SASS Wire Forum

H&R 1871 Buffalo classic

Col Del Rio

I have a line on a H&R 1871 Buffalo classic.  For a long range (aka Quigley) match, I would have to replace the sights to that of the correct period. Other than that, has anyone used one for a long range match?

Col. Del Rio

The first time I shot at Trailhead in 99 or 00 I tried long range. They have a silhouette range, complete with chickens, rams, pigs, elephants, whatever. Anyway, what I remember most is a shooter named Jesse Chisolm besting all these Sharps and Hi walls with hundreds of dollars worth of sights with a bone stock H&R in 45-70. Even carried it to the range in the cardboard box it came in.

They work great .

I regret selling the one I had .

If you ever upgrade ? Keep it !

Or you will have regrets also .

Rooster 

Other than that, has anyone used one for a long range match?

Colonel  - can attest to the accuracy of the H&R Buffalo Classic.  Not for any SASS matches but:

* First range test with the rifle using 152 MOA on the vernier, charged with Triple Seven and a 500gr bullet ... 7 shots on a 600yd target = all in the 7 ring with 3 shots that could be covered by a silver dollar.  Target verified by 2 club members

* Subsequent shooting at 1000yds with KIK FFg powder and a 535gr Postell bullet = multiple hits on a 48" x 82" buffalo silhouette

Both examples were shot with a tang vernier sight mounted on the wrist of the rifle

As was said before, if the BC could be used for NRA sanctioned matches, many members in the BPCR community have stated the BC would be equal to or better for accuracy to any of the high end 74 Sharps rifles currently made

I like mine for Quigley matches.  It is light enough to be shot offhand.   I use Triple Seven and a Walters Wad.  Without the wad accuracy was horrible.

Really nice Rifle.  Picked up an H&R "Target" Classic in 38-55.  Same as a Buffalo Classic just 38-55.  Really accurate and not at all picky to load for.  Then I found one in 45 Colt with an 18inch barrel.  Super fun and accurate as well.  

They are starting to get a bit pricy but still a very good buy.

Can you still order barrels?  I have a Handy Rifle with both 223 and 7-08 barrels.  I could add a 45-70 to that.

I bought a handi rifle in 45-70.  Great shooting gun!  Lots of fun and 45-70 is one of my favorite calibers.  I sent in and got a 223 heavy barrel and a 30-06 barrel.  I figure between the 3 I can hunt pretty much anything in North America, should I decide I wanted to.

Always figured all I have to do is switch out the plastic stocks for wood and I could use it for a long range match instead of my trapdoor.

I had one for awhile. Shot great and was accurate enough, but damn it hurt to shoot a casefull of black powder and a 530 grain Postell. Just too lightweight.

Before it became the H&R, it was the Wesson & Harrington Buffalo Classic. I have one, wonderfully accurate with 405gr and 510gr BP loads. I've shot it out to 600 yds with a blade rear sight.

Bit of background: The W&H and the H&R Buffalo Classic barrels were made by Green Mountain as were the barrels for the 38-55 Target Model.  And if you want to shoot black powder in the 38-55, the chamber has to be reamed out because they were cut for 375 Winchester factory rounds

Can you still order barrels?

Noz, as stated Out of Production when Remington took over but your best source would be the WTB on Graybeard Outdoors ...

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/182-want-buy-firearms-ammo.html

eBay is your other source ... https://www.ebay.com/b/Rifle-Parts-for-Harrington-Richardson/73949/bn_1854400

Barrel prices are astronomical now ... $25 less than what I paid for the BC with the 38-55 barrel fitted

"And if you want to shoot black powder in the 38-55, the chamber has to be reamed out because they were cut for 375 Winchester factory rounds."

John Boy, please elaborate on this. No test. I am curious.  

The .375 Winchester is about a tenth of an inch shorter, but I don't think the H&R .38-55 Target chambers were cut shorter for it. The chamber is .38-55 length, but the throat was cut for .375" (?... maybe .376") Winchester jacketed bullets. So, when a proper sized .379 or .380" lead bullet is loaded, the neck of the round is often (usually!) too large to chamber easily, or at all. I have no idea what black powder vs. smokeless would have to do with the round chambering or not.

I set out to put a Buffington sight on my W&H... but at the time couldn't find one.

Settled for a Krag sight ~ functionally the same, even the same barrel contour and holes.  Had the barrel drilled and tapped just forward of the chamber, and a globe up front.  Works quite well, with tons more elevation and windage than a body would ever need.  :)

5a092bbf2454e_BuffaloClassic1.JPG.c8df30f75a1f9875f606e03c01158d93.JPG5a092bc03f56e_BuffaloClassic2.JPG.64236b64ae758cf192fc179c6aaa355f.JPG5a092bc145823_BuffaloClassic4.JPG.895fa83e3b4e723cd0ed26e332b63f22.JPG

Bulldog, if you go to Ebay and type "Buffington Sight" you'll find several of the type I originally wanted... for the one I ultimately used, type "1901 Krag Sight."  Or a Google search for "1901 Krag Sight For Sale."

You might have to hunt around for a bit to find one that isn't priced too dearly, but they're out there.

Good luck to you ~ I do enjoy mine!

I have a H&R target rifle in 38-55, improved Marbles tang the one you can change post on. I use Starline brass the long case 2.125 with 255 gr. Bearcreek 380 dim. They chamber easy and drop right out after shooting. I have placed in a number of 200 yd. shoot. I also use this round in my Marlin chambered in 38-55 works good for me'

Rob 

only thing wrong with the H&R BC is you will get ZERO "Style Points" for using it! They are good shooters. Just ugly as a mud fence. I had one in 45-70, but wound up with a 1885 HiWall in 38-55 for my long range gun.

My first long range match with it some fairly experienced long range shooters were helping me out. All I had on it was a Smith Ladder sight. after shooting the 100 and 200 yd targets, we went to 300. I commented " yall don't laugh, I don't have $400 sights on this rifle"  One of them made the comment, "I don't have $400 sights on mine either" (meaning he had more than $400!) I hit at 300, and then had 1 miss at 400. in short, they are good rifles. I did win the Quigley match, 3 shots on a smallish target, offhand at 125 yds. I just about halved the time of the next closest shooter. they are quick rifles to load, shoulder and shoot.

They are a little light in the stern. some say you can fill the cavity that the stock bolt goes thru with #8 shot, then put the butt plate back on and it makes the recoil a little less noticeable.  I never tried it.

Some folks sell a length of 7/8 inch solid round stock which fits the bolt cavity to add balance and weight.

Others have hollowed out the forearm a little and filled it with molten lead for weight.

I have yet to try these.

only thing wrong with the H&R BC is you will get ZERO "Style Points" for using it! They are good shooters. Just ugly as a mud fence

Hoss, is this rifle ugly?  Does it look to you to be a H&R BC design?

It's an engraved 1887 Wurfflein made in Philadelphia

I have 2 plain Wurffleins: 22LR Lady's Model and a 38-55.  They are IMO a well designed rifle and accurate

image.jpeg.1b4948665b40de00fe8af84884d6a6ea.jpeg

H&R has stated the BC was designed on the Wesson & Richardson but I have always disagreed, it was on the Wurfflein design

image.jpeg.91fce7f6b86e6ada86efb35c6201216b.jpegimage.jpeg.91fce7f6b86e6ada86efb35c6201216b.jpeg

Archived