SASS Wire Forum

New project

evil dogooder

So I've decided to build a new to me elk rifle off of a remmington 700 that I'm thinking of using as a donor.   Questions would be.  What stock  would you use?  I'm not a wanna be sniper So I don't want anything tacticool but would like a good cheek weld.   While I've shot this Rifle out past 1k  that isn't the intent for it. But a good mid range hunter. Light enough to carry up in the mountains but heavy enough to soak up a little recoil. I'm thinking in the 8 to nine pound range which is 3 lbs lighter than current. 

Now the other question is I've got an old 26 inch 30 30 model 94. What's a tang site for it?  I don't wasn't a spirit level or all that crap just a good hunting sight.  

Tang sight for that .30-30 ~ the go-to standard has long been the Lyman.  That said, the Marble's is windage adjustable; the Lyman not.

However... having used both tang and receiver sights on lever action rifles, my preference has long been the Lyman type 66.  Rugged steel construction, repeatable when removed, adjustable, accepts a variety of apertures, or you can omit and use as a "ghost ring."

Stocks?  Sooo many flavors to be had...!  I once put a Mauser in a Bell & Carlson - been quite happy with it for over 25 years.  :)

The current stock  was bubba'd  up by the previous owner while it functions it is literally held together by gorilla tape .   

Archived