SASS Wire Forum

95 Year Old Flies A Spitfire

Subdeacon Joe

Many years ago I was at the EAA fly in at Oshkosh, Wi. I was wandering around looking at all the war birds and came across an older gentleman looking at a (I think it was) Polish built ME109. We got to talking and he said he had flown a 109 in the Battle of Britain. He got shot down after 20+ missions and spent the rest of the war in a Canadian POW camp. He did say he hated the Spitfire because that's what shot him down, but he was impressed with the Spits capabilities.

1 hour ago, Kingair said:

Never flew these 2 - and probably I never ever will - but I did fly the P-51 a few times

GRRR... I knew I hated you for some reason.....lol.. The P-51 was and still is my all time favorite War Bird. We'd lay in the trailer at Oshkosh and listen to the AT-6's and P-51's coming in from satellite fields. No mistaking that Merlin sound.:angry:

2 minutes ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

GRRR... I knew I hated you for some reason.....lol.. The P-51 was and still is my all time favorite War Bird. We'd lay in the trailer at Oshkosh and listen to the AT-6's and P-51's coming in from satellite fields. No mistaking that Merlin sound.:angry:

I like it when people hate me . . . for a good reason !

10 hours ago, Kingair said:

Never flew these 2 - and probably I never ever will - but I did fly the P-51 a few times

Mom logged most of her hrs in P-51 and P38. She was also an instructor pilot for both.

OLG

Archived