5:39pm

Where: 2998 Armenian Road, Town of Sherman

Description: On 11/22/17 at 5:24pm, Sheriff’s Deputies and the Sherman Fire Department responded to a report of an accidental shooting in the area of 2998 Armenian Road in the Town of Sherman. Upon arrival, EMS crews located 43 year old Rosemary A. Billquist, of Sherman with a single gun shot wound.She was transported to UPMC Hamot in Erie, PA. Thomas B. Jadlowski identified himself to Deputies as the person who shot Billquist. According to Jadlowski, he believed he saw a deer in a field when he fired a single shot pistol. Jadlowski reported hearing a scream and immediately responded to the area approximately 200 yards away where he discovered Billquist. Jadlowski called 911 and applied pressure to Billquist’s wound until EMS arrived. Sheriff’s Deputies were joined in the investigation by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Police. Preliminary investigation suggests that Billquist was in the field walking her dogs at the time of the incident. Investigation also reveals that Jadlowski fired the shot after sunset, which is the legal limit to hunt deer. Billquist died of her injury at UPMC hamot. Jadlowski is cooperating with the investigation. At this time no charges have been filed against Jadlowski, but the investigation is continuing. The case will be reviewed by the Chautauqua County District Attorney’s Office for a determination on whether Jadlowski may face criminal charges.

There was evidently a second incident in the same county a few days earlier:

Another hunting accident happened in the same county on Friday when Robert Meritt’s pick-up truck was struck by a bullet. He and his passenger were unharmed, but the bullet “totally disabled the truck,” according to the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office.

The alleged hunter, Marvin C. Miller, told law enforcement he mistook the brown truck for a deer.

He has been charged with discharging a firearm across a public roadway, and second degree reckless endangerment. An investigation is still underway.

22 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

Ok....how in tha hell do you mistake a TRUCK for a DEER???????   

Yeah. I can see mistaking a tractor for a Deere, but not a truck.

They seem to be trying to make a big thing about hunting after hours (POACHER!!!)

In the yahoo article I read, yesterday, it did not say "shooting at a deer and hit the woman". It said "mistook the woman for a deer".

It also said that it was reported FORTY FIVE MINUTES AFTER SUNSET, and it was illegal to hunt after sunset.

Now, I don't know how Pennsylvania works, but Florida, it's half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset.

So, theoretically, sunset's at 5:15. I shoot the woman at 5:35 (twenty minutes after official sunset, so still legal). I find that I've shot a person, and I freak, and I check to see if she's alive, and freak some more (oh God, I killed someone, I'm going to prison!). I can easily see not actually calling the cops until 6:00 - 45 minutes after sundown.

It was obviously her fault. With Christmas being the big shopping topic, she was probably wearing one of those hats with the floppy Reindeer antlers on her head. At 200 yards anyone can mistake a person for a deer wearing a hat like that so close to sunset. And her dogs looked like fawns.

And I bet he votes.

I understand the whole situation.

Heck, we got spotters who can't see a bullet hit an 18 x 18 target at 5 yards so how do expect some folks to make out a woman and her dogs at 200 yards walking out in a field at dusk..... ;)

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

They seem to be trying to make a big thing about hunting after hours (POACHER!!!)

In the yahoo article I read, yesterday, it did not say "shooting at a deer and hit the woman". It said "mistook the woman for a deer".

It also said that it was reported FORTY FIVE MINUTES AFTER SUNSET, and it was illegal to hunt after sunset.

Now, I don't know how Pennsylvania works, but Florida, it's half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset.

So, theoretically, sunset's at 5:15. I shoot the woman at 5:35 (twenty minutes after official sunset, so still legal). I find that I've shot a person, and I freak, and I check to see if she's alive, and freak some more (oh God, I killed someone, I'm going to prison!). I can easily see not actually calling the cops until 6:00 - 45 minutes after sundown.

What exactly happened in Pennsylvania ? I think you are looking at the closest hospital vs. where the actual shooting took place. Unless Pennsylvania closes it's emergency rooms at sunset.

Contender was my first thought.  

Not many people would try a 200 yard shot at a deer with a pistol under ideal conditions.

It's possible, I suppose, that he did not see her, but did shoot at a deer, missed, and hit her instead.  

50 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Personally, I wouldn't walk dogs where people are hunting.

BINGO! 

Use extreem caution during hunting season. There are dumb a$$&$ with guns and bows out there. Lots of real good folks to but it only takes one moron that "thought it was a dear". 

:ph34r:  These guys aren't HUNTERS, they are BOZOS!  Reminds me of why I quit hunting after moving to California......  got shot at twice.  :huh:

Discovered the best way to stop that action, too.  Shoot back.

Serious question:

I can't hear well,   Actually, without aids, I can't hear at all.

And when I shoot a gun, I still wear protection.

So, is it possible to hear someone scream at 200 yards?

..........Widder

7 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Serious question:

I can't hear well,   Actually, without aids, I can't hear at all.

And when I shoot a gun, I still wear protection.

So, is it possible to hear someone scream at 200 yards?

..........Widder

In a quiet open area on a winless day, yes.  The spousal exception applies.

We have a half mile private drive to our house. I have a trail cam set up near our gate. A couple of evenings ago I got pictures of the neighbors - dad and two little girls - walking their two dowgs.  It was dark enough the camera's flash went off. But they had sense enough to wear orange. 

My half sister's half brother (got that?) was killed by a bizarre hunting accident. He was hunting turkey with a bow on public ground. Hiding in some bushes,  he was making calls.  Unknown to him, another bow hunter was in the tree above him and thinking a turkey was in the bushes, shot an arrow into the bushes and killed him. 

3 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  These guys aren't HUNTERS, they are BOZOS!  Reminds me of why I quit hunting after moving to California......  got shot at twice.  :huh:

I've been shot at twice myownself... in San Francisco!

Didn't shoot back.  Wasn't hunting season.

Just how many of the basic hunter safety commandments were broken here? Oh yeah, all of them.

Dumb sumb****. And a Beautiful Life was lost.

He was not aiming at a deer. He was aiming at something he didn't identify but was too stupid to understand what it was. Some people should not have firearms. Some people cannot think beyond their own ignorance. They are harmful to humanity. Obviously.

I was born in PA. When I was a kid we all wore hunter orange or red in the woods because of Nimrods with guns. I knew people that had the same box of 30.06 ammo for 3 or 4 seasons in a row. They were such good shootin’ hillbillies they didn’t neeed to practice or sight in their rifles...”Heck, they used a high tech optical bore sighter on the gun and scope...it’s gotta be dead on...”

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was born in PA. When I was a kid we all wore hunter orange or red in the woods because of Nimrods with guns. I knew people that had the same box of 30.06 ammo for 3 or 4 seasons in a row. They were such good shootin’ hillbillies they didn’t neeed to practice or sight in their rifles...”Heck, they used a high tech optical bore sighted on the gun and scope...it’s gotta be dead on...”

The guys I knew from PA USED 22s and McIntyre worry about “the season’. They were my roommates in the Army.

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The guys I knew from PA USED 22s and McIntyre worry about “the season’. They were my roommates in the Army.

I will say that in southwestern PA we had more than our share of idiots but even the idiots despised poachers and would drop a dime on them in a heartbeat...or confront them openly, even.

There was a farmer near my home town that would literally use some kind of wash away or wear away bright orange paint and write the word “COW” on his livestock a week or 2 before deer season started.

We thought he was just some overly excited  ex-city dweller that had heard about morons shooting cows in other places (that never happens where you live, right?).

I met this guy while at the hardware store and my Dad and a couple of his buddies were quietly joking about the new city boy that labeled his animals. I walked up, introduced myself and told him everyone was getting a kick out of his spray painted cows. He didn’t laugh. He told me that last season he lost 2 cows to morons that thought they were deer. 

I looked at my Dad and his buddies. They had heard him and were pretending to be very interested in the epoxy glue promotion on the counter that had the “pop” bottle with all the “stuff” glued to it.

I told the man that I was sorry that had happened to him and then explained how to post his property against hunting and trespass. I also explained to him that once properly posted he could legally shoot anyone on his property that was doing damage or harm.

Boy, that got the attention of everyone within earshot. If this man posted his property it would remove over 200 acres from “hunters” in the area. What typically happened though, once someone “posted” their land their neighbors would follow suit and that was not what local hunters wanted at all.

When we left the store the man thanked me. My Dad and his friend was mad as heck at me for that but I told them if people hunted safer and followed the rules guys like this fella wouldn’t want them off his land.

Unfortunately I have lots of stories about bad “hunters” and the damage they have done. I also have lots of stories about good hunters and the things they have done but those stories aren’t what people want to hear.

Lots of people never really hunted anything before and really not even knowledgeable about guns go deer hunting.  After the first weekend of freezing their butts off setting in a stand, they start roaming around looking for deer and trespassing.   If the weather turns bad, they start road hunting.  They call it scouting but it turns out road hunting when they see something. 

Don't understand they needed to be inna lottery for those "Dog Walker" tags for their license.  Tomorrow, Monday, is our favorite holiday is Western Pennsylvania "First Day of Buck."  I won't get within a Mile of the woods.  Or corn fields.  Or anyplace a deer or Deere could hide.  I stay home.  The local game lands are going to resemble a War Zone.

14 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

If those 'hunters' shoot like they drive here in CA  . . . 

Many years ago before moving to Minnesota, there were several instances where people that shouldn't be hunting anywhere  other than a grocery store were. Sad to say both instance's were Airmen stationed at the local AFB. 1st instance 2 of them rented horses from a local rancher that let military people hunt on his land . These East Coast Elk hunting genius's tied the horses to a tree, walked around the top of the mountain and promptly shot the horses because they "looked like Elk". Here's the topper, they still had the saddles on them.

Another group of 4 airmen went Elk hunting along the Rocky Mtn. front. They stopped at the check out station and asked the game warden where people were having luck for getting an Elk. He told them a couple of hot spots and they took off in the "rented AFB crew cab pickup  with their rented AFB rec dept./center rifles" and went hunting. They were cautioned about Forest service animals in some areas.

A couple of hours later they came skidding to a halt at the checkout station. By this time a friends Dad was working the checkout station. They were excited to brag that they had shot a cow elk. When his Dad went out to check the "elk"; they had shot, dressed and tagged a US Forest service MULE complete with horseshoes and a USFS brand. The rented from the AFB pickup and rented from the AFB rec dept. / center rifles were promptly confiscated. They had to call back to the base to get a ride back....from the AP's.

You can't make this kind of stupidity up. You also can't cure stupid.

21 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Did any of y'all note the "200 yard pistol shot"...?   :huh:

I hunt a lot with a handgun, and, for an experienced and competent shooter, 200 yards is quite doable. My longest shot was with a .500 S&W, 8 3/8" barrel, topped with a 4x Leupold pistol scope from a prone position on a cow elk at ~250-260 yards. My second longest was with a Freedom Arms M555 .50AE/.500 Wyoming Express (I think I was using the .50AE cylinder...) topped with a Leupold 2x pistol scope on a 3x3 mulie from a prone position at a lased 145 yards. I have shot this revolver extensively out to 150 yards and since the buck was stationary, I took a clean head shot, which dropped him in his tracks, of course. The aforementioned elk was a body shot, and she went two or three hundred yards down-gulch before expiring. I have yet to lose a big game animal I've shot with a handgun.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I told the man that I was sorry that had happened to him and then explained how to post his property against hunting and trespass. I also explained to him that once properly posted he could legally shoot anyone on his property that was doing damage or harm.

What state was that in?? Generally, use of deadly force for trespassing on posted land will land you in in prison in most states.

19 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

What state was that in?? Generally, use of deadly force for trespassing on posted land will land you in in prison in most states.

Correct-Unless it's a few select federal instillation(Area51, China Lk etc)it's a misdemeanor.

"I told the man that I was sorry that had happened to him and then explained how to post his property against hunting and trespass. I also explained to him that once properly posted he could legally shoot anyone on his property that was doing damage or harm.

PR-Whomsoever advised you on this, is stupid wrong...."

OLG

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Pennsylvania. 1976.

Not sure what the law is now.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Correct-Unless it's a few select federal instillation(Area51, China Lk etc)it's a misdemeanor.

"I told the man that I was sorry that had happened to him and then explained how to post his property against hunting and trespass. I also explained to him that once properly posted he could legally shoot anyone on his property that was doing damage or harm.

PR-Whomsoever advised you on this, is stupid wrong...."

OLG

See above 

Archived