SASS Wire Forum

Happy Birthday to me

Hardcase Hardin

Ok, so its still 3 days away, but hey, its the big six oh (as in Oh CRAP!  How'd I get this old?)

I was perusing my usual sites looking at guns and something prompted me to go to Classic.  I have to use Opera in VPN mode to do that as they geo-block Ukraine.

So anyways, I scanned the C & Bs and to my delight I saw they had Traditions (Pietta) 1851 Navies in .44 cal, for $217.99 ea.  Found the ship notice for 2 of em in my email this mornin.

Yes, I know.  .36 is the best place to start, but they don't carry that caliber and the price was too good to let it be, so I went ahead n dunnit.

Even if I don't run em in matches they'll be a hoot to shoot and they'll be waitin to belch fire n smoke when I get home in the Spring.

Happy 39th Anniversary of your 21st Birthday ! 

Sounds much better dont it ? LOL

All my C&B guns are 44 cal and I love it .

Get you a set of 1860's and  a set of Cartridge cylinders,

Then you can make one set of guns with Cartridges and one set Percussion with extra cylinders .

Then buy a couple more cylinders over time on sale ,

And you can load all your cylinders at home and change just the cylinder at a shoot !

See how it happens ?

One leads to two and two leads to four its just a Vicious Cycle .

Next thing you know you have 6 pairs of pistols to play with .

Anniversaries keep coming and so does Pistols. LOL 

Anyways Happy happy Birthday !

Rooster 

24 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

And you can load all your cylinders at home and change just the cylinder at a shoot !

Hey!  Git outta my head!  :D

Yep and just cap em at the loading table, if I understand the rules aright. 

Cabela's has  Pietta '51 Navy cylinders (.36 & .44) for $50 each.  And Bench loaders for $29(?).  On my list of things to get.  I want enough cylinders to run 6 stages so another $500 over the winter.  Plus stock up on some spare parts.

My EDC is  Bersa Thunder pro 9 mm with 124 gr JHP .  124 is kinda snappy in that gun, but manageable and 115 gr is very comfy, so I magine .44 with a match load should be just fine.

Maybe the 39th anniversary of being a legal drunk in all 50 States?  :D

I shoot '51 Navy .44's and no one is ever in doubt when I hit the target.  They might not be historically accurate, but neither are stainless steel Rugers with transfer bars.

You may find that a capper won't fit them, but a file will fix that in a Jiffy.

4 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

You may find that a capper won't fit them, but a file will fix that in a Jiffy.

I think Duelist1954 uses the Ted Cash capper ($30 @ Cabelas) on his Navies w/o needing to file the cylinders.  I've seen him and Hickok45 complain about the straight cappers enough to not wanna try those.  Another item on the wishlist.

16 minutes ago, Hardcase Hardin said:

I think Duelist1954 uses the Ted Cash capper ($30 @ Cabelas) on his Navies w/o needing to file the cylinders.  I've seen him and Hickok45 complain about the straight cappers enough to not wanna try those.  Another item on the wishlist.

The Ted Cash capper is what I use .

Works great .

Dont forget Slix shot nipples to add to your list .

They make a big difference on Cap Jamming.

Rooster 

Just now, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

The Ted Cash capper is what I use .

Works great .

Dont forget Slix shot nipples to add to your list .

They make a big difference on Cap Jamming.

Rooster 

Slix Shots are on the list.  But, I watched a recent video by Mike B (Duelist) where he rounded/softened the edges and what he calls the fangs on the notch and then reinstalled the stock nipples.  Then he went through several cylinders without a single cap jam.  Haven't seen any newer updates on that, but definitely easier (and cheaper) than modding a match's worth of cylinders.

7 hours ago, Hardcase Hardin said:

I use the Ted Cash snail capper also with Slix-Shot nipples.  It fits the .36 Navy just fine, but the .44 is a bit more crowded - at least my three are...

2 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

I use the Ted Cash snail capper also with Slix-Shot nipples.  It fits the .36 Navy just fine, but the .44 is a bit more crowded - at least my three are...

Consider my feeble memory jogged.  Thank you John Henry.

Other than being a little more crowded, I think you will love the 44's.  A little more bang, but not severe at all.  I'm sure some can recommend where to order the lead balls until you are set up.

3 hours ago, Hardcase Hardin said:

Well, I guess a follow up question would be...

Where do I get my mitts on some balls (lead ones..........for the pistols) for the new kids until I get set up to cast my own?

If you you have a Cabell's close by you can buy balls there .

Then order a Lee mold and never buy balls again.

Rooster 

Archived