SASS Wire Forum

a new ammo head scratcher!

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

2 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

I'm fairly certain that Mr. Culpepper knows the difference.....

I'm sure he doez-Just don't want to assume. BTDT.

The fact this issue only happens in the HG's is curious.

OLG

they all tried to go bang.... same ammo in rifle without issue,,,, no gap in rifle to loose pressure...

each time it happened I cud see gasses escape thru the gap of the cylinder and forcing cone...  and it go phtttttt

I was right behind you at Gibsonburg when the "pfitt's" happened and with you at the unloading table. I was surprised the force it took to push the bullets out.

I was just there today and ran 30 rounds thru my new Uberti, came home and decided to measure the gap between the cyl and barrel, 4 thou. Measured the other Uberti I have and same thing, 4 thou.

I am just learning from all of this. I can't remember which stage you were at and if you had fired the pistols/rounds before. Here are some things I thought of.  I am pretty sure you have probably covered these bases, but what about soft lead bullets that leaded up the barrel more than usual.

Sure hope you get a sure cause of this.

I did learn that there is a tool I need to make for my own and hope I never have to use it.

Good Luck CC, WW

I use a strong roll crimp,,, I've loaded at least 4 lbs of red dot with my recipe so far, most likely 12lbs so far,, been using red dot when I cudn't get clays anymore ,, never had an issue..  I will do some testing tomorrow or sunday to see what's up

all were winnies out of the same lot,,,  bullets had no lube,,  they were ones I had torn down before,, because of squibs years ago,, I knew the problem then,,  my thot is that maybe those bullets had residue on them that caused the contamination..

no,,

the before had nothing to do with this,,, I had tried a cleaner in my media that contaminated the powder,   the only link is these were the bullets that I had pulled,,,    the powder contamination before turned the powder, clays at the time, from flakes to granules in about 10% of the cartridges..

5 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

ummm.....dun't use them thingies no more??:unsure::P

but they cost $,,,, we'll see if they're the culprit soon

1 hour ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

Did you leave your powder in the hopper? Powder makers say that when you are finished you should put the powder back in the can. powder is affected by  moisture in the air and dry air. V.D.

I have never done that,,,   my powder hopper is sealed too,,,  I do empty it for bp subs tho

I am actually using the exact amount of RD for a 38,,, just using a 125 instead of a 148 according to the Alliant site

it has only happened with RD that one day,,, trying to figure out why....

On 11/18/2017 at 2:17 PM, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I am actually using the exact amount of RD for a 38,,, just using a 125 instead of a 148 according to the Alliant site

Howdy CC, I know several other shooters that use the same. IMHO it ain't the powder. Good Luck:)

had the problems before I tried warming them up too, that is why I tried warming them up

On 11/18/2017 at 3:04 PM, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

it has only happened with RD that one day,,, trying to figure out why....

Till proven otherwise-I'll say the load was to 'lite'.

The B/C gap let the psi escape.

Where did the bullet lodge in the HG?

OLG

13 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

had the problems before I tried warming them up too, that is why I tried warming them up

Maybe warmed up the wrong thing. When you do some test firing stick the gun in the freezer. Get it down to that 19 degrees.

Re; thermal expansion, thermal contraction. Bullet expanded, barrel contracted. You know how hard it is to start a car engine in cold weather...  

Just an idea. Just trying to help.

I wouldn't be chiming in if I hadn't been RIGHT there when it happened.

WW

ok, this morning was cold!  went out and ran some rounds with the same components,,,  no squibs but had a couple hang fires,,,   figuring it was contamination on the old bullets I had torn apart before,,,  gonna test more tomorrow morning

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

ok, this morning was cold!  went out and ran some rounds with the same components,,,  no squibs but had a couple hang fires,,,   figuring it was contamination on the old bullets I had torn apart before,,,  gonna test more tomorrow morning

Whew, definitely something on the old bullets.   They weren't lubed with Gorilla Glue, were they?

Nobody has hang fires anymore!  Didn't I say that last week?   Wow, now I gotta make a retraction.     :o:ph34r::blush:

Good luck, and toss them old bullets out!   They're makin a liar outta me!   GJ

Archived