SASS Wire Forum

Marlin or Winchester?

Hoss

I’ve got a case of the wants for a 38-55 lever action rifle to use for Cody Dixon matches. I currently have a 1895 Marlin in 45-70, but wanting to try out a 38-55. (Can’t have too many guns to choose from!) I’m trying to decide between another Marlin or go with a Winchester 94. Opinions?  (If I get a Marlin likely to be a 336 30-30 rebarreled to 38-55)

I have shot a friends Winchester 94 rifle "not carbine" a few times. 24" octagon barrel and crescent but makes a real nice 38-55. He won't sell it to me. He also has a similar 86 in 38-56. Nice rifle also but the 94 is handier. 

Never been a Marlin guy but I do have a guide gun.

Being a southpaw, I don't really care for the Marlin.  That being said, I do believe that the older ones were well made rifles.  You really can't go wrong with either.  

If you want a Winchester, get one that was actually made by Winchester.  That means made before 1983.  No stupid safeties or angle eject.  Or even better, pre-64 if you can find one for an affordable price.

A Marlin should probably be contemporary to that.   I am not an expert on when the gun started going downhill.

I have a new Miroku Winchester sporter in 38-55....beautiful rifle and don't have to worry who did what to it.  Haven't shot it yet....have got lots of black hills to feed it though and will get dies before too long.

all new winchesters I have are very nice.

Archived