SASS Wire Forum

What would you do?

Rance - SASS # 54090

Rance-Firearm safety is so important! You did the 'rite' thing here.

It's just that we didn't see what you did, and at the angle you saw it.

Yes, a slung long gun(muzzle up)can be safely placed and recovered from the table.

Respectfully,

OLG

Yep, ya done alright, glad you posted it and......as others have noted when it happened would be the best time to do a little aid and correction "whoa whoa watch that muzzle......here let me help you". The SXS is the most common offender going from cart to table and table to cart,.......and yes I know it's empty cause I can read the letters on yer belt buckle through the pipes:o. I've had to warn a couple they were getting close.....pick up SXS at cart, then lean down to get rifle or ammo strips...this is when the muzzle tips forward and starts to say HI! to the crowd. Because of the hinging motion the action wants to close, to counter that when bending over shooter tips the muzzles forward a little. Same thing can happen at stage end or more often when at cart. The later it gets on a hot day the more the muzzles tip forward. A little trick a fellow BP shooter showed me was to pickup SXS near the hinge point with the little finger in the front of the trigger guard, that holds the shotgun open barrels high and easy to control muzzle....and less likely to burn the hands from hot barrels;). Good Luck:)

I’m assuming ou are referring to the path from the line to the ult, as I’ve seen many carry it muzzle up from the ult to their cart? Am I correct 

On 10/29/2017 at 9:59 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One question:

When have you ever seen anyone with a rifle or shotgun "slung" over their shoulder where the barrel is pointed straight up in the air?...and I am sure the long gun in question isn't being carried at "shoulder arms".

If you sling your gun correctly it is pointed straight up.  When I use a sling for hunting, mine's always pointed straight up because my main reason for using a sling is to help me climb into stands, and I don't want the butt banging on the ladder.  If your sling is too long though, it will be pointed back.  That's if it's just on one shoulder which is what I originally imagined.  The way rance described it in his last post, that he slung it over his right shoulder with his left hand, it makes me think the gun was diagonal.  That the butt was on his left hip and the barrel was over his  right shoulder.  If that's what was happening, I can see potential for concern when he bent over. 

Since we know this is happening, and it sounds like more frequently, then we can all try to be more mindful and helpful with each other.  As someone earlier in this thread wrote...when the shooter finishes the stages, let all TOs start using the line (if they don't already) "BARRELS UP..."  If a shooter isn't being mindful of their own barrels and the TO doesn't say something or doesn't see it, we can all just remind each other.  It's helpful.  Since I started shooting a double a couple years ago I thought I was being safe with my muzzle from loading line to staging and then again to unloading line.  I wasn't.  I was used to "the stick," my '97.  The double is different, it's "broken."  Then someone told me what I was doing.  Actually, at Bordertown Posse Marshal meeting this subject was addressed and all PMs were asked to remind their posses that muzzle direction is as important from loading line to staging and to unloading line as it is while actively shooting the stage.  When I was reminded about my muzzle I didn't feel I was being admonished.  That was absolutely because of the delivery of the statement.  That's important, too.  

Archived