SASS Wire Forum

Colt prices: true or not

Widder, SASS #59054

I have often heard that back around 1873 (or pre 1900), a feller could buy a new Colt SAA with a $20 Gold piece.

And then another 'fact' is added by saying... "A $20 GOLD piece could still buy a new Colt SAA today".

Are these statements a fact or just good conversational topics?

Thanks

..........Widder

A $20 gold piece contained roughly an ounce of our gold correct?  In the last few years we have seen the price of gold fluctuate as high as $1800. Today the price of gold is just under $1300 per ounce.  I sure don’t see a lot of Colts in that price range, some but not a lot, never have seen a new one for under 2 grand.

Yes I think it is a least plausible.  Just like, using gold as a standard, " a loaf of bread costs the same today as it did in Christ's time " .   

From the Sears catalog 1897....Colt Single Action Army, Frontier and Target models in .32, .38. .44. and .45 

$12.95

I would really like to have the Gold instead .

Just sayin 

Rooster 

Based solely on melt value it is not to likely as today's value is about $1200 an ounce and there was not quite an ounce of gold in the coin.  However if you had the right 1873 $20 gold piece, you could exchange it for enough money to buy a colt revolver. If you were lucky enough to have the right one you could buy a lot of them. $20 gold pieces from 1870 to 1873 are similarly priced.

1873 Liberty Head Double Eagle Coin Info

Melt Value:  $1,240.08

Type: Gold Coin

Metal Content: 0.96750 t oz

Face Value: $20 USD

Mintage: 2,772,860

Issuing Mint: U.S. Mint

Year Issued: 1873

1873 Liberty Head double eagle $20 gold coins are rather common by date, as more than 2.7 million were made across the Philadelphia, Carson City, and San Francisco mints. What makes 1873 a particularly interesting year for Liberty Head $20 gold coin enthusiasts, however, is the varieties that were created when the style of the “3” in the date was changed on both the Philadelphia and San Francisco issues.

The “closed 3” variety shows the last digit of the date with loopier-looking ends on the “3” than seen on the “open 3” variety. While this means there are more varieties to look for (and spend money on) when collecting Liberty Head double eagles, neither the 1873 “closed 3” or “open 3” varieties are notably scarce, especially in the circulated grades.

Here is a breakdown of the mintages and values of 1873 double eagle gold coins:

• 1873 closed 3, 1,709,825; $2,050

• 1873 open 3, mintage included above; $1,980

• 1873-CC, 22,410; $9,000

• 1873-S closed 3, 1,040,600; $1,950

• 1873-S open 3, mintage included above; $1,980

• 1873 closed 3 proof, 25; $210,000

*Values are for coins in a grade of Extremely Fine 40 unless otherwise specified.

1873 $20 double eagle gold coins weigh 33.44 grams and contain 0.9613 ounces of gold. They’re also 34 millimeters wide, which places their diameter about halfway between the widths of a modern-day half dollar and silver dollar. The double eagle’s overall large size and hefty weight help make them popular among coin collectors and investors alike.

2 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

When's the last time you were able shoot bullets out of gold?

Yep when the SHTF; lead and the means to dispense it effectively will be worth more than all the gold.

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yep when the SHTF; lead and the means to dispense it effectively will be worth more than all the gold.

In such an instance, I can think of far more suitable firearms than a Colt SAA.  

1 hour ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

In such an instance, I can think of far more suitable firearms than a Colt SAA.  

But how many of those can you think of that have as much class?

Colt SAA's and $20 gold double eagles are BOTH sexy.

I would not shy away from either.

Gold is about $1300 an ounce right now, so could be :)

4 minutes ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

Gold is about $1300 an ounce right now, so could be :)

And new Colts are about $2000-$2500 if you can find one

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Class is for the range, not for dire situations ;)

Perhaps, but in a dire situation I'd rather have a Colt than a gold coin

The old saw as I remember it was that a $20 gold piece would buy you a Colt revolver, a suit and the tailor would throw in a tie for free and in today's economy that same coin bought the same thing, but no free tie.  No clue if it's true, but it's been around for far longer than I have.

Howdy,

Them old Colts have collector value depending on condition.

SAME with them old gold coins.

I bet one could buy NEW colts for NEW gold coins, depending on details.

And yes Widder, yall did git some conversation, ;)

best

CR

7 hours ago, July Smith said:

A $20 gold piece contained roughly an ounce of our gold correct?  In the last few years we have seen the price of gold fluctuate as high as $1800. Today the price of gold is just under $1300 per ounce.  I sure don’t see a lot of Colts in that price range, some but not a lot, never have seen a new one for under 2 grand.

5a012428aa3c2_ColtSAA38SpecialNovember2017.jpg.db6e5ed3926d589c624299b8556184be.jpg

Found a pair of brand new from Colt in 38 Special at local gunshop.  $1,999.99.  So under $2,000.

Howdy

According to Kopec's A Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver, the first order placed by the Army in 1873 called for 8,000 new Colt's Revolvers to be delivered for $13 each. This included one screwdriver with each revolver (the screwdrivers cost $.10 if ordered separately). The guns were to be packed 50 to a box, an additional $5 was charged for each box. This contract was finalized on July 23, 1873.

Commercial sales in 1875 and 1876 to a pool of five different companies totaled about 12,000 revolvers at $10.50 each. That was the price paid by the companies, I have no information about what the retail prices were.

8 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

According to Kopec's A Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver, the first order placed by the Army in 1873 called for 8,000 new Colt's Revolvers to be delivered for $13 each. This included one screwdriver with each revolver (the screwdrivers cost $.10 if ordered separately). The guns were to be packed 50 to a box, an additional $5 was charged for each box. This contract was finalized on July 23, 1873.

Commercial sales in 1875 and 1876 to a pool of five different companies totaled about 12,000 revolvers at $10.50 each. That was the price paid by the companies, I have no information about what the retail prices were.

15 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

From the Sears catalog 1897....Colt Single Action Army, Frontier and Target models in .32, .38. .44. and .45 

$12.95

Here are the prices from 1897

Howdy Again

The original question asked what a Colt cost in 1873.

Bear in mind that by 1897 the Colt SAA was no longer 'state of the art' technology.

The 1897 Sears price would reflect that.

On 11/6/2017 at 9:12 PM, Warden Callaway said:

5a012428aa3c2_ColtSAA38SpecialNovember2017.jpg.db6e5ed3926d589c624299b8556184be.jpg

Found a pair of brand new from Colt in 38 Special at local gunshop.  $1,999.99.  So under $2,000.

And yet, according to Davidson's, the MSRP for a 4-¾" 45Colt SAA is $1799.    Out of production models will generally demand a higher price.    Since a new $20 gold piece would only set you back $20, that kinda blows that adage outta the water.  

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, July Smith said:

Apples and Oranges

If originally an ounce of gold would buy a gun that was being made in bulk every day......

compared

to an ounce of gold today buying a gun that is NOT in mass production.

about 6 years ago....

if an ounce of gold was somewhere between $1300 and $1800.  And a New Colt was $1500 all day long.

So I say that it is true.

You can't compare it to a non production gun. ( and when I can't just walk into by local store and buy one today, then it is not truly in production.  It is custom )

Archived