SASS Wire Forum

How To Answer "How Can You Eat That?"

Subdeacon Joe

I have actually had someone ask me how I could eat deer meat. They thought it appalling.

I asked if she liked Veal Parmesan. She said “Yes, why?”

I asked her how she could eat baby cows. She apparently didn’t know what veal was...she does now. She never spoke of it again but I found out that after I told her about veal she went to her desk, looked it up in line and went home sick. Turns out she ate a lot of Veal Parmesan. Probably a whole lot more of it than I had deer. I am a terrible hunter. I got the deer meat in question from a friend.

She wasn’t the only person I have done this with.  People aren’t so uppity when you yank the rug out from under them.

I had a discussion with a Ukrainian lady (a friend's wife) a few years ago about homestead butchering of chickens or rabbits.

"You would kill them with your own hands?"

"Yes, they're easier to eat when they're dead."

She tried not to laugh.  She tried.

Stock answer #2 - Have you ever tried to butcher with your feet?

I find it humorous how some anti-hunting folks, many of whom are vegetarian, still use leather in clothing and accessories.  

I had a coworker who raised that issue with me once until I asked if the cow donated its skin for her purse.

We had a Lady a year ago write into the paper discussing how awful it is to kill cows for beef. She said she just can't understand why people can't just go to the grocery store for beef.:D

We process our own venison.   I try to make quick, one shot kills,  field dress immediately, skin and hang out to cool.  We bone out all the meat,  never saw.  Pull off as much of the white membrane as practical.   Cook a lot less time than with beef or pork.  Expect it to taste like venison not beef or chicken. 

My usual response is, “Sometimes with a knife and fork, sometimes with a spoon, depending on how it’s cooked.”  My missus makes a lot of soups and stews.. Yummy! :)

Guest Grass Range #51406
10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have actually had someone ask me how I could eat deer meat. They thought it appalling.

I asked if she liked Veal Parmesan. She said “Yes, why?”

I asked her how she could eat baby cows. She apparently didn’t know what veal was...she does now. She never spoke of it again but I found out that after I told her about veal she went to her desk, looked it up in line and went home sick. Turns out she ate a lot of Veal Parmesan. Probably a whole lot more of it than I had deer. I am a terrible hunter. I got the deer meat in question from a friend.

She wasn’t the only person I have done this with.  People aren’t so uppity when you yank the rug out from under them.

I've been eating venison and other wild game, including birds too, all my life. Myself...I'd rather have meat that I harvested and processed myself, as I know it has no chemicals or hormones added and is very healthful. Usually eat a deer, elk or antelope every year. Also love wild turkey (the bottled stuff too!), ducks, geese, pheasant, chukar, quail and doves. Eat most of the fish I catch too!

I always describe my field harvest as being: Free range, Antibiotic and artificial hormone free.

Wife just cringed when talking about eating deer. Then I fixed her a deerburger, she sure changed her mind. Last week she fixed deer roast and when pulling it out of the crock pot, it just fell apart. She said it was the very best roast she has fix in her life. I just smiled.

Medium rare is spot on. I found that the best stew was to cook everything in the stew except the venison. Then stir fry the stew meat medium rare and add it at serving. Well cooked venison I find is best served to those who like liver. Cooked til dry

I put venison in the freezer Saturday morning. Kaya gets to go Thursday. She was down the week before with a 102 fever and missed a week of school. Fever broke Friday but it was too soon to take her. So I shot my buck from her blind..... She's hardly mad at all!

12 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I find it humorous how some anti-hunting folks, many of whom are vegetarian, still use leather in clothing and accessories.  

I had a coworker who raised that issue with me once until I asked if the cow donated its skin for her purse.

My youngest daughter is a vegetarian, mostly because she finds it healthier for her, but also because she can't bring herself to eat another animal. She rarely ate beef growing up, but stopped eating chicken a few years back after having some health issues that had her in and out of the doctor's office and emergency rooms. She is what would be called an "ova-lacto-vegetarian," because she eats eggs (the store purchased kind are never viable) and has dairy (sparingly because she is lactose intolerant). She is completely non-judgmental and we respect each others' opinions on the subject. She doesn't blink when I have a hamburger or whatever. If someone is respectful on the issue, as she is, more power to them.

I had a couple of fraternity brothers that were vegetarian for "moral" reasons. One also didn't wear leather, etc... He typically wasn't judgmental, but the subject came up once because I had been pheasant hunting. He pointed out he didn't wear leather either. I pointed out the rubber soles in his shoes. He didn't understand my point so I explained that the majority of rubber is petroleum based synthetics, and asked if he was aware how many animals needlessly died annually from oil spills and the like. He had no answer and left the room. Simply put, by our very existence, we have an adverse effect on many animals and their environment. This would remain true if we went back to living in caves.

11 hours ago, DocWard said:

My youngest daughter is a vegetarian, mostly because she finds it healthier for her, but also because she can't bring herself to eat another animal. She rarely ate beef growing up, but stopped eating chicken a few years back after having some health issues that had her in and out of the doctor's office and emergency rooms. She is what would be called an "ova-lacto-vegetarian," because she eats eggs (the store purchased kind are never viable) and has dairy (sparingly because she is lactose intolerant). She is completely non-judgmental and we respect each others' opinions on the subject. She doesn't blink when I have a hamburger or whatever. If someone is respectful on the issue, as she is, more power to them.

I had a couple of fraternity brothers that were vegetarian for "moral" reasons. One also didn't wear leather, etc... He typically wasn't judgmental, but the subject came up once because I had been pheasant hunting. He pointed out he didn't wear leather either. I pointed out the rubber soles in his shoes. He didn't understand my point so I explained that the majority of rubber is petroleum based synthetics, and asked if he was aware how many animals needlessly died annually from oil spills and the like. He had no answer and left the room. Simply put, by our very existence, we have an adverse effect on many animals and their environment. This would remain true if we went back to living in caves.

Spot on as usual, Doc.

I have no problem with people who are vegetarian, for whatever reason they choose.  Actually, I have no problem with anybody who's living their life in a way that's consistent with their values and contributes to their community as a whole.

It's when respect is lost and judgement sets in that I get sad, such as when "militant" vegetarians get down on omnivores for eating meat.

In the immortal words of the great sage Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along."

My last job the Embedded Digital Engineer was a vegetarian. Going on travel with him was a blast because he could always find the best places to eat. Every place he found served dishes with and without meat that tasted wonderful.

Another Engineer was a vegetarian because his girl friend was. Boy what a PITA he was on travel. He could never find a place that would he could eat at that the rest of us could eat anything that didn't taste like cardboard.

14 hours ago, DocWard said:

Hang up callers, we have a winner!

On 11/20/2017 at 5:51 PM, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Medium rare is spot on. I found that the best stew was to cook everything in the stew except the venison. Then stir fry the stew meat medium rare and add it at serving. Well cooked venison I find is best served to those who like liver. Cooked til dry

There's a whole lot of distance between half raw and overcooked to the point it looks like shoe leather.  Sounds like you need to find somebody that knows how to cook.

Personally, I like medium well- that's a light line of pink in the center and the juices running clear.  I don't eat uncooked or under cooked meat and I don't eat organ meat.

Thank you for your opinion. I was Sharing a little of what I do. Sometimes I cook venison thoroughly and serve it like liver. Sometimes I cook it medium well depending on the recipe. Sorry if you felt I was making some kind of personal attack that required you to attack my knowledge of cooking. How different people like their food made is a personal preference and I fully respect yours.

Wife fixed the venison the other night baked with spaghetti and some other pasta stuff. It was layered with a topping of cheese and some kind of great sauce in it. Man was it good and we got leftovers I am looking forward too. I can't wait for deer chili. 

Archived