SASS Wire Forum

Now I can't even watch an old western!

Hardcase Hardin

Just watched The Tall Men with Clark Gable & Jane Russel.

Great movie and darned racy for the times (1955),  But all I could do was check out the guns, which were all wrong.  I think it was set just after The War, but they were all carrying Colt SAAs and (I think) '92s for rifles.  Not a Henry or 1866 in the bunch.

I'm ruined

SIGH!

a western movie is supposed to be a hoot -- like Dirty Dingus Magee or Support your Local Sheriff w/ James Garner.    it doesn't matter one bit if it's historically accurate: that's not the point.    it's supposed to be outrageous and funny

You have to work through this. Suspend disbelief. We all have to.

I really liked that movie as well.

The Tall Men

Jane was HOT!

the only thing I remember about Jane was,way back she did the cross your heart bras commercials.

Well then you can't watch hardly anything! The guns were all wrong in the old westerns, starting with the Win 92 used in tons of movies that were set in a time long before 1892!:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well then you can't watch hardly anything! The guns were all wrong in the old westerns, starting with the Win 92 used in tons of movies that were set in a time long before 1892!:rolleyes:

I know it.  Hickok45 mentions it many times in his vids about "Old West" guns.  Now its the first thing I notice.  Unless Jane's in it or Rachel or...

Movie makers have been taking liberties with reality since the start and not just with guns.

I used to get spun up about it. Now I look past it. Life's too short to worry about what someone got wrong in a movie.

The worst kind of movie watcher you can be is pointing out all the mistakes while others are watching it too... Guilty!

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Movie makers have been taking liberties with reality since the start and not just with guns.

I used to get spun up about it. Now I look past it. Life's too short to worry about what someone got wrong in a movie.

The worst kind of movie watcher you can be is pointing out all the mistakes while others are watching it too... Guilty!

It takes some tongue biting for sure. :lol:

So far as movies made as long ago as "The Tall Men" is concerned, about the only choices they had was to use Colt's SAA's and Winchester '92's.  Val Forgett hadn't started importing repro '51's, etc.  And most folks back then didn't know the difference anyhow.  I still like to watch "The Tall Men" whenever it's on.  The book was even better.  BTW, this is based on the true story of how Nelson Story drove the first herd of cattle from Texas to Montana in 1866. IIRC, he had around a dozen cowboys, and armed them with breechloading Remington Rolling Block carbines (probably the split-breech model with .46 rimfire ammo).  Don't know of any girl involved, nor a trailboss like Ben Allison.  But they did have a run in with Red Cloud and Crazy Horse.  Lost one man on the whole trip! And they did have to violate the orders of Col. Carrington that the Bozeman Trail was closed!

I thought it interesting that in "Rio Bravo", Ricky Nelson ("Colorado") sang the same song as Jane Russell, but with different lyrics.  Jane's lyrics were...uh...more...interesting! :wub:  OTOH, since I was only a few years younger than Angie Dickenson in "Rio Bravo"... :wub:

Couls not, for the life of me, think how she coulda made "My Rifle, My Pony, and Me" more "interesting".

Oh. "Cindy, Cindy". 

Yeah, "if he wants my peaches, he'll have to climb my tree" is a bit more umph than "sew that gal to my coat tail".

3 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I love when they pull the forearm off a 92 so it looks like a henry or when they paint them yellow so they might be a '66.  Here is a bad picture I took a while back.  Don't remember what movie it was, but take a look at that rifle...

2723498800026616118MfWXKv_fs.jpg

That's a Hollywood Henry!:P

I've been told by my wife that Westerns are all fictional/make-believe stories or just recreations of events, which are all done not with the real people but actors.  :o

Tell me she isn't right!  :unsure:

9 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I've been told by my wife that Westerns are all fictional/make-believe stories or just recreations of events, which are all done not with the real people but actors.  :o

Tell me she isn't right!  :unsure:

They don’t even use actors.  It’s all puppets

13 hours ago, Kingair said:

I hear ya'll taking about Jane Russel

But what about this Cowboy . . . .

hx9v4BQh.jpg

14 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

They don’t even use actors.  It’s all puppets

Mo says she's a puppet.

Archived