SASS Wire Forum

Sideplate removal on Uberti 1860 Henry

Isom Dart, SASS#8096

What is the "proper" way to remove the sideplates on a Henry ? I've heard tap up, /, tap down ,,, which way is the "PROPER" way ? Not this is how I do it, but the correct way. Or, does it matter ?

Thanks,

Isom

I gently tap with a small rubber hammer. It doesn't take much to break it free.

Go up or go down It doesn't matter.

28 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Go up or go down It doesn't matter.

Not sure about that.

I tapped mine down - and royally buggered it up.

Folks over at CAS City were kind enough to tell me it should go UP, not down.  Apparently, there is a very slight taper.

Took almost a year to get a replacement side plate from  Taylor's.

LL 

I push mine up .

But that Me 

Just sayin

Rooster

1 hour ago, Major Art Tillery said:

I know once removed the edges are dang sharp! Be careful, I sliced two fingers on mine.

Major Art Tillery

Is that why you changed your Alias from Major Sir Jury:lol:

Hi Nate!!  How have you been??  Well I would hope.

I find however, I must disagree with my esteemed colleague.  In my 20 plus years as a CAS Gunsmith, I have not had an instance of a Uberti Henry rifle frame "stretching" ... UNLESS ... The rifle was being fired with inappropriate ammunition, as in way too heavy a load for a brass rifle.  Or perhaps, too heavy for any toggle link rifle.  In 99% of Uberti Henry rifles, the Side Plates are entirely too tight and not properly fit from the factory.  THAT is a real PITA.

Removal and replacement however is spot on.  With a nylon head mallet drive the Side Plate "UP" from the bottom, alternating front/back/front/back to maintain alignment.  Replace the Side Plate from the top down.  It is important to be EXTREMELY careful handling the Side Plates.  ALL FOUR edges are razor sharp and will do some real damage.  Keep a box of BandAids handy.

Never had to use helper to remove the side plates on my "Iron" Henry. I did have the lever screw back out once and the right side plate slid down and caught my trigger finger!  Luckily, that bottom edge isn't real sharp!  My side plates slide in and out freely in either direction.

On mine, which is made by the Henry Repeating Arms Company, I go up. Once the lever screw is out, a little tap or push and they go right out. But, yes they have sharp edges and u need to very careful.

Archived