SASS Wire Forum

balsamic vinegar and ice cream

Trigger Mike

I tried it once while in Europe and friends had ice cream and poured a small amount over it. I asked what the syrup was and was told it was Balsamic Vinegar. It tasted good a sweet taste to it. After asking more about this, I was told the flavor comes from the type of wooden cask it is aged in, up to 25 years. It is made from grapes and very expensive.  MT

1 hour ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

I tried it once while in Europe and friends had ice cream and poured a small amount over it. I asked what the syrup was and was told it was Balsamic Vinegar. It tasted good a sweet taste to it. After asking more about this, I was told the flavor comes from the type of wooden cask it is aged in, up to 25 years. It is made from grapes and very expensive.  MT

There is a lot more than aging for 25 years like scotch or bourbon.

A serious thing here is taste buds. We have 5 senses. Most people understand that others see or hear better.  It is really hard to understand that others have better taste or smell sensors.

this bottle that I bought is made locally by a company that grows Olive trees for olive oil.  Olives are making a comeback down in south Georgia.  cotton is getting out of favor.  I may try it and see and if I don't like it give it to a child, they won't know the difference maybe.  :-)

23 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

this bottle that I bought is made locally by a company that grows Olive trees for olive oil.  Olives are making a comeback down in south Georgia.  cotton is getting out of favor.  I may try it and see and if I don't like it give it to a child, they won't know the difference maybe.  :-)

Balsamic is made from grapes, not olives.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Balsamic vinegar made in Georgia is just vinegar.

42 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Balsamic vinegar made in Georgia is just vinegar.

But it’s aged for 2 hours. :lol:

The production of balsamic vinegar is highly regulated and exclusive of Modena or the Emilia Region of Italy.  The quality of the product is determined by the aging processes.  You can get 100 year balsamic if you are willing to dish out a ton of money or maybe mortgage your wife, children and maybe even your dog (now, personally I would not part with the latter).  The stuff goes right along with saffron, real caviar, truffles, and certain dessert wines.  The cheap stuff is good in salads but to use it in ice cream you have to use better stuff, although not 100 year or even 25 year old stuff.

Balsamic vinegar is just wine that turned bad.  Imagine the poor guy who's family has been saving a barrel of wine for 100 years.  They finally open it up and expect to reap the rewards, only to find out its turned to vinegar.  

16 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Balsamic vinegar is just wine that turned bad.  Imagine the poor guy who's family has been saving a barrel of wine for 100 years.  They finally open it up and expect to reap the rewards, only to find out its turned to vinegar.  

If it is made in America, yes.  Emilio Regiana, no.

Archived