SASS Wire Forum

1911 in .357 sig

Widder, SASS #59054

I been contemplating a new present to meowndangself.

And, I keep coming back to a 1911 in one of my favorite calibers.......... 357 SIG.

Do any of you Pards have any experience with the .357 sig in a 1911?

OR better yet, do any of you have experience with it in the SIG Nightmare or the SIG Tac Ops?

Thanks

..........Widder

No experience yet !

But sounds like fun :huh:

Rooster,

I presently have a SIG P320 in .357 Sig and a P220 in 10mm.

But, I'm seriously considering getting a 1911, but not in .45 ACP.

The 1911 is also available in 10mm but it might be too much horsepower in the 1911 to have fun shooting.

I'm thinking the .357 sig should be real nice in the 1911 model.

..........Widder

27 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Rooster,

The 1911 is also available in 10mm but it might be too much horsepower in the 1911 to have fun shooting.

..........Widder

Like you I have a soft spot for the 10mm. Several Colts, Kimber, Glock and an off brand Wyoming Arms.

All but the Glock are 1911 based and the only real problem I have had was with the Wyoming Arms. Having very soft steel it sheered away the magazine catch so the magazine sometimes falls out in rapid fire. The 10mm doesn't really lend itself to down loading so my rounds are pretty much full house and I do not feel that the recoil is all that unpleasant. (of course I am a hand cannon fan - 44, 454, 460, 480 and 500 :D) so recoil has never really bothered me though I know some are more sensitive to it. I will post pics tomorrow.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Kingair how many mags do you have for it ??  At one time I had 2  pistols, with 1 mag between them because guns shipped with no mags!!!

Even Sonny Crockett's was converted to fire from a single stack magazine as no mags were available that worked!

I recall Jeff Cooper spoke of a necked down .45 to .357 diameter, he claimed full-house .357 performance in the 1911 package.

Your idea is intriguing.  I've long been a fan of the 1911, and the SIG in that handful of machinery sounds like a worthwhile study!

GATEWAY KID:   Whew..... great minds think alike.

I really like my 10mm but just didn't know how it might feel in the 1911 model.   Thanks for the info.   This might make me start leaning towards the Rock Island Armory PRO in 10mm.   It comes with a 6" barrel.

KINGAIR:   you've made us all jealous.   That is nice.

MARSHAL MO HARE:  no doubt the .357 has some flame.   But some of my 10mm rounds also produce some intimidating blast.

LINN KELLER:  I wasn't aware of Jeff Copper's necked down .45 project.   BUT, I am aware of the 9 x 25, which (if my memory serves me correctly) is a 10mm case necked down to 9mm.   At present, these can be set up in the Glock and I think Dillon has proper dies for them in reloading.

This cartridge may actually be called the 9x25 Dillon...but I'm not sure.

GRAMPA WILLIE:  As I presently do, I would just reload them on my single stage RCBS.   The .357 sig or the 10mm round is not something you shoot by the bucket full..........atleast I don't.

THANKS EVERYONE

..........Widder

14 hours ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Rooster,

..........Widder

Sounds like you have a decision to make but I don't think you're going to regret any of those decisions. They all sound like fantastic handguns although some do score higher on the sexy meter than others.^_^

I like me some of this...

serveimage (2).jpg

32 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

Lot's of flash and bark for not much more zip that a .38 Super, plus 1 less round in the mag.

it's kinda cool little ctg.    as far as hobbies go, not everything we do has to make sense.   Me?    I prefer a real .45, or possibly .40 S&W (but only if I can't have a .41 Mag)

37 minutes ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

it's kinda cool little ctg.    as far as hobbies go, not everything we do has to make sense.   Me?    I prefer a real .45, or possibly .40 S&W (but only if I can't have a .41 Mag)

The .41 Mag is a nice round, sort of like the 16 gauge of handguns...  Both have been "dying" for decades, but still here, and appreciated by those who know.

I used to own a Springfield V16 in .45 SUPER.   Now that little baby is a real hoss in a semi-auto pistol.

Both the .357 SIG and the 10mm are fun to shoot and allow the reloader a wide range of 'stuff' to work with for the best load.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Shotgun Clay said:

The .41 Mag is a nice round, sort of like the 16 gauge of handguns...  Both have been "dying" for decades, but still here, and appreciated by those who know.

yep

i've got 3 16ga scatterguns incl a 97

37 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Widder, have you considered .400Corbon?

A .45ACP necked down to take a .40 slow and weak or a 10 sillymeter bullet.  Shot with a guy back in the 90's that had gotten a barrel chambered in it for a Para P.14.

Actually, I had forgotten about the 400 Corbon.

I figured if I went with anything more potent than the 10mm, I would just go with a large bore revolver like the Ruger 480 or 454 Casull.

The interest in the 1911 setup is for carry.   My present .357 sig and 10mm are great pistols.   I'm just thinking of adding to the carry options.

..........Widder

On 11/13/2017 at 3:58 AM, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Kingair how many mags do you have for it ??  At one time I had 2  pistols, with 1 mag between them because guns shipped with no mags!!!

Even Sonny Crockett's was converted to fire from a single stack magazine as no mags were available that worked!

Got 3 - worth a small fortune each !

Awesome cartridge Widder,

With Speer Gold dot 54234 load, a 125gr JHP I consistently got 1400fps out of Glocks and up to 1450 out of 1911's I built. Kimber used to offer them through their custom shop, dunno about now. I used 10mm gusa as a base, Wolff 20-22lb recoil springs with a full length guide rod and 40 magazines. Very nice.

The SIG has more blast but less recoil (I think) than the 40. It is also flatter stooting and a darn laser out past 100 yards. You'll like!

When reloading make sure your expander ball is sized for the bullets you use AND....a good taper crimp.

Interesting article on the .357 Sig by Buffalo Arms ammo company.

Scroll down to paragraph 5 about the Sig .357.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=171

6 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Awesome cartridge Widder,

With Speer Gold dot 54234 load, a 125gr JHP I consistently got 1400fps out of Glocks and up to 1450 out of 1911's I built. Kimber used to offer them through their custom shop, dunno about now. I used 10mm gusa as a base, Wolff 20-22lb recoil springs with a full length guide rod and 40 magazines. Very nice.

The SIG has more blast but less recoil (I think) than the 40. It is also flatter stooting and a darn laser out past 100 yards. You'll like!

When reloading make sure your expander ball is sized for the bullets you use AND....a good taper crimp.

DD:    Good post.

In my SIG P320 with its 4.7" barrel, I have chrono'd some loads with some interesting results..........

125 TMJ    Power Pistol  xx grains:   1436 avg.

125 TMJ     Power Pistol   xx.x grains:   1482 avg.

125 Gold Dot HP    Power Pistol   xx.x grains:   1471

125 TMJ    AA9   xx grains:   1294

125 TMJ    AA9   xx.x grains:    1366

125 TMJ    AA9   xx.xx grains:   1415

FACTORY AMMO:

BAMA AMMO   115 HP:    1285

REMINGTON   125 Golden Saber:   1406  (this has also been the most accurate factory round in my SIG)

L&B   140:   1323

FEDERAL   150 HP:   1075

Understandably,  Power Pistol is also one of the best powders in my 10mm using 165 and 180 grain slugs.

I tried some 135 grain slugs with the 10mm  to see how much speed I could get, which is plenty, BUT..... accuracy sucks with those 135 grainers.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

DD:    Good post.

In my SIG P320 with its 4.7" barrel, I have chrono'd some loads with some interesting results..........

125 TMJ    Power Pistol  xx grains:   1436 avg.

125 TMJ     Power Pistol   xx.x grains:   1482 avg.

125 Gold Dot HP    Power Pistol   xx.x grains:   1471

125 TMJ    AA9   xx grains:   1294

125 TMJ    AA9   xx.x grains:    1366

125 TMJ    AA9   xx.xx grains:   1415

FACTORY AMMO:

BAMA AMMO   115 HP:    1285

REMINGTON   125 Golden Saber:   1406  (this has also been the most accurate factory round in my SIG)

L&B   140:   1323

FEDERAL   150 HP:   1075

Understandably,  Power Pistol is also one of the best powders in my 10mm using 165 and 180 grain slugs.

I tried some 135 grain slugs with the 10mm  to see how much speed I could get, which is plenty, BUT..... accuracy sucks with those 135 grainers.

..........Widder

Yes, short fat 10mm bullets don't fly any better than short, fat SLOW 40 bullets LOL. At 100 yards its like throwing rocks.

19 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

BTT for the Widder

Gateway

Much thanks KID.

Those are very impressive pistols.   Are all of them in 10mm?

Looks like a couple of them have been 'blessed' with some special mods.     

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Much thanks KID.

Those are very impressive pistols.   Are all of them in 10mm?

Looks like a couple of them have been 'blessed' with some special mods.     

..........Widder

Yes all in 10mm

Top left = glock model 20, top right = Kimber Target II

middle left S&W 1006, middle Colt Delta Gold Cup, middle right Wyoming Arms (parker)

lower left Colt Delta Gold Cup, lower right Colt Government model Delta

The middle one has a 6 1/2 barrel with integral compensator and C-More red dot, at 50 meters will group 8 rounds into a 50 cent piece two handed. Wayyyy better than I am anymore.

The Govt model has an oversize barrel bushing with compensator cuts, not really a soft shooter but has taken coyotes and prairie dogs at about 90 meters

The 1006 and stock Gold Cup are by far my favorite's. with loads they like they both make great bullseye guns, a bit heavy but almost no recoil, easy followup shots and both will put the empties into about a 4 foot circle for easy retrieval :D. the parker was nice when it was new but has issues now mostly due to soft metal in the wrong places, almost no replacement parts available and a lifetime warranty that lasted about 2 years before the company went away:o

The glock has a bit too big of a grip to be really comfortable and the Kimber is nice but the Colts are better in my opinion. I have another Kimber Target II in 40 S&W that to me kicks quite a bit more than any of the 10's

Anyway, hope to sometime get down into your neck of the woods and we can take them out.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

KID,

I got enough ammo to warm ALL of them up..... ;)

I've also worked up some fairly good reloads and have data on them.

Do you have any specific GOOD and favorite load data?

Send me an email and I will email you my load data and chrono'd results.

Looking at all your 10's makes me want to renew my interest in the Rock Island Armory 10mm PRO with the 6"  barrel.

My email:    widder1894@icloud.com

Thanks.

..........Widder

She ain't a carry gun but my Super Black Hawk Hunter Bisley in 41 mag spits a 175 gr JHP at 1850+ with a whole lot of W296.

46 minutes ago, Noz said:

She ain't a carry gun but my Super Black Hawk Hunter Bisley in 41 mag spits a 175 gr JHP at 1850+ with a whole lot of W296.

Howdy NOZ.

I have a SBH Hunter in .45 Colt.    I don't think they made many in the .45 Colt.

Anyhow, I had Mag na Port cut my barrel back to 5.5", which is flush with the ejector rod housing.   And its Mag-na-Ported also.

I use some HEALTHY amounts of LilGun,  AA9, and H110 to create some nice 'Godzilla' loads, if ya know what I mean.

..........Widder

Dantankerous and KID:  here is a pic of my SIG P220 in 10mm.   Its their ELITE model with decocker (DA and SA).   Sometimes, I wish I had gotten the DAO model.

The attachment under the barrel is a green lazer unit.    I really like the green much better than red.

p.s. - I tried to post a pic of a couple custom 10/22 rifles but can't seem to get r dun.

..........Widder

sig

rifle and sig

Archived