SASS Wire Forum

Here is a list of Mass compliant Vaqueros;

Jaan

I emailed Ruger customer service and they were kind enough to provide me with a list of Vaquero model numbers currently legal to purchase in Massachusetts...

0538, 0539, 0590, 0592, 0521, 0523, 0536, 0537, 0546, 0547, 0548, 0549, 0556, 0557, 0575, 0576, 0577, 0579, 0589, 0591, 5101, 5102, 5103, 5104, 5105, 5106, 5107, 5108, 5109, 5112, 5113, 5122, 5123, 5129, 5130, 5133, 5134, 8863, 10514

...and before some grizzled old curmudgeon points out this information is already available I found the PDF list to be a bit cumbersome when searching for model number only (since they're ordered differently).

Don't get us started, July......

There is NOTHING physically different; it just indicates that the model has been "tested" and found to comply with the MA "safety" requirements.

Now, tell me again why, if every standard version of the Vaquero passes this process, why we can't buy Talo versions (which carry "unique" serial numbers, and so do not show up on the "compliant" list)?

And while we are at it, why have all of the serial numbers for "Old Style" Vaqueros disappeared from The List?   If I try to buy an Old Style Vaquero from an out of state seller, and it arrives at my dealer in MA, how can he complete the transfer if the numbers are no longer on the list?

Grumble, grumble, grumble........

LL

That in insanity marrying stupidity.

A sixgun being regulated... ugh.

I feel for you guys.

A single shot Thompson Contender or Encore can not be sold in MA because they are not "certified"

The only way we can purchase any firearms that are not on the list is if they were in the state before 1998 and the seller has proof, or if someone moves into the state and brings his uncertified guns with him, and then sells them.

Strange....It is not illegal to own or buy these noncertified guns from a private party......In fact, if you did buy one from an FFL dealer, you did no wrong......The dealer broke the law, not you.

When Bass Pro Shops opened here a number of years ago, they were ignorant of the law and were selling Springfields, Glocks, and all kinds of other noncertified firearms. Folks ran up there when it was posted on the internet and bought all kinds of "bad" guns. The AG got wind of it and asked BPS to get them all back. Near no one complied as they had not broken any law by buying them. Not sure what the outcome was to BPS. Never heard if they paid a fine or what the resolution was.

American gun lovers giving their guns up?

Ha! Make me laugh!

I guess I'm not understanding the whole point of this thread.  Is this just a heads up to let everyone here know just how insane your state laws are?  "Compliant Vaqueros", what nonsense, there is no such thing, you have Vaqueros and New Vaqueros, THAT'S IT! 

Should anyone but those who choose to live in a state and put up with this garbage be the slightest bit concerned?

The way I see it you folks voted in the lunatics that are making these asinine laws so deal with the consequences.

George,

As the folks from California and other liberal states start moving to Arizona, you will find yourself in a similar situation. Just look at Colorado and what has happened to that state over the last few years. Maine, Georgia, Wyoming, and many more are receiving an influx of liberals into the bigger cities and making it very difficult for conservatives.

If I could move, you can bet your bottom dollar I would. But grandkids keeps my wife firmly planted in this Godforsaken state. I didn't vote any of these nitwits in. Not a one....But my vote hasn't counted for over 50 years in this state.

shall not be infringed.

Actually in the Heller decision, the supreme court ruled that states could apply "reasonable restrictions" on firearm ownership.  Now we need to spend another ten years and millions of dollars defining what "reasonable" means...............

If Ruger changes the grips or barrel length or finish and gives it a new model number, the gun has to go through certification. It is all about model number and not configuration. 

For Instance:

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 0521) .357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 0523) .357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 0575) .357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 0576) .357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 0577) .357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 0579) .357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 5106) .357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 5107) .357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 5108) .357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 5109) .357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 5130) 357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 5133) 357 Mag.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. New Vaquero (Model # 10514) .357 Mag.

2 hours ago, Deadeye George said:

I guess I'm not understanding the whole point of this thread.

The point is to help other Massachusetts shooters who wish to purchase pistols for CAS have a list that's easy to check against model number when searching through Gun Broker for example.  KUDOS for Rugers support though, they send in a LOT of guns for testing across their entire product line.

Roy B is right of course...there's a distributor special that's engraved I couldn't buy.  That's the only difference from a compliant model, it's engraved.  I'd like to get a birds head grip on one of the guns but to do that I'd have to buy the grip after the fact and change it out.  $111 for stainless grip frame, not counting the grips themselves.  I'd actually like to get a pair of Uberti Cattlemen, but they either can't pass the "drop test" or were never submitted.  As a consumer, I just don't have a choice.

And a by product of this whole mess is any SAA revolvers that are legally PRE-98 in the state are extremely expensive. I've seen open-top Uberti revolvers that are $300 over the state line in NH go for $500 here in MA because they are unobtainium.

And don't even think about buying an Colt SAA revolvers....................I'd give a kidney for a pair in 38-40!

You are correct... the firearm must be made of metal having a specific nature to stop cheap Saturday Night Specials and it must have some type of trigger lock, either internal or external and must sustain a drop on the hammer from a distance of 6 feet onto a concrete surface and not discharge and I believe 6 specimens must under go this test. I’ve been told testing and certification can cost $10,000 per firearm.

Back door gun control.

38 minutes ago, Red Cent said:

Back door gun control.

Exactly.  But the AG, several years ago, put in effect as the head of Consumer Protection.  The Legislature didn't fight it.  There was a court challenge but we lost.

Some of the AG's more or less ignored it.  Maura Healy, looking for a place on Clintons Team enforced it and made it worse just before the Convention.  A whole new problem with AR's.

She has bigger political aspirations.  As Clinton didn't get the White House, my bet is a run for Governor here in MA.  She'll lose as all others from that office have, but until we can get an AG with much different views on Firearms, we're stuck.

3 hours ago, Roy B said:

And don't even think about buying an Colt SAA revolvers....................I'd give a kidney for a pair in 38-40!

Don't give up hope.  I'll bet there are a used pair or two out there.  If not I've seen a bunch in .45.  Send them back to Colt and have the caliber changed.

I own 17, 15 in .45 and 2 in .44 Special.  Found them at obscure gun shops and shows.  it took years but I completed the .45 collection.  I just need a Buntline.

I'm looking for a pair in .38/.357

Ever thought of finding out what the legislature drives and then petitioning to have certain cars regulated?

Cars with over 300 horsepower must have 4 doors.

2 door cars must have an escape hatch.

Cars with stick shifts must have electric windows and locks. 

Get my drift? It would take one heck of an effort...problem is they’d probably love the idea...

9 hours ago, Deadeye George said:

Should anyone but those who choose to live in a state and put up with this garbage be the slightest bit concerned?

The way I see it you folks voted in the lunatics that are making these asinine laws so deal with the consequences.

What in the world makes you think that everybody in Mass voted for those politicians?

It must be nice to sit someplace safe and throw stones at folks who don't live where you live.

Wait until all the vacationers and retirees move into your state and start trying to change your laws.

6 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

What in the world makes you think that everybody in Mass voted for those politicians?

Wait until all the vacationers and retirees move into your state and start trying to change your laws.

Massachusetts suffers from the same problem a lot of other states suffer from...it's the people in the big cities that have the biggest effect on the laws.  I used to hunt in the Adirondack mountains in New York State.  Do you really think any of those people voted for Clinton or wanted to have the SAFE act passed?  Thousands of acres of rural land controlled by New York City.

9 hours ago, Deadeye George said:

Don't know and don't care if you are concerned. I wish I was born in a free state such as yours. Unfortunately, I grew up in the peoples republic of ny.  It would be extremely difficult to leave family, especially grand children. I did not vote in the scum that make these laws. Upstate ny is dominated by nyc.

The way I see it, your statement is arrogant and obnoxious, directed at folks that have very little control over the situation. 

Colesville Bob

Liberal states do liberal things. Too bad that folks who love our freedoms, Constitution, stand for the national anthem and flag, have a respect for the history of our country and the Judeo-christian values it was founded upon - the rights recognized, know the difference between a man and woman, respect laws that punish the perpetrator and give justice to the victim... are becoming an ancient race. Regardless, those that still exist and live in these states keep up the fight. Godspeed to y'all.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

21 hours ago, Deadeye George said:

I guess I'm not understanding the whole point of this thread.  Is this just a heads up to let everyone here know just how insane your state laws are?  "Compliant Vaqueros", what nonsense, there is no such thing, you have Vaqueros and New Vaqueros, THAT'S IT! 

YES!!  You should be concerned!!  The state of Massachusetts has passed these arbitrary laws. If you aren't concerned then it COULD happen in your state!!!

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:03 PM, Deadeye George said:

In the not so distant past the Great State of Washington was a firearm friendly state and a great place to retire to. In the past 30 years liberals have been immigrating to the western coast of the state in droves, many from states like the PRoK.

It started because of all the newly created computer related jobs that opened up in the area coupled with what was then a very low cost of living. Locals used to throw rocks at cars with cali plates because they were driving up the cost of housing to the point where it was 3 to 5 times beyond what the locals could afford.  

Yuppies could sell their tract home on a tiny lot in the PRoK, move to Washington, buy twice the home on a nice sized lot, and still have money left over from the sale of their home in the PRoK.  

Now Washington State firearm owners are being subjected to the same liberal non-sense that has besieged firearm owners in the PRoK simply because they have been over run by liberal immigrants.

Somewhere between 7 and 9 out of every 10 Washingtonians that live East of the Sierra Nevada Mountains would like to pull away from the Western side of the state and become part of Idaho. Same pretty much holds true for  Eastern Oregon.

If you think it wont happen to AZ you are wrong.

On 11/8/2017 at 8:32 PM, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

Don't give up hope.  I'll bet there are a used pair or two out there.  If not I've seen a bunch in .45.  Send them back to Colt and have the caliber changed.

I own 17, 15 in .45 and 2 in .44 Special.  Found them at obscure gun shops and shows.  it took years but I completed the .45 collection.  I just need a Buntline.

I'm looking for a pair in .38/.357

Chuck:

There is a 12" Colt Buntline at Four Seasons - and only $4800! 

Such a deal!!

LL

You cant fix stupid no matter what part of the Government they are from !

Rooster 

• 3 weeks later...

DING,   dong,  

The Chappaquiddick Kidd

is 

**DEAD**     ! ! !

( Can we assign him this Cowboy name post mortem ? ? ? )

((  Dare we ?  ))

Archived