SASS Wire Forum

Base Categories

Creeker, SASS #43022

Got news for you fellows, I didn't "beat" anyone to get 1st place at the Mid-East regional in LFCGF, but hell yes I want one of them buckles, it might be my one and only  Christmas present this year, even if I have to buy it myself, and no, I'm not gonna be ashamed of it!   Oh, but I didn't DO anything to deserve it since there was no one else in my category, right?  No, I only had to learn how to clean my own guns (never had to do it before), learn to load my own ammo (never had to do that either), learn how to shoot the stuff and still hit a few targets once in a while (still working on that part)....but I didn't actually DO anything to earn it since no one else chose to shoot that category....mind telling me how that last part is MY fault and how everything I had to do to get to that point means nothing JUST because no other ladies in this area did the same thing?   That's really insulting....I didn't put all that effort into switching to BP just to get awards, I did it because it sounded like FUN.....and it has been...and to prove to myself I could step out of my comfort zone and try something new and for me a little difficult.....but because there aren't any other LFCGF's around here, and not that many LGFs period, I should be ashamed?  Thanks a lot for the encouragement.....NOT! :(

Sorry if I'm such an embarrassment to SASS just because I choose to do something unusual and fun.....guess I should find a category with lots of better shooters than I am and isn't as much fun just so I don't humiliate anyone but myself.....<_<

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter how many shooters are in your category, your stiffest competition is yourself.  If you go out and shoot to the best of your ability, then you've earned the buckle - no matter how many you are competing against.

Congratulations,

BS

9 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

Got news for you fellows, I didn't "beat" anyone to get 1st place at the Mid-East regional in LFCGF, but hell yes I want one of them buckles, it might be my one and only  Christmas present this year, even if I have to buy it myself, and no, I'm not gonna be ashamed of it!   Oh, but I didn't DO anything to deserve it since there was no one else in my category, right?  No, I only had to learn how to clean my own guns (never had to do it before), learn to load my own ammo (never had to do that either), learn how to shoot the stuff and still hit a few targets once in a while (still working on that part)....but I didn't actually DO anything to earn it since no one else chose to shoot that category....mind telling me how that last part is MY fault and how everything I had to do to get to that point means nothing JUST because no other ladies in this area did the same thing?   That's really insulting....I didn't put all that effort into switching to BP just to get awards, I did it because it sounded like FUN.....and it has been...and to prove to myself I could step out of my comfort zone and try something new and for me a little difficult.....but because there aren't any other LFCGF's around here, and not that many LGFs period, I should be ashamed?  Thanks a lot for the encouragement.....NOT! :(

Sorry if I'm such an embarrassment to SASS just because I choose to do something unusual and fun.....guess I should find a category with lots of better shooters than I am and isn't as much fun just so I don't humiliate anyone but myself.....<_<

Calico Mary,

Buff that buckle and wear it with pride.  You showed up, you shot, you didn't MDQ, and, at least on that day(s), you were the best that there was!

Dogmeat

When folks sign up for a shoot, they have the anticipation/expectation that there will be others in their category.  If the others don't materialize, they still deserve the opportunity to compete IN THEIR CHOSEN CATEGORY.  It's not of their doing that their category is under-populated, it is the fault of a system that has TOO MANY CATEGORIES!   This leads back to my previous posts in this thread about determining the minimal subset of categories, (20 by my calculation) and making them MANDATORY regardless of how many are signed up.  Everyone should have the opportunity to shoot in the style that they have spent the last months, years, or decades, practicing.

Are there folks out there who Category Shop so they can improve (or guarantee) that they will win? Certainly!  One solution to that is to not publish anyone's category.  The Who's Coming list can still be produced and published, just don't include the shooters chosen category.  The first time a shooters category would be made "public", is before the shooting starts, when they are asked to confirm their Category at their first stage, and that will only be to their posse.  After that, it's locked in so it won't matter.

Imagine a situation at a BIG match, let's say EOT or Winter Range so there is no debate about what "big" means.  Someone who is very likely to win the Cowboy category signs up.  Everyone else sees that and says, "Well, He77, I can't beat them, I'm signing up for Duelist/Gunfighter/Frontiersman/etc", leaving that lone shooter in the Cowboy category.  Now what?  Cancel Cowboy?  Where is that shooter going to go?

The solution to this whole Category mess, at least in my opinion, is to establish a Minimum set of Mandatory Categories (again 20 by my calculation) and run them regardless of the number signed up.  Then only allow the Specialty Categories (i.e. Age Breaks) to occur if there are enough to make the break.  It could be argued that "Enough" means that in order for the break to occur, there much be enough not only to form the new Category, but that enough will be left in the Base Category.  For example, what happens when there are 9 folks signed up in a category, say Duelist.  All of a sudden 7 of them decide to switch to Senior Duelist, leaving just 2 in the Duelist Category.  The 7 hit the minimum for a Specialty Category, but what does that do to the two remaining Duelists?  If you cancel Duelist, those shooters have nowhere to go.  Same thing applies to all of the "Base Categories", but lets reserve that discussion util there is a clearly defined Minimum set of Categories.

While I can understand how some folks might feel that awarding a 1st Place Buckle to a person in a Category of 1 diminishes the accomplishment of someone who came in first in a category of 50.  The fact of the matter is, that the only way that anyone's accomplishments would be diminished is if ALL OF THE CATEGORIES WERE EQUAL, and they are not equal!

If the categories are all equal, then why are the separated at all?   (Drops Mic, walks away  :D)

I suspect, that if the match directors could order 1st place buckles that clearly displayed the name of the Category won, it would satisfy those who feel their award is diminished.  But,  doing that is prohibitively expensive, and it would prevent ordering the 1st place buckles until match day, when the final category matrix would be know.  Since those awards take week, or months, to arrive once ordered, it just doesn't work logistically either.

Just my (additional) $0.02,

Dogmeat ( If I keep this up, you guys will be able to buy a whole primer!  :lol: ) Dad

Hi Folks,

My two most memorable and toughest matches happened when I was or almost was the only one in my category.

In one, I was the only person and signed up because an award was already purchased. I shot LFC. OMG! Bullet boy goofed big time. Those loads were so hot that I could barely hold my pistols. The BP was a mix of powders from creating smoke bombs for a team shoot.

The second memorable match was at the 2017 CA State match. I signed up for LBW. My competitor lived in WA, so I was a shoo in. Monday before the match, I went to the doctor with an infected big toe. He removed my toenail. I told the MD, I might have to change categories as I didn't know if I could wear my BW boots. Thursday, while hobbling around, I fell and sprained my wrist. Friday am, I talked to my competitor about my changing categories. She encouraged me to hang in, as there would be no CA State Champ if I changed. I hung in and won CA State BW Champ. It was painful; but, so many people helped me carry my guns and let me slide on posse duties. Thank you John Ringo and Pancho Sin Lefty!

Regards,

Allie Mo

I like the suggestion to go to the 2008 categories.  Why do we need to put  + sign on the age based categories?  The overall takes care of those looking for more competition.  We really do not need to have an open category with overall.  

I've switched categories twice I think. Once was at the Dam Site shoot a couple of years ago. I had signed up for Senior Duelist. Then I found out I was the only one in that. So, I switched to Duelist, against guess who.. yup Pecos Nick. He was the only one in Duelist that year. I think it was when Shooting Bull did his slide into home plate at WR and messed up his knee. I knew I had zero chance of even being in the same time zone with him, but at least I made him shoot his best and made me try to shoot my best. I think we both won that way by having someone to shoot against.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:31 AM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Just to clarify things, (it was late when I was writing so I am not surprised things got fuzzy) the list I am recommending as the Base Category list be the following, a total of 20 when we include the Ladies Categories.

• Juniors
  • Cowboy - "Traditional" Two Handed
  • Duelist
  • Gunfighter
  • FC - "Traditional" Two Handed
  • FC Duelist
  • FC Gunfighter
  • Frontiersman
  • B-Western
  • Classic Cowboy

That's it, everything, and everyone, is covered in just 20 Base Categories, a reduction of 16 categories from what we have now.  Everything else is just an age break of one of the above, and could easily be added back in "IF THERE ARE ENOUGH COMPETITORS"!

And please understand that I have no problem with using the existing list of 36 Categories either, it's the expansion beyond that with further breakdowns that causes the issues moving forward.  Left Handed, Elder Statesman, Duelist, with Knee & Hip Replacements, just shouldn't be a category!  :P

it is the fault of a system that has TOO MANY CATEGORIES!   This leads back to my previous posts in this thread about determining the minimal subset of categories, (20 by my calculation) and making them MANDATORY regardless of how many are signed up.  Everyone should have the opportunity to shoot in the style that they have spent the last months, years, or decades, practicing.

I like it, this is a great start,  sorta just like Professor Bullspits' MatrixB).  And we know some of popular ones will easily break out into Senior, IMHO that should be 60-69 Senior..........70+ Elder Statesman, or Baron, or Dame or Superman/Super Lady;). Good Luck:)

Archived