SASS Wire Forum

How to Dry Wet Brass in Under 2 Minutes! Can You Beat It?

John Boy

How to Dry Wet Brass in Under 2 Minutes!
« on: May 02, 2010, 01:26:06 PM »

Look around the gun and casting forums and you will see posts of many different ways to dry your wet brass.
Well, Billy Mays is here to tell you it can be done in under 2 minutes with two very common household 'tools':
* Your wife's or 'your'  ;D hair dryer
* A towel of any appropriate size to hold the batch of wet brass

Shake off the excess water in the cases.  Lay your wet cases on a towel.  Make and hold a 'cone shape' of one end of the towel.  Stuff all the cases into the cone.  Turn the hair dryer on High and point it into the cone.  In effect, one has created an oven.  In under 2 minutes, the cases will be so hot, one can not hold one with their fingers - Done!

IMGP0998.jpg

Regards
John
SASS ~ Darkside WartHog ~ SBSS (OGB, w/Star) ~ SCORRS
GAF Bvt 1st LT, Atlantic Division Scouts
Devote Convert to BPCR

I use a food dehydrator that I got for a few bucks at an estate sale.  Drain the brass well, put them in the dehydrator and watch a couple of TV shows.  They're perfectly dry.

57 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I use a food dehydrator that I got for a few bucks at an estate sale.  Drain the brass well, put them in the dehydrator and watch a couple of TV shows.  They're perfectly dry.

+1

Howdy,

As a non reloader I gotta ask, whats the rush?

Seems to me a dark colored towel laid out in the sun

and a single layer of wet brass and the brass would dry with

no electric bill.

I often dry heavy towels and sheets etc on a clothesline with

the help of sun and breeze.

Some days the sun isn't available but it sure helps sometimes.

Maybe instead of fastest, they might go fer cheeepest?

Best

CR

I'm gonna echo Chili Ron's question.  Does drying them faster make any difference other than saving time?  I ask because I have a hard time keeping my brass shiny.  I lay it all out on towels and by the time it's dry all the cases have already begun to tarnish. 

I put wet, black powder, brass directly into the tumbler filled with walnut hull media and three teaspoons of mineral spirits. After running the tumbler overnight the brass is shiny and ready to be reloaded.

Lucky

Nah.  I'm lazy.  Too easy to set the towel aflame.  Bad Joss.  It is now being Winter in the north east .... What is "sun??"   Just drain and dump the brass on a rimmed cookie sheet, bake at 180 or 200 deg for an hour then dump em inna Dillon shaker for an hour and DONE!!

long as i dont get burned or the towel dont catch fire im OK with giving it a go , if the above occurs ill file a complaint

* A typical 1000 watt hair dryer can generate a maximum temperature of approximately 225 degrees F by formula

* Get burned?  I wait for the cases to cool down because the case will hot to the touch ... burns happen above approximately 140 degrees Fahrenheit

* Towel catch on fire? Cotton burns at 400 Fahrenheit

The only reason I can think of for wanting to dry the brass so quickly would be if I needed to reload them right away.  If that were the case then I would realize I don't have enough brass and get some more.

The only reason I can think of for wanting to dry the brass so quickly would be if I needed to reload them right away.  If that were the case then I would realize I don't have enough brass and get some more.

Cody, I really feel sorry for these individuals that are so cheap not to have sufficient brass in inventory.  I hope you are  not one of these types of reloaders.

I keep a more than ample inventory of brass and reloads for 31 calibers that I shoot including about 4200 primed empty 22LR cases that thank heavens I don't have to clean

Brass Partial Inventory

Brass_zpso4njsjvy.jpg including 1000 9mm

Reloads

REloads1_zpsux8n0im8.jpg

reloads_zpsth53g1rk.jpg

Empty Brass to be Reloaded

Two weeks ago, I spent 5 days at Ridgway Rifle Club with multiple rifles and here's the 1100 empty cases that need to be reloaded for inventory - not including the 2 hundred 22LR I shot

REloads%20To%20Do_zpskso4tf9n.jpg

And the pictures don't include the cases of shotshells, smokeless and black powder

As for me, I better things to do than 'wait for paint to dry'.

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

As for me, I better things to do than 'wait for paint to dry'.

I can see that,

It also looks like you have better things to do than straightening up your reloading room either. :P

1 hour ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Put mine in a dehydrator.

Me too, but I just call mine "The Oven".  Of course, at my house the oven doesn't have much else to do except cook the occasional frozen pizza.  That might explain why my reloads always smell so cheesy.

On 10/26/2017 at 2:49 PM, Barrelhouse Bob, SASS#22663 said:

Spread on a paper towel on the kitchen counter overnight. 

My wife won't let me use the kitchen table but I have an old table in the basement. I have an old blanket that serves the same function of the bath towel. I spead the wet brass evenly and cover with paper towels and wait a day or two.

Archived