SASS Wire Forum

To VETS who spent Holiday time 'over there'

Widder, SASS #59054

I'm watching MASH on 'TVLand' right now and they are running some of the Christmas episodes.

I thought I would take the time to share a special 'Happy Holidays' greeting to those Vets who spent Holiday time overseas.   

Personally, I was never in a war zone but I spent 1 Thanksgiving and 2 Christmas holidays overseas in Morocco in a little place called Sidi Yahia back in 69-71.

It was a secluded place that probably only exceeded in seclusion by a North Korean prison cell..... ;)    OR at least thats how it felt back then.

Anyhow, glad to have you home, Soldier/Sailor, and I hope your Holidays are peaceful and blessed.

..........Widder

Thank you!

It is a trying time to be seperated from wife and children over holidays, birth days and anniversaries

I talked to my oldest son this morning, a major in the Marine Corps and he’s on his fourth Iraq deployment. He called from their base just outside Falujah. His wife and two young daughters are spending the four day weekend with us, wish he was here.

Spent a Thanksgiving in the Indian Ocean during the Iran Hostage fiasco.  During dinner, canned turkey with all the canned trimmings, which by the way, ain’t bad, our Captain came over the 1MC and wished us all Happy Thanksgiving and he promised we’d be home for Christmas...and we were.

I felt bad for those guys that took our place. They had Christmas in the IO. Gonzo Station. At least Ronnie came into office a month later and the hostages had been released.

At least we had a ship that holiday. And we were cool in our beds . I say cool because it was around 100 outside.

I have always felt bad for our soldiers and Marines during the holidays. The ones humping in the sand or the mud. We had it easy. 

Thank you.

I spent my first Christmas married away from my wife, courtesy of Uncle Sam. Spent every holiday in 2008 away, save Christmas. Missed plenty of birthdays and more, but I would serve again, without reservation. I think the missed times were harder on the family.

In my entire time as a law dawg, I only had one Christmas with my family, and that was when the Army Reserves called me back to active duty and I was able to take leave.  

I spent a year in Iraq, and I'll never forget that lonely, dreary Christmas.  But the worst ones were in my patrol car.

19 hours ago, DocWard said:

Thank you.

I spent my first Christmas married away from my wife,

My first wife and I had separate honeymoons! 2 weeks after we were married she moved back with her mother while I went to the Middle East for a United Nations Peacekeeping tour. We got married 05 November so I missed Christmas with her also.

About 1972 I was in the navy stationed in Norfolk - not over there. Thanksgiving day I was expected to call my parents collect. Made the call from a bus station waiting to go down to Virginia Beach . Mom asked what I was having for Thanksgiving dinner and when I told her chili she started crying - I learned to lie after that.

Spent 3 years in Mainz W. Germany 76-79.  Remember when "Ger" had and E or W in front of it?  Got to go home for one Christmas New Year season.  The rest of my service time was as an Air Guardsman and a lot of that was f/t in Maine.  I been blessed to be with my family most holidays. 

These days my family is my Ukrainian wife so I guess I'm sorta "over there".  Hoping to have her golden ticket (Immy Visa) and be in Maine for good in another year, then we'll have the whole family together.

For those who ARE over there, there aren't enough words to say thank you, but thank you anyway and God bless and keep you and yours.

16 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

About 1972 I was in the navy stationed in Norfolk - not over there. Thanksgiving day I was expected to call my parents collect. Made the call from a bus station waiting to go down to Virginia Beach . Mom asked what I was having for Thanksgiving dinner and when I told her chili she started crying - I learned to lie after that.

Yeah. Always try to paint a good picture for mom.

My mom thought I was in Special Services cause I could play the guitar.

My dad finally broke it to her what exactly Special Forces was.

He said she didn't take it all that well. ;)

Archived