SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 vs. Taylor's 1873 Ladies and Youth Carbine

Hopalong Mac McLin

I have always shot Marlins in lieu of the 1873 because of the angle of the butt stock.   Does anyone have experience with both the Marlin and the Taylor's 1873 Ladies and Youth Carbine?  By looking at photos it looks like the butt stock of the Taylor's Ladies and Youth  carbine is similar to the Marlin (less dramatic curve) stock and not a standard 1873 stock and that the angle of the stock is straighter, allowing for a cheek mold similar to the Marlin.    Anyone?

As OLG said the Marlin is lighter. But more important is the perceived forward weight.  For the ladies and youths thebuttstock length of pull id much more important. 

The crook of the elbow to the trigger method is one method for skeet and other games where the gun is already mounted and you don't have to work the action. Doesn't work well for what we do. What I've found for both but particularly for the ladies is the stock should be just long enough to allow the thumb of the trigger hand to be no closer than an 1" but not more than 3" from the shooters nose. Generally, if the stock is longer the crook of the elbow will be extended beyond 90% and because the ladies and youths generally don't have the upper body strength that men do and the ladies also have those protrusion there on their chest that can get in the way, so the gun will be too front heavy. When you see that new shooter leaning way back struggling to hold the gun up that is usually the reason why, the stock is just too long.

Here’s a good example. This young lady was 11 years old when this picture was taken. This first pic is her with one of the youth size Henry 22’s and as you can see she is still struggling to hold it up, elbows extended way too far.

image.png.11dd729a1f519dda047fe998b744724a.png

Here she is with a 12ga Baikal SXS that is cut to about 10”LOP with a mercury recoil reducer and good pad. Her stance isn’t that great but she is definitely in more control of the gun.  Notice the elbow angle.

image.png.e3b92f2e87bf6eb398514f4e9e0edcca.png

So, with equal LOP the Marlin being the lighter gun will be much easier to control.

PeDe,, Papa, Tombstone, and Dixie.   I am strongly considering it, but I need to make sure that the angle of the butt is not as dramatic as the normal 73. I don't know the exact angle but the 73  is close to a 45 degree angle from barrel to butt stock,

but the Marlins are much straighter.

My daughter has both. The picture shows them with butt at the side of the case and barrels parallel. 

The marlin is used so I can’t speak to any changes to the stock but I believe it is original. 

She likes the marlin more because it is a little lighter and stages with a reload are easier for her with it. 

71AFF94E-020D-4471-8CDA-6EF0D4E9B462.jpeg

Archived