SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter Style Technique Drills?

Juiceharp Jen

Just for fun, I tried shooting gunfighter style at my local range.  I could shoot double duelist OK, but gunfighter seems much more difficult.  It's not a style I would use unless I drilled it and got the knack for it.  So I'm wondering if there is a way to drill it on a lane at an indoor range.  Any suggestions?

i also have some specific questions.  For example, I tried cocking one pistol as I pulled the trigger of the other pistol.  I also tried to aim both pistols at the same target, with the idea that I could sweep them both as a unit, rather than trying to point them individually.  Is that the right or wrong idea?

Jen,

If you can shoot double duelist well.  Sign up for duelist and shoot DD at monthly matches, until you are more comfortable with GF.  You can also sign up as GF and shoot the entire match DD.  As you get more proficient you could shoot a stage or two GF and build up  as you gain skills.

In the meantime dry fire practice will help you with the timing and rhythm of GF.  Place some paper plate targets on the far wall of a room and dry fire different sweeps to grow your skills.   If you can learn both double cocking and alternate cocking that would be the best as some shooting orders work better with different styles.  The example you gave (a double tap sweep) would probably favor a double cocker, that style also works for a Nevada sweep, but other sweeps can be shot just as well if not better using the alternate cocking method.  If you can not do both well pick the one that works best for you. 

I would recommend shooting a few matches Duelist just to learn the basics of the game before jumping into GF as it adds a level of difficulty .

Good luck to a future Gunfighter,

Smoke

whether you choose cocking both or singly may depend on your own eyesight capabilities. I shoot both and cock both but I also see both sights. That started by being left eye dominant and right handed. Doing this efficiently also requires an ability to switch leads and keep the order straight. 

My wife shoots singly as she has to use the same eye for sighting. 

Either method works well but cocking both and shooting both takes more practice and comes with a higher risk of a procedural. 

Do what feels best for you and practice and practice and practice until it is second nature, otherwise when the timer goes off so will your brain.

Doc Nelson

Good ideas.  Thanks.

i watched a few videos and I saw some people cock both pistols simultaneously, whereas others alternate, with the cocking of one pistol occurring after firing Of the other.  I found one video where the person seemed to be cocking one pistol at the same time the other pistol is fired, but it was too fast to tell for sure.

i think I will start in either open or wrangler so I can use both hands if duelist doesn't work for me, such as if I get tired after a few stages.

14 minutes ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

Good ideas.  Thanks.

i watched a few videos and I saw some people cock both pistols simultaneously, whereas others alternate, with the cocking of one pistol occurring after firing Of the other.  I found one video where the person seemed to be cocking one pistol at the same time the other pistol is fired, but it was too fast to tell for sure.

i think I will start in either open or wrangler so I can use both hands if duelist doesn't work for me, such as if I get tired after a few stages.

Jen,

Cocking one pistol while firing the other is the fastest  for me because there is no down time.  I always have one pistol ready to fire and most stages it just sounds like I am firing two rifles. 

The trick is it must become second nature to cock with one hand and fire with the other.  If you have to think about it then more than likely you will fire one gun and then cock the other, which burns time.  Once you get the rhythm it is easier.

While practicing the timing also practice moving the gun you just fired to the next target it will engage.  ie two full sweeps of five targets from the left, start with your left pistol and you will end the first sweep with your right pistol on target five.  While firing the right pistol at target five cock the left pistol while moving it to target one. similarly while firing the left pistol at target one cock and move the right pistol to target two.  This only saves split seconds but they add up.  Focus on the gun you are shooting, but move and cock the other at the same time.

Shooting the age based categories is a good plan.  You can learn the nuances of the game and can shoot duelist on any stage you want and go two handed when you need.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

If you have a marlin,, shoot bw,,, then you can shoot your revolvers in any fashion you desire,,,,

I single cock,,, dbl cock once in a blue moon,,,

2 hours ago, Phiren Smoke GUNFIGHTER said:

two full sweeps of five targets from the left, start with your left pistol and you will end the first sweep with your right pistol on target five.  While firing the right pistol at target five cock the left pistol while moving it to target one. similarly while firing the left pistol at target one cock and move the right pistol to target two

You'll need to start with the right pistol on target one to get this sequence to work as described.

49 minutes ago, CodyMaverick said:

You'll need to start with the right pistol on target one to get this sequence to work as described.

Cody,

You are correct.  Maybe that is why the force continues to elude me. :unsure:

Thanks.  Very helpful.

I was already concerned about accidentally cocking the other pistol at the end and arriving at a cocked, empty pistol.  The thread at the link discusses that issue.  If you do find yourself with a cocked, empty pistol at the end, and you haven't holstered or broken 170, is it OK to lower the hammer or pull the trigger before holstering without consulting the range officer?  Or should you ask for direction?

On 10/23/2017 at 6:25 AM, Juiceharp Jen said:

Just for fun, I tried shooting gunfighter style at my local range.  I could shoot double duelist OK, but gunfighter seems much more difficult.  It's not a style I would use unless I drilled it and got the knack for it.  So I'm wondering if there is a way to drill it on a lane at an indoor range.  Any suggestions?

i also have some specific questions.  For example, I tried cocking one pistol as I pulled the trigger of the other pistol.  I also tried to aim both pistols at the same target, with the idea that I could sweep them both as a unit, rather than trying to point them individually.  Is that the right or wrong idea?

Jen, I might take some heat for this, but I disagree with everyone that says to shoot double duelist for a year or so before shooting gunfighter. Shooting double duelist for a year will make you much better at shooting double duelist, but it will do nothing to make you better at shooting gunfighter. Only shooting gunfighter can do that. If gunfighter is something you are interested in, then don't let anyone stop you. Just make sure you are safe, able to understand how to shoot strings of 10 with two loaded guns out at once, and above all make sure you are having fun. I shot gunfighter my second match ever and haven't looked back since. Read the Buck D Law article and follow the advice. There is a learning curve, but with practice it will come easier and be even more fun. One of the drills I did when I first started out was put post it notes on the wall and dry fire different sweeps with the post it notes as the targets. Try out both ways of cocking, I prefer the alternating myself. Don't be afraid to  miss or get a P either. It's part of the learning process. It's been four years now and I just shot my first clean match last sunday. Remember, we gunfighters don't shoot gunfighter because it is easy. We shoot it because it is hard and like it that way. Welcome to the ranks.

It took me a lot of practice shooting with my off hand before I got to where I could reliability hit anything.  Then more practice to get as comfortable shooting with my off hand.  Then more practice shooting with both hands with equal ease.  That's where shooting double duelist for some time (for me it was a season)  to bring the off hand up to speed with the strong hand. 

You need to find out if your brain is wired for double cocking or alternating cocking.  The best way to do this is take about 300 rounds to the range on a quiet afternoon and figure out which way is more comfortable to you.  Then work on that method.  I have tried the alternating cocking and practiced it.  It just doesn't work for me.  Double cocking is much easier for me to control and I can change leads to keep from crossing up the pistols.  The tricky part is when some evil stage writer splits the pistols and you have to stop after 5 shots and move.  Then you have to remember to only cock one pistol at the end for the 5 shot string or shoot the extra round at the beginning and then start double cocking.  Lots of mental challenges shooting Gunfighter.  Welcome to the club.

I took the advice of some more experienced shooter's and shot the Duelist category for about a year or so.  I found it both fun and helpful.  It helped me get more comfortable and proficient shooting with my right hand.  It also caused me to put a lot of time in practicing smooth and efficient transitions.

Probably the biggest benefit from the experience is I now have the comfort and confidence that I can shoot a stage Double Duelist style whenever the need or desire arises.

When shooting gunfighter you will invariably be faced with a stage that requires you to shoot it double duelist either by stage layout/instructions or by convenience.  For instance; a stage with 4 shooting positions,  5 pistol at the beginning, rifle and shotgun at different spots and 5 pistol at the end.  Even if a place is provided to set your pistols down you still have to move with them pointed downrange and spend the extra time setting them down and picking them up (twice!).

I have heard a lot of GFs complain a lot when this happens but like it or not you still have to get it done.  Better to just figure out how to make the best use of that extra free hand than to complain.

Yeah that's a tough stage to shoot gunfighter. You'd have to ground the pistols in order to pick up the shotgun, and then come back to get the pistols after shooting the rifle. Still, I'd do it. Just because it's more difficult doesn't mean I want to shoot it any other way. If I sign up to shoot gunfighter (I always do) then I want to shoot it gunfighter and not double duelist. One of the five clubs I shoot at does not have tables and usually has lots of downrange movement, so I am forced to shoot it double duelist. Otherwise I will do everything in my power to shoot the stage gunfighter.

Archived