SASS Wire Forum

South East Regional Gunfight in Dixie

Captain Bill Burt

I had so much fun I'm NOT leaving Memphis for at least a week! :lol: I'm gonna visit family and friends...

I thought the match was fun!  The stages were great fun (except the Outlaw Cabin... it bit me in the hindquarters)!  :huh:  Enjoyed Posse 4! One of the highlights for me was seeing Raindrop Renegade (and her Mom & Dad) again and getting to know 12 Gage and his Mom & Dad. If they are any indication... the future of SASS is going to be in good hands!

Hugs,

Scarlett

We had a great time with the folks on Posse 9! The stages, props, and target placement were great, as well as the posse marshal walk-through...well thought out stages. Lots of vendors and great food! I wished more of the Regional shooters had attended though, as they sure did miss out on a good time.

Congratulations to my lovely Kathouse Kelli, Lady Overall winner of SE Regional.

Posse 7 was great, a big thank you to y'all, made my job as posse Marshall very easy.

Stages were great and the good Lord prevailed supplying us fine weather.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, stay safe and see y'all next year .

Posse 5 was awesome with Randy Saint Eagle as Posse Marshal and Cumberland Drifter, Deputy Posse Marshal.  Had a great group of cowboys and cowgirls. 

One of the members of our posse was 12 Gauge, who just turned 10 and is an amazing young cowboy.  It was an absolute pleasure watching him interact with others in such a mature manner and he's already a very good shooter.  I will be watching for his name in the future for sure!

We also had the pleasure of shooting with Justice Lily Kate.  She is a blast to shoot with although I was a bit concerned when she almost absconded with my pistols saying something about auctioning them for the SASS Scholarship Fund!  I rescued them just in time. 

A huge thank you to Hot Lead Lefty and all those who put in so much time and effort on this match.  It was obvious everyone put their heart and soul into making it a great shoot for all of us and we appreciate it very much.

Congratulations to Kathouse Kelli, Overall Lady Champion and Prestidigitator, Overall Male Champion!   They are great champions and great people too.  Congrats to all the category winners as well.

Reno and I look forward to returning next year.

As a new member of the Memphis Gunslingers this was the 5th match I have ever shot in.  Lots of practice to make it this far and lots more to do before next year.  I will be at a few other matches to test my progress.  Thank you everyone whom attended.  It was a joy to see everyone having fun.  The people whom put it all together worked very hard and were ecstatic to see how well it turned out.  Thank you everyone for your support and friendship at our club.  We all strive hard to make everyone feel welcome.  

As this was my first out of state match, I was thrilled with the stages and I had a blast.  The last part with everyone shooting their shotguns to announce our posse was through was neat!!!  Possee 4 was a great group, and it was nice meeting some new friends.

Ms. Scarlett I'll be contacting you soon to get some bullets.  Thanks to everyone to make this an enjoyable experience.

Just got home from the 1489 mile round trip. Thank you Memphis Gunslingers for your hospitality that started with Arizona Ranger meeting us within minutes of arriving to show us our camping site to letting us let the trailer there after the shoot was over while we made the obligatory visit to Graceland.

It's great meeting new people and Posse 3 made us feel right at home. Thank you Deadwood Woody. We knew only 3 ppeople on the posse.when we started but that didn't last long. Stages were fast and fun. You have a beautiful shooting facility and Cowboy Shooting town. Thanks to all the vendors. I tried to support as many as I could. Thank's to Boomstick Jay for making my wife's guns sing again. Gotta keep Momma happy! Great time and great weather. Hope to return and spend more time with my new "old friends".

I want to add my "atta boys" to the already mentioned comments.

Great shoot! Great stages! Great target placement! Great food! Great Banquet and so on and so on!

But I have to play devils advocate here a little. I thought the match was very well run and have no major complaint of any kind, but I hope the wonderful organizers of the match learned a very valuable lesson on awards preparation and presentation.

A few mistakes were made and the program seemed to studder a couple times.

I will be back! The cowboy town was very nice, the night BP match was fun to watch. The many new people I met and re-connecting with old friends was very special.

Whiskey

We must agree. Everything was smooth a butter. We did not get to stay for the awards and I am sure Lefty and crew will learn very fast and be ready for 2018. Range was in good shape and very clean.  MSSA is a top notch gun club and They did do a good job on the overall match.  We can't wait until next year. T Bone and Ellie

13 hours ago, Whiskey Rick, SASS#84292 said:

I want to add my "atta boys" to the already mentioned comments.

Great shoot! Great stages! Great target placement! Great food! Great Banquet and so on and so on!

But I have to play devils advocate here a little. I thought the match was very well run and have no major complaint of any kind, but I hope the wonderful organizers of the match learned a very valuable lesson on awards preparation and presentation.

A few mistakes were made and the program seemed to studder a couple times.

I will be back! The cowboy town was very nice, the night BP match was fun to watch. The many new people I met and re-connecting with old friends was very special.

Whiskey

I agree with you on the awards, but in defense I think I was told it was the first time for this big of a match I am sure they did learn from it. I know I will be back next year for another great shoot. 

What A Great Match.  Only down side was the transitional Shooting School put on by T-Bone, Lead ringer, Dodge city Dixie and Shamrock Sadie was not talked up before the Shoot.  Understand it was a great Class!  Really sorry I Missed it.    

Posse 3  was great!!!!   meet a lot of new Friends and offers to Come Shoot at Different Clubs and special thanks to the fellows from  New York!  for asking me to shoot with them  during the Team Shoot !!!!   

I must say , me and and my special one (wife) Kansas City Sneed, really loved the range.  I loved the rolling treed hills and  although we stayed off in some Hotel, which was great - the usual Hot and Cold running water, AC, (beer was pricey) plenty of pillows and bathtub( very important) etc....but what I saw at the range, was the campfires and cool crisp evenings, ....what a recipe for swappin stories, drinkin, smokin and keeping the fire goin with hombres!  Maybe some day. :D.  Simply a great setting for a great shoot. 

Stage runs were very good, some fast, some faster, some not so fast.  Options for those that needed them.  I finally got to watch and learn from Blackhawk Henry, Fast Eddie and Sidekick.....Posse 8 was a good mix of experienced Blackpowder and Smokless ladies and gents.  Everyone seemed to pull their weight.

I was blessed to be in the top 16 Mens shootoff, on Saturday afternoon.  I thank Stumpman,  Blackfish Kid, and Johnny Angel for supporting me to make that final  against that lanky, easy-goin, aw-shucks kinda cowboy... 'Tator....  A true champ in all aspects.  Heck all of the shooters are champs in my book.  

Saturday night banquet food was pretty darn good.....Band was real good, awards were great.  Heck, the pauses that occurred during the awards,  was good timing, as we checked the College football scores at that time..  The Judge and the wonderful, ever vibrant beauty - Justice Lily Kate were in there...so you know that is a hell of a shoot to go to. 

This was our first time ever to Tennessee.  We will be back.  Ok......,  I will be back, the wife may have to work....;)

5 minutes ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Yadda yadda some other stuff.....

This was our first time ever to Tennessee.  We will be back.  Ok......,  I will be back, the wife may have to w*rk....;)

OKD....shame on your for spouting off that dirty 4 letter word....I fixed it for you!  :lol::D

Kajun

Thanks to all the Memphis Gunslingers for putting on this event. Those of us from the Dakotas enjoyed going somewhere warm in November to shoot. Very nice range. I'm sure you'll get all the glitches worked out before next year. Also thanks to Fast Eddie for finishing me off early in the top 16 shootoff. I got to drink beer sooner.

hope to attend again

MCJ

12 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

OKD....shame on your for spouting off that dirty 4 letter word....I fixed it for you!  :lol::D

Kajun

Awwwww, heck  Kajun man!  She loves to w*rk..... Its her calling, so to speak...I .:wub: that she is doin it....:D

9 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Tell us about the Shoot off!

Two shooters start at middle of stage setup, sharing a rope.  at the signal ) Cherokee Sargent pistol shot into the berm, they drop rope and race to the end table and with rifle - engage the ten rifle knockdowns.  Then race back to the inside table and engage the Texas Star.  Any targets still standing,  be it rifle or the Texas star, have to be engaged with the shotgun and knocked down before engaging the final shotgun target and then the cross over stop popper.

Inside two tables had open and empty shotgun and both pistols (5 rounds each) staged.  In front of those tables were a Texas Star target (5  knockoffs) and also one shotgun knockdown and then the cross over stop popper in the middle, for the final shot from each shooter. 

At each end there was a table with rifle ( ten rounds) with a ten round rifle knockdowns in front of it. 

I am not sure of the distance from the center line to the outside rifle, but I would guess that it was about 7 to 9 yards.  It was a sprint for sure.

While OKD did a great Job describing it.  You really had to be their to appreciate it.  the Texas start gave a lot cowboys and cowgirls a hard time.  Johnny angle took a couple of falls on the sprint over the Rifle,  1st time he recovered and won his Heat.  Second not good, but he walked away Smiling !!!!!!!!!!  and of course the Blackhawk Henry and Tator match started the event.   

Had a great time. Food was excellent at the range and the banquet. A fireside chat with the Judge was great fun. Posse 8 with Fast Eddie and Sidekick ran smoothly although I did not. This was my first time at Memphis but will not be my lasts. Thanks to Cherokee Sargent, Lefty and crew for a great shoot.

McKenzie

I started CAS with the Memphis Gunslingers in November, 2012 & then moved to Georgia about 6 months later. Hot Lefty had been shooting about 6 months when I started. It's amazing how much the range has improved since I left. Lefty, Cherokee, & all of the other cowboys & cowgirls have done a superb job of building & re-building stages since I left. It was really fun being back & seeing many of the people I started with, most of whom I haven't seen in almost 5 years. Posse 8 was great fun, & Ophelia Payne (wife) & I thoroughly enjoyed meeting & shooting with Oklahoma Dee & Kansas City Sneed. Everybody worked, & Fast Eddie & Sidekick, along with Blackhawk & everybody else contributed to a very smooth-running posse. GREAT FUN!!

Archived