SASS Wire Forum

So, I'm trying to improve my vocabulary, particularly with "new" words that are totally unfamiliar.

Reading about investors who are concerned that they may be missing the "up" side of the current market because they are hanging back to avoid the inevitable downside (now that's silly!)

Writer refers to "FOMO"; I had to Google that one.

Fear Of Missing Out.  Seems that millennials, raised with a permanent tether between their cell phones, IPads and brains, feel "anxious" when they are not up to the minute in their "social contacts".

A new form of anxiety - "social media-based anxiety" - demanding new forms of counselling and treatment.

Sheesh....

I favor the approach of one commentator - : "The easiest way to skip FOMO caused by social media is to not go on social media."

https://lifehacker.com/why-fomo-is-actually-social-anxiety-and-what-you-should-1794561929

LL

My friend asked me if I have a cleaver because Alton Brown recommends using a cleaver to halve a pumpkin.  I thought of her inexperienced, Parkinson's diseased self swinging a cleaver and told her that I simply use a BFK (big knife) to bifurcate a pumpkin in a more controlled manner.

WTH are they going to do when they join the real world and get jobs where bosses won't tolerate this kind of behavior?

16 minutes ago, Chantry said:

WTH are they going to do when they join the real world and get jobs where bosses won't tolerate this kind of behavior?

Look again, pard....

Those bosses - the ones we grew up with - have been replaced with 30-something MBAs with cell phones in their hands.  The world is changing, and not necessarily for the better.

Geez...I sound like an old codger, resisting change and blaming the next generation for the end of civilization.

Well, when it all goes down the hopper, it won't be my fault!

LL

5 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Look again, pard....

Those bosses - the ones we grew up with - have been replaced with 30-something MBAs with cell phones in their hands.  The world is changing, and not necessarily for the better.

Geez...I sound like an old codger, resisting change and blaming the next generation for the end of civilization.

Well, when it all goes down the hopper, it won't be my fault!

LL

Different environments then, my immediate management has been very clear that cell phones are not to be used for anything other then the playing of music while they work and I'm pretty sure that is a company wide policy.

The last place I worked, you turned off the cell phone and left it in your locker or tool box!!  We'd had several injury accidents that were directly attributed to cell phone use!!

21 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Different environments then, my immediate management has been very clear that cell phones are not to be used for anything other then the playing of music while they work and I'm pretty sure that is a company wide policy.

I'm sure that you are right.

In the offices I visit, cellphones have displaced a wired office phone system, and individuals list their cell phone numbers on their business cards and websites.  

Fortune Magazine estimates that most employees waste almost an hour a day on personal cell phone calls, social media, gaming, etc.

http://fortune.com/2017/07/25/cell-phone-lost-productivity/

LL

Archived