SASS Wire Forum

2018 Southwest Regional Championship

Flat Top Okie

Hello Everyone,

As you may have read or heard, all of the campsites with power and electricity are taken. We still have free dry camping available. We are also have 150 more shooters than we had at this time last year,  with two and a half months until the match. It appears that we will need to cut off entries at around 425 to be able to enter and double check scores and still get to the banquet. Please get your entries in as soon as possible. The addition of the new categories has made ordering awards a bit more challenging. We probably won't be entering applications tonight because today is Mae's birthday. Thanks again for helping to make Land Run a great match.  

Flat Top

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earlier in this thread, I posted pictures of a quilt I am donating for auction.  A lot of people requested a raffle to they could participate even though they could not be at the Land Run banquet.  So, we are going to have a raffle.  I will sell tickets at Land Run and Hell on the Border, $1 each or 6 for $5.  The quilt will be going to Winter Range, and Ruby Jewel, (LOCAS,) and Fannie Kicker will sell tickets there.  Ruby Jewel, (LOCAS) will be selling tickets on line on the LOCAS website.  Their address is www.ladiesofcowboyactionshooting.com.   Ruby Jewel will send me the names of the ticket purchasers and I will make sure every ticket gets in the hat!    Please give her a day or two to get that all set up as the final decisions were just made today.

Every cent will be donated to Just L and Fly for her medical and travel expenses related to her treatment.  Please help me spread the word, whether it be on the Wire, Facebook, email, etc, so we can raise as much money as possible for these two great people who are going through some rough times right now!

Mean Mary

Hello Everyone,

Well, today is Monday which means there will be several entries in my mailbox when I get home. We received 15 since the shooter list was posted last Thursday. I imagine we have received about two-thirds of what we can handle. Please get your entries in as soon as possible. With all the new potential categories, we will need to order buckles and plaques earlier than normal.

Thanks,

Flat Top

PS: We will post an updated shooter soon.

Hi Josey,

You can check the website for more detailed information, but the short version is that every costume or shooting style category can now have senior, silver senior or even elder statesman category. These expanded categories must still meet the minimum shooter requirement. 

Flat Top

My lodging reservations have been made and I'm ready to go.

I've never been to Oklahoma and really look forward to the visit.

An 'Oklahoma Friend' is sending in my application, along with his.    I sure hope he's not playing Rip Van Winkle during the winter months... :lol::lol:

..........Widder

Hey OKIE.

I've seen Red Knee shoot and I can honestly say that he don't have much to worry about me being in his competition level.

When the buzzer beeps, you'd think he's in a 20 yard dash for the Snickers bar..... :lol:

Anyhow, you should receive those applications either today or tomorrow because RK put them in the mail early this week.

Don't forget about the new and all slicked up Henry .22 donated to the Regional by Red Knee and myself.

Those are real nice rifles.

..........Widder

Hi Widder and Red Knee,

Good to hear. We know whomever wins the .22 will be thrilled and as far worrying about about how fast Red Knee moves, I think he has to move in the right direction to be much of a threat. I am reminded of the story of the "Tortoise and the Hare".

Flat Top

Hi All,

Mae and I entered applications again last night and an updated shooter list will be posted very soon. As of yesterday we have over 300 registered with more than two months before the match. Our plan is limit the match to 420 which is 20 per posse. Remember we are shooting two flights and we have to finish Saturday early enough for double checking scores and getting dressed for the banquet. If you have not mailed your application, please do as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Flat Top 

Hi All,

The current shooter list is now posted on the web-site, but you must click on "Latest News" to see the list and you may need to refresh your screen to see the latest news. I will try to post the list where it is easier to find. I believe the count is presently 312 .  Widder, your name change has been duly recorded. If you see friends who have not entered, you might contact them as posses are filling up quickly. Posse requests will become much more difficult to accommodate.

Thanks,

Flat top 

Hello  Everyone,

We received more applications last night, but went to dinner instead of entering them. As more applications continue to arrive, it appears that we will reach our maximum of 420 well before the posted cutoff date. Please send your applications as soon as possible. We have only about 100 spots left and based on the amount of applications we have been receiving daily, we may reach our maximum around March 15th. If finances are a problem, please send application with a note and send check later. We need to order buckles by March 1st.

Thanks,

Flat Top 

On February 14, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Flat Top Okie said:

Hi All,

The current shooter list is now posted on the web-site, but you must click on "Latest News" to see the list and you may need to refresh your screen to see the latest news. I will try to post the list where it is easier to find. I believe the count is presently 312 .  Widder, your name change has been duly recorded. If you see friends who have not entered, you might contact them as posses are filling up quickly. Posse requests will become much more difficult to accommodate.

Thanks,

Flat top 

OKIE,

thanks for the posse info.   Basically, when I travel, most of us around here try to shoot with the folks we are visiting.   Its fun to meet new folks and the handful of friends we rarely see.   In this case, I hope to posse with RED KNEE and some of the Pards he has listed on his application.

All this is assuming they don't mind be on the posse with me..... :lol::lol:

2 months and counting.

..........Widder

Hello All,

Mae and I entered applications last night and we now have 345 entries. The updated shooter list will be up soon. Please remind any of your friends who are coming to send their applications as soon as possible as posses are filling up. Thanks again for your support. Remember we can't go larger than 425. 

Flat Top

Hello All,

The updated shooter list is now posted on the Oklahoma Territorial Marshals web page under "Land Run 2018". I noticed that 21 states were represented with Oklahoma leading with 100 shooters and Texas has 88. The rest of the region is as follows Arkansas with 25, Kansas with 37 and Missouri with 22. With the other 71 shooters divided among 16 states. We appreciate you all coming and we expect another 80 or so before we are done.

Thanks again   

Flat Top

PS: A special thanks to our friends from Arizona, Colorado and Iowa with 9, 10 and 11 respectively. 

Hello everyone,

We entered applications again last night. Everyone should have received e-mail confirmation. We now have 355 shooters but I am not sure when list will be updated. Be sure to check your category on your confirmation. 

Flat Top

On 23 February 2018 at 5:47 AM, Flat Top Okie said:

Hello All,

The updated shooter list is now posted on the Oklahoma Territorial Marshals web page under "Land Run 2018". I noticed that 21 states were represented with Oklahoma leading with 100 shooters and Texas has 88. The rest of the region is as follows Arkansas with 25, Kansas with 37 and Missouri with 22. With the other 71 shooters divided among 16 states. We appreciate you all coming and we expect another 80 or so before we are done.

Thanks again   

Flat Top

PS: A special thanks to our friends from Arizona, Colorado and Iowa with 9, 10 and 11 respectively. 

Haven't you got two from Australia too?:o

Adopted Okies!

Hi Guys,

We're always glad to have a few buckeyes around too. Yesterday, when Mae was entering applications, the shooter information converted to Japanese so she was unable to enter all of the applications we received Monday. She and C.D. Tom will work it out today and we will enter the applications tonight, so don't worry if you didn't receive a confirmation yesterday. We are getting close to our maximum but you are all in.

Thanks,

Flat Top

Hello Everyone,

Mae and Tom fixed the problem and we are now current on applications. We have 381 shooters registered. We have space for about 420, so we only have 40 or so spots left. The new shooter list is on the Territorial Marshals website. After we reach our maximum number we will have a waiting list. Please check the shooter list to verify that you are officially registered and if not send your application soon. In the next few days, Mae will post a list of all shooters by category to enable any of you who are eligible to change categories to take advantage of the new expanded categories. 

Flat Top

Flat Top, Only 7 more weeks. I'm lookin' forward to it,

I always love shootin' with Ya'll !!!!

I wanted to add a thought though.... I got the shooters category list just a bit ago.

61 categories overall and 5 categories just for Frontier Cartridge,

I could understand splitting it into two, But Five ???? 

I just returned from Winter Range and shot Frontier Cartridge, as I have many times.

They had One FC category with 28 shooters entered, I finished 11th one spot out of a Buckle.

But I had the opportunity to shoot against some of the best FC shooters in the country.

And I had an absolute Blast....... And God Willin' I'll be back to get that Buckle.

The people that did win Buckle did something to be proud of and will remember it for many years to come.

Buckles awarded for just showing up dont have much meaning and will just be tossed in a drawer and forgotten.

Anywho.... Just sumpin' to think about.... IMHO

C U in a few weeks !!!!!

Hello Everyone,

All of the RV spots with power and water are now taken. Dry camping is  still available and Mae found a nice RV park not too far from the range. If you are interested in that check with Mae. Again, please check the category list for accuracy. The list may not show the changes for those of you who changed in the last few days. This is going to be a great match. I am ordering giveaway guns today.

Thanks,

Flat Top

On 2/28/2018 at 9:07 PM, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Flat Top, Only 7 more weeks. I'm lookin' forward to it,

I always love shootin' with Ya'll !!!!

I wanted to add a thought though.... I got the shooters category list just a bit ago.

61 categories overall and 5 categories just for Frontier Cartridge,

I could understand splitting it into two, But Five ???? 

I just returned from Winter Range and shot Frontier Cartridge, as I have many times.

They had One FC category with 28 shooters entered, I finished 11th one spot out of a Buckle.

But I had the opportunity to shoot against some of the best FC shooters in the country.

And I had an absolute Blast....... And God Willin' I'll be back to get that Buckle.

The people that did win Buckle did something to be proud of and will remember it for many years to come.

Buckles awarded for just showing up dont have much meaning and will just be tossed in a drawer and forgotten.

Anywho.... Just sumpin' to think about.... IMHO

C U in a few weeks !!!!!

Where did you get the shooter category list?

Wow, sounds like this will be a heck of a match!  Really wish Ginny Hinny and I could attend all three days, but we’ll settle for watching some of the action on Saturday. 

Question; will there be any gunsmiths present who can look at a 1950s Marlin 1894 and determine the feeding issue I’m having, and possibly fix it?  Will I need to make an appointment, or will they be focusing solely on issues cropping up during competition?

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I can find the shooters list, but I can't seem to find the category listing.

What would it be under?

Thanks

..........Widder

Widder & Nichols... Here's a link to the category list............... http://cowboy.okcgunclub.org/LR/Land Run 2018/Category List Main Match 02282018.pdf?utm_source=Land+Run+2018+Shooters&utm_campaign=0458c5f444-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_28&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d372ad788c-0458c5f444-30369595

C U There !!!!!!!!

Archived