SASS Wire Forum

looking for tite group loads / .38 cal

Noah Cash

I've been loading Hilda Billie and my .38 loads with a light charge of Bullseye.  During the powder shortage  I was able to pick up some Titegroup and now have about 12 Lbs of it.  Rather than re-invent the wheel I'm hoping someone here might have some good, light loads for the .38 Spec. using this powder.    I use the 120 Gr bullets for most all of her shooting, with a few heavier slugs used occasionally for knock - downs. I know we can't post load data, but PM's would be appreciated, or advise if Titegroup is not a good choice for our light load style of shooting.

Appreciate your help

Noah Cash

Let us know what you think of the titegroup.

Generally it is considered very accurate and not sensitive to lower temperatures.

But I found it to have a bigger bite (sharper recoil) and bark (louder) than some of the other powders.

6 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Generally it is considered very accurate and not sensitive to lower temperatures.

But I found it to have a bigger bite (sharper recoil) and bark (louder) than some of the other powders.

I will !

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I've been using Titegroup for about 10 years. I tried Clays but didn't care for it. I get more rounds out of a pound of Titegroup than Clays. It is a snappy powder and I've figured out a load that, let's say is a tad lower than what Hodgdon's recommends, and that tames it down nicely. I've shot it in the balmy Montana winters when it's 10-20 above zero to 100+ summers. There's little to no difference in performance. It's still not as loud as BP is.  Now that's loud.

FYI, it depends a lot on your powder measure, but I did not have good luck using minim loads of tight Group.  I got erratic loads and squibs - not due to the powder as much as my two different powder measures did not handle the low volume for titegroup.

So be sure to check your loads carefully before loading a lot of minim or lower rounds.  As Charlie noted, it is possible, but not with my equipment (Lee and RCBS)

55 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

FYI, it depends a lot on your powder measure, but I did not have good luck using minim loads of tight Group.  I got erratic loads and squibs - not due to the powder as much as my two different powder measures did not handle the low volume for titegroup.

So be sure to check your loads carefully before loading a lot of minim or lower rounds.  As Charlie noted, it is possible, but not with my equipment (Lee and RCBS)

(Lee and RCBS). Are you referring to the dies or the press? I use a Dillon 550 and my 38/357 dies are RCBS. I check the powder drop about every 25-30 rounds. So far the balance beam scale shows right on the money for what it's dropping. My 44-40 dies are Redding and they too drop consistent amounts of powder.

I was referring to the powder measures.  The Lee is the one with the little disc with holes and the RCBS is the standard rotating drum.  I find the Lee to actually be more consistent with lower charges but it cannot go that low.  They made an adapter for even smaller charges but it didn't work well with Titegroup. 

But I like titegroup for full power 38's, 9mm and 40 S&W loads.

7 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

It's not sensitive to lower temps and it is somewhat louder and that's why I like it!! I don't know about sharper recoil though.

Thanks to all of you folks that responded with your loads.  I still have 1 unopened bottle of Bullseye that I need to use up but while that is in the works I will try out a batch of your suggestions.  I plan on running through about 50 or so of a number of your loads and see how Hilda Billie likes them.  If I run into issues with my measure,  (A Dillon with the smallest charge bar) I won't have a large batch to fight through or to disassemble. 

Thanks Again. NC

2 hours ago, Noah Cash said:

Thanks to all of you folks that responded with your loads.  I still have 1 unopened bottle of Bullseye that I need to use up but while that is in the works I will try out a batch of your suggestions.  I plan on running through about 50 or so of a number of your loads and see how Hilda Billie likes them.  If I run into issues with my measure,  (A Dillon with the smallest charge bar) I won't have a large batch to fight through or to disassemble. 

Thanks Again. NC

The Small charge bar in the Dillon will drop way more than what you want and way less than what you want for 38's. I don't even use my Large charge bar for 44-40 (5+grains), 44 magnum (4+ grains) and 45 ACP (5+Grains). I have a large charge bar but since I haven't started reloading for my 45-70 I haven't had a need for it.

In those halcyon days of yesteryear .... when I still dabbled in that Fad Heathen Smokeless ...... I shot TightGroup exclusively.  It worked very well with light loads and very light loads in everything I shoot.  38, 44 & 45.  That included 44 Russian, 44 Colt and Special.  45 Colt, 45 Schofield, C45S and 45 ACP.  Not temperature sensitive till it got really really cold and never position sensitive in the case.  Meters thru my Dillon measure perfectly.

Marauder > > > Really simple.  Getcha a Dillon Powder Measure.  Works a treat!!!

Archived