SASS Wire Forum

If you are a MA shooter, you know about "The List" - a compilation of the handguns that are permitted to be sold in MA.  Guns get added to the list based upon their design and the results of the infamous "testing program", which includes dropping a loaded gun from a predetermined height onto a concrete surface.  Not many non-transfer bar revolvers will make it through that test.  High end gun makers like Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, etc. will not even submit their guns for testing - some out of belligerence, some out of an unwillingness to destroy thousands of dollars of guns just to gain access to a limited market in a restrictive state.  No Colts, either revolvers or semi-autos, are on the List.

What I did not know until today was that there is a second List; well, I knew it, but I had spent no time looking at it in years.  It is limited to guns designed specifically for target competition.  Initially, it included Olympic-style guns, and highly specialized competition guns - nothing that I was particularly interested in.  But I stumbled back across it again today, and lo and behold - COLTS.

15 different variations in 3 calibers of Colt Competition, Gold Cup National Match and Gold Cup Trophy - all approved for sale and exempted from the testing requirements.

Every once in awhile, I get hopeful again.

LL

I'm a big proponent of state's rights and against federal government interfering with state laws.  However, I hope that the courts intervene where state laws are unconstitutional and declare for our US Constitution's Second Amendment, "...shall not be infringed."

Sounds like whomever puts this list together knows nothing at all about firearms which is typical of anti-gunners!

These safe handgun laws are faux public safety laws.  This is obvious since they exclude public employees that are armed when working.  If the MA is like the CA law they exclude SA revolvers* which unless a replica that incorporates a transfer bar or retracting firing pin are susceptible to an AD if dropped.

*There is also minimum size requirement.

In my opinion, these "safety measures" were simply intended to reduce the availability of guns.  There was no epidemic of accidental firing of dropped guns.  Declaring every gun that does not conform to the State's concept of "safe" to be unreasonably dangerous was intended to drive manufacturers out of the market.  Fortunately, some makers hung in, making additions and changes to their product line that made their guns "MA Approved".  

Any time a politician tells you that they only want to restrict certain guns, don't believe them.  They want them all. 

LL

The Colt handguns and also Springfield handguns I recently examined as now being available in MA were hardly “target” models. Simple run of the mill 1911s

I believe California enacted most of MA law, but they do allow SAA Colts and clones...none of which are available in MA.....only new SAA we can buy are Ruger. And none of the Talo or other commissioned revolvers.

18 minutes ago, Roy B said:

The Colt handguns and also Springfield handguns I recently examined as now being available in MA were hardly “target” models. Simple run of the mill 1911s

I believe California enacted most of MA law, but they do allow SAA Colts and clones...none of which are available in MA.....only new SAA we can buy are Ruger. And none of the Talo or other commissioned revolvers.

Roy:

The Springfields are now on The List.  They must have submitted them for testing.

The Colts are on the target exception list.  Somebody must have persuaded one of the highly informed folks at the Criminal Information Bureau that fancy blue grips on a 1911 make it suitable for precision target shooting.  But I'm not complaining; it may be the only Colt I will ever be able to buy.

I've given up looking for signs of intelligence in this process.  We are banned from purchasing a TALO birdshead Vaquero, whose internal workings are no different than non-TALO versions, because they have a distinct model number, and no samples of that model have ever been submitted for testing.  Hogwash.

LL

On 10/25/2017 at 7:19 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Sounds like whomever puts this list together knows nothing at all about firearms which is typical of anti-gunners!

Could be worse. I got a first hand view of the Maryland General Asylum during various testimonies against the tyrannical gun laws they try to pass every year. The laws are written in the vaguest and most convoluted possible manner, by the insane, pushed by the ignorant, fought by the People and eventually codified by the morally and ethically bankrupt brass of the MSP and enforced by those who do not actually know what the letter of the bill that passed nor the codified law say (do not for one second assume as passed and as codified are the same).

We always told new gun people or gun people new to Maryland not to bother trying to find any sense or logic in the gun laws as it would lead to brain damage. Just learn it, follow it and suffer.

On 10/25/2017 at 7:49 PM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

If you are a MA shooter, you know about "The List" - a compilation of the handguns that are permitted to be sold in MA.  Guns get added to the list based upon their design and the results of the infamous "testing program", which includes dropping a loaded gun from a predetermined height onto a concrete surface.  Not many non-transfer bar revolvers will make it through that test.  High end gun makers like Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, etc. will not even submit their guns for testing - some out of belligerence, some out of an unwillingness to destroy thousands of dollars of guns just to gain access to a limited market in a restrictive state.  No Colts, either revolvers or semi-autos, are on the List.

What I did not know until today was that there is a second List; well, I knew it, but I had spent no time looking at it in years.  It is limited to guns designed specifically for target competition.  Initially, it included Olympic-style guns, and highly specialized competition guns - nothing that I was particularly interested in.  But I stumbled back across it again today, and lo and behold - COLTS.

15 different variations in 3 calibers of Colt Competition, Gold Cup National Match and Gold Cup Trophy - all approved for sale and exempted from the testing requirements.

LL

Are Ubertis or Piettas or Rugers on the list? Just curious, Ubertis and Piettas have the base pin safety and Ruger has a transfer bar. Colt has neither, maybe that's why????????:wacko:

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Are Ubertis or Piettas or Rugers on the list? Just curious, Ubertis and Piettas have the base pin safety and Ruger has a transfer bar. Colt has neither, maybe that's why????????:wacko:

No Ubertis; no Piettas (except cap guns, which MA does not treat as firearms anyway).  Some Rugers, but with strange exceptions.  I'm sure the transfer bars plays a role in the Rugers' ability to pass the drop test without firing; I'm not familiar with the base pin safety.

LL 

On 10/25/2017 at 4:49 PM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

Last I checked, all of the colts had fallen off the California DOJ list. I haven't heard if or when they will be back on again. As Lumpy said, this does not include single actions, as they are exempt.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just a FYI-

All single action revolvers are exempt from testing in CA, as per our DOJ.

OLG

Didn't SASS have something to do with that?? I seem to remember but maybe it was lever action rifles that they lobbied for.????

8 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Didn't SASS have something to do with that?? I seem to remember but maybe it was lever action rifles that they lobbied for.????

It was the round capacity of  lever action centerfire rifle, IIRC. :unsure:

SASS was a part of it, Cal-Guns, NRA/ILA, CRPA  and many other groups were in the fight also.

OLG

Archived