SASS Wire Forum

Interesting stage

Yusta B.

Interesting stage:
Stage is about 10 yds wide. Straight firing line across whole stage. 1 table left end of

FL(firing line). 1 gun rack center of FL. 1 table right end of FL.

Loads:  10 Rifle, 10 Pistol, SG shells as needed.
Long gun(s) may be staged on any table/rack of choice, pistols holstered.

Targets:

5 SG knock downs evenly spaced across stage at about 8 yds.down range. 1 Texas Star at

center of stage at about 6 yds. 1 dueling tree with 6 paddles at right end of stage at 6

yds. Clear view of all targets from anywhere on FL.

Scenario:

Shooting guns in any order, rifle not last, you have 20 shots to defeat 16 targets.
Dueling tree paddles must be hit only, SG KD's & Star paddles must fall. Any unused rounds

are to be dumped into ground down range. An remaining targets may be shot with SG.

Note: a 4 sec. bonus will be awarded if shot gun is NOT taken to the line.

Start in any position with hands on hat. Any movement along FL is permitted with any gun.

How would you shoot it ?

Rifle and SG staged Start in center, hands on hat. ATB engage Texas star with rifle, then remaining rounds start on the SG targets from the left. Engage DT with pistol, remaining rounds start on SG targets from right. Finish SG targets with SG.

22 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

I’d shoot it any day. But I’ll shoot anything. Any stage too. Question: if you don’t brink shorgun, can you reload rifle/pistol? 

No - 20 shots only unless you have a squib or jack one out.

Well I'll shoot towards the end of the posse to see how others do it and pick the one I thought made to most sense.:P But if I had to shoot first, SG staged on center table, rifle on right table, start at center table. The Texas star and I have not been on the friendliest of terms over the last couple years.:angry: That means it would likely take me 8-10 pistol shots to do the star. Let's say 8. That leaves 2 pistol and 4 rifle  for the dueling tree, 4 rifle for the SG KD's .  Dump extra rifle rounds and ( since rifle can not be last) use SG to finish stage.  Maybe not the fastest way, but then I'm a "middle of the pack" shooter most of the time.

1 hour ago, Catlow4697 said:

Shoot shotgun targets and Texas Star with rifle  then use hand guns on dueling tree.  Leave shotgun on gun cart for the bonus

Same here.

shotgun in guncart. 

I'm taking the bonus.

Staging rifle on middle rack.

Shooting order...

Rifle on left outside shotgun target, then right outside shotgun target. 

(2 rounds) 

since im already pointing rifle that direction, (to the right) engage rifle on dueling tree.

(6 rounds)

come back to Texas star and engage two plates.

(2 rounds)

make rifle safe.

With pistols (gunfighter), engage remaining three shotgun targets

(3 rounds)

by then, star should be stabilized with the three remaining plates at the bottom.

Engage remaining plates and dump

(7 rounds).

Theoretically shooting it clean with a bonus.  From one position.

Since per op all targets are visible from the firing line at all positions.

The only thing that keeps me from leaving he SG at the cart is the knowledge that if just one SG target is sticky then you have negated the bonus with the miss. Remember that SG targets are not set to fall with a center hit from a factory 38 round. I've seen lots of them resist a 45 acp loaded to a 170pf min in WB.

Stage  rifle in front of star  Start on star with rifle. Run the star move to dueling tree with rifle  Starting at top of dt   Last dueling tree paddle  with  revolver then sweep right to left on sg moving as needed with revolvers . But shouldn't need to.  Then dump remaining rounds Around here sg knock downs are set to fall with a 22. Shotgun would be left in the cart.  Should be a sub 10 sec stage sounds fun

14 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Rifle and SG staged Start in center, hands on hat. ATB engage Texas star with rifle, then remaining rounds start on the SG targets from the left. Engage DT with pistol, remaining rounds start on SG targets from right. Finish SG targets with SG.

+1

Randy

Thanks everyone - very interesting responses.Most of the shooters shot all targets, with

rifle staged on right table in front of dueling tree. All but 2 shot pistols at tree first

followed by right most SG targets with any remaining pistol rounds then Star & KD's with

rifle. I don't remember anyone taking SG to the line.

This is the way I shot it also.

In retrospect, I would use Goody's plan.

I really like Creeker's scenario but I would mess it up for sure.

There were 15 shooters. Fastest time was 16.77

PS - I thought it was a REALLY fun stage !

3 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

Stage  rifle in front of star  Start on star with rifle. Run the star move to dueling tree with rifle  Starting at top of dt   Last dueling tree paddle  with  revolver then sweep right to left on sg moving as needed with revolvers . But shouldn't need to.  Then dump remaining rounds Around here sg knock downs are set to fall with a 22. Shotgun would be left in the cart.  Should be a sub 10 sec stage sounds fun

+1

would take me longer!

Out of curiosity, why can't the rifle be last? I used to see that a lot in stages, but it seems to be going away as of late. I can't even remember the last time I saw that in a stage description. For this stage, it really does limit you some, seeing how you might only bring two gun options to the line. Without those instructions, I would shoot pistols first, and depending on how many targets were still standing would dictate how fast I ran the rifle.

21 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Out of curiosity, why can't the rifle be last? I used to see that a lot in stages, but it seems to be going away as of late. I can't even remember the last time I saw that in a stage description. For this stage, it really does limit you some, seeing how you might only bring two gun options to the line. Without those instructions, I would shoot pistols first, and depending on how many targets were still standing would dictate how fast I ran the rifle.

Oh goody! let me be the first to mention that the report from the rifle will often not get picked up by timer and the last shot is critical for scoring.

I too would prefer to start this stage with the pistols but that's only a choice if you take the SG with you.

What would really suck is to take the SG with you, start with the pistols and end up clearing everything left with the rifle.  I assume the shooter would be required to pick up the SG and fire at least one round in to the berm. :angry:

18 minutes ago, CodyMaverick said:

I assume the shooter would be required to pick up the SG and fire at least one round in to the berm. :angry:

Wasn't required. SG was only to make up any remaining targets for a clean stage.

6 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Wasn't required. SG was only to make up any remaining targets for a clean stage.

So how would that square with the instruction that the rifle not be last?

19 minutes ago, CodyMaverick said:

So how would that square with the instruction that the rifle not be last?

Good catch - I 'll bet I was wrong about rifle not last as I finished that way.

I guess the out would then be: 1 pistol 5 rnds at DT, then rifle for Star & KDs, finish up with second pistol.

1 hour ago, CodyMaverick said:

Oh goody! let me be the first to mention that the report from the rifle will often not get picked up by timer and the last shot is critical for scoring.

I too would prefer to start this stage with the pistols but that's only a choice if you take the SG with you.

What would really suck is to take the SG with you, start with the pistols and end up clearing everything left with the rifle.  I assume the shooter would be required to pick up the SG and fire at least one round in to the berm. :angry:

Is that still I thing? We shoot rifle last all the time. With the better timers these days and TO's that get into optimum position to pick up the last shot, I figured this no rifle last was a thing of the past. On top of that, the guys that I know that use the very low .38 mouse fart loads usually bring some knockdown loads for situations like these knowing that the light loads won't budge the targets. In this case, such a cool and unique stage is deserving of as many shooting options as possible. Nothing better than seeing how creative shooters can get for stages like these.

Start with the rifle.  Go after the Texas Star and then the Dueling Tree.   If I have any rounds left in pistols after they are both clear, use then on the shotguns.  If I have not knocked everything down by then, use the shotgun to clear everything.  I want the clean match more than the best time!

As to rifle being last, we sometimes do it IF it is an open stage where the timer can be closse to the shooter and not have the rifle report blocked by a prop.  And there cannot be another stage being shot very close as the timer will likely pick up someone else shooting.

The timer needs to take his eyes off the gun for the last few rifle shots to verify that the timer is catching the rifle.

So in general it makes the timers job easier and more reliable to not finish with the rifle.

Not very long ago I had the timer right up close and it still did not pick up the shooters rifle rounds. That is one of the things I ck during the stage. As they still needed to shoot the shotgun it was not a problem. If the rifle was last, it could be.

1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

Is that still I thing? We shoot rifle last all the time. With the better timers these days and TO's that get into optimum position to pick up the last shot, I figured this no rifle last was a thing of the past. On top of that, the guys that I know that use the very low .38 mouse fart loads usually bring some knockdown loads for situations like these knowing that the light loads won't budge the targets. In this case, such a cool and unique stage is deserving of as many shooting options as possible. Nothing better than seeing how creative shooters can get for stages like these.

I actually don't know from any personal experience.  It's just that everywhere I've been so far, they write stages such that the rifle isn't last and on shooter's choice stages they include the "rifle can't be last" statement.  When I practice with my rifle, my timer picks it up just fine.  Just about every big match I've been to has a side match day with speed rifle events and they are using the same timers for those.  May be that it is just due to the 'possblility' that the timer will not pick up the last shot.

On 11/19/2017 at 6:30 PM, Yusta B. said:

Interesting stage:
Stage is about 10 yds wide. Straight firing line across whole stage. 1 table left end of

FL(firing line). 1 gun rack center of FL. 1 table right end of FL.

Loads:  10 Rifle, 10 Pistol, SG shells as needed.
Long gun(s) may be staged on any table/rack of choice, pistols holstered.

Targets:

5 SG knock downs evenly spaced across stage at about 8 yds.down range. 1 Texas Star at

center of stage at about 6 yds. 1 dueling tree with 6 paddles at right end of stage at 6

yds. Clear view of all targets from anywhere on FL.

Scenario:

Shooting guns in any order, rifle not last, you have 20 shots to defeat 16 targets.
Dueling tree paddles must be hit only, SG KD's & Star paddles must fall. Any unused rounds

are to be dumped into ground down range. An remaining targets may be shot with SG.

Note: a 4 sec. bonus will be awarded if shot gun is NOT taken to the line.

Start in any position with hands on hat. Any movement along FL is permitted with any gun.

How would you shoot it ?

Where was this at?

2 hours ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

Where was this at?

I suspect Bar-3 because the YB gang was there Sat and we shot in-town (1 thru 6).  Figure they shot out-of-town Sunday (7 thru 12).  I heard some talk of a Texas Star but did not know where it was placed.  The Xs from 12 were at 1, Bufs from 7 at 3, so some changes had been made. Bet star was at 12.

2 hours ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

Where was this at?

Daisey's Garden, stage 12.

22 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I suspect Bar-3 because the YB gang was there Sat and we shot in-town (1 thru 6).  Figure they shot out-of-town Sunday (7 thru 12).  I heard some talk of a Texas Star but did not know where it was placed.  The Xs from 12 were at 1, Bufs from 7 at 3, so some changes had been made. Bet star was at 12.

Word is the figure -8 stage is coming back also.

3 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Word is the figure -8 stage is coming back also.

Sounds like good stage for wagon.

Daisy took it over.....with my "blessing". She and Dirt have put lots of work into it. Heck, I've helped some. Stage still has a bit of an emotional  feel to me. A missed lady.

33 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Daisy took it over.....with my "blessing". She and Dirt have put lots of work into it. Heck, I've helped some. Stage still has a bit of an emotional  feel to me. A missed lady.

Amen, Billy, amen......

Archived