SASS Wire Forum

.38 Special Blowby?

John Henry Quick

I'm curious if .38 Special/.357 Magnum cases suffer from blowby when shooting black powder like .45 Colt does, or do the cases seal the chamber more easily?  I know someone will want to tell me about annealing brass, but I'm asking about the average .38 case without annealing.

Thanks!

The do not have as much blow-back as the 45.  Partly because they are smaller and the pressure curves are different.  A good crimp helps a lot, of course.

Most folks don't bother annealing the 38's. 

I experience very little if any blowby shooting .38 specials.

I shoot 125 gr LTC bullets with the case filled to just below the base of the bullet with FFFg APP. 

I do not anneal the cases.

What little blowback I get is rendered inconsequential by spritzing the rifle carrier with Ballistol about every 3rd stage.  Revolvers never need nothin’!  ;)

Not a problem with 38, a good BL bullet carries plenty of lube. Heather and I share guns when she wants to shoot BP, (allot lately) so that's 12 stages on those guns;). Depending on humidity I may wipe the cylinder face with a couple of drops of mule snot (Murphy's mix with Ballistol) after third stage. Good Luck:)

I have never had an issue with blowback from 38’s using 3F and a good crimp. Fun round to shoot with black. Shoot C&B in revolvers in both 36 and 44 so not familiar with 38’s in revolvers.

I shoot BP 38s in light wind conditions and BP 44-40s in higher wind conditions.

The 38 blow back is slight, wipe the cylinder faces and rifle receiver area ever other stage with baby wipes.

44-40 is good for all day.

Winchester AA hulls blow back burns the outside of the hull, one shot and in the trash.

Fiocchi hulls are good for 3 reloads, trimmed after each load.

Amarillo Rattler

1 hour ago, Amarillo Rattler said:

I shoot BP 38s in light wind conditions and BP 44-40s in higher wind conditions.

The 38 blow back is slight, wipe the cylinder faces and rifle receiver area ever other stage with baby wipes.

44-40 is good for all day.

Winchester AA hulls blow back burns the outside of the hull, one shot and in the trash.

Fiocchi hulls are good for 3 reloads, trimmed after each load.

Amarillo Rattler

I shoot .44-40 with Big Lubes over a full case of 3Fg (well, technically it's 5Fa, but that's a different discussion) and Remington STS hulls with 3Fg/5Fa in Frontiersman.  The .38 (if I get it) is going to be my backup rifle.

Fill em up with 3F and throw a snakebite big lube boolit in with a good tight crimp and you will be good to go,  shoot six stages with no issues

51 minutes ago, Cholla Bob said:

Fill em up with 3F and throw a snakebite big lube boolit in with a good tight crimp and you will be good to go,  shoot six stages with no issues

Oddly enough, I was just looking at those bullets on Springfield Slim's site.  ;)

I use Goex 3F in both ,,,,,, All my FCD  rounds ...

My .45 Colt brass is as Clean as my .38 special brass after firing..

The .38 spl. has at least as much blow-by as the .45 Colt when you consider the volume of powder burned ....

I feel that properly loaded .45 Colt cartridges don't have a real lot of blow-by ,,, but trying to download the old Girl causes a very dirty gun ...

If you want no blow-by shoot .38 WCF ( .38 - 40 ) my FULL case loads of black leave cases cleaner than my smokieless loads I use for In-door shooting in the Winter ..

Jabez Cowboy

2 hours ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Mr. John Henry, I would expect you would want some blow-by because of your love of cleaning guns.

:lol:  I actually do love cleaning my '51 Navies, but not rifles!  Since I switched from .45 Colt to .44-40, I've gone from tearing the gun almost completely down after EVERY match to now with my .44-40 I just pull a boresnake through about 5 times and I'm DONE!   In the 3 years I've been shooting that .44-40 I've only pulled the side plates off to clean her one time after two years of full-power BP loads and ya know what?  She was CLEAN!  ;)

I already have an extra '51 Navy and an extra shotgun - the .38 Rossi 92 I've got coming is going to be my backup rifle and it's nice to know it'll shoot relatively clean.  :)

BTW, I plan to be out there this Sunday if it ain't raining ('m so durn sweet I just might melt).  Cya then!  :)

Much depends on the gun.  I have a Marlin 1894 that only shoots .38s.  It has much blowby.  I must lube every other stage to keep it running.  I just shot Bordertown with a Marlin shooting .357s.  A fellow BP shooter remarked that the receiver was so clean it looked like I was shooting smokeless.

Archived