SASS Wire Forum

Rumblings in the Desert. Winter Range 2018 FINAL ENTRY

After months of planning and with the temperatures finally dropping out of the 100s the construction season of Winter Range 2018 begins.  Registrations are about 10% ahead of last year at this time so everyone is excited about the construction that will take place over the next several months.  This year's theme is the movies of John Wayne.  Several new props are being built and old ones repurposed.  The first thing that has to be done is unload materials for the beginnings of the new props.  A pair of new wagon wheels is also unloaded.  The wheels will be part of the Stagecoach prop.

P1030817.jpg

P1030825.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One group starts going over the plans for a full size stagecoach, from the movie Stagecoach.  Another group begins what will be a train station to go with the WR train for the movie The Train Robbers.  Others are working on additons to the jail and building new props to be used as expediter postions.  (The photos should be in order.)  A new courthouse from True Grit is being built off-site and will be brought to the range in a few weeks.

P1030833.jpg

P1030830.jpg

P1030848.jpg

P1030853.jpg

Colors are selected for the new props.  The Ben Avery Shooting Facility does not like hay bales so additional fencing is being built so that fewer bales will be placed on the range.  The work both on the range and at WR board members homes will continue right up until the match begins.  Plans and schedules were drawn up months ago and even though this past weekend was in the high 90s and work knocked off a few hours early, everything will be ready for the beginning of the match on February 19, 2018.

P1030838.jpg

P1030839.jpg

P1030847.jpg

thanks to all for all of your hard work!!  it is appreciated  x 100000000000000000000000000

Yes indeed.

Thank You for all you do.

All these people, and all their ideas and work is why Winter Range is the largest cowboy action shooting match in the World! :)

You ain't seen the elephant or heard the owl until you've shot Winter Range ;)

Incredible.  Every Year it is something new, different and grandier.

Many thanks to the minds and hands that create this match.

9 hours ago, Palo Verde, SASS # 56522 said:

All these people, and all their ideas and work is why Winter Range is the largest cowboy action shooting match in the World! :)

You ain't seen the elephant or heard the owl until you've shot Winter Range ;)

1 hour ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Incredible.  Every Year it is something new, different and grandier.

Many thanks to the minds and hands that create this match.

These shooters speak the truth!  I have seen the elephant and heard the owl, am planning to go in '18 for my 13th consecutive year.  :)

Blackfoot

5 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Filling out my application right now.  I've been practicing REAL hard on not falling down. ;)

We now have actual paramedics on-site rather than the EMT's the Sheriff's Office use to provide.  So we are ready for you!:P

Man-o-man, it is truly impressive the amount of work that is put into that match! Year after year, always a great match, always a great time. Wish I could get there again!

We have to spend some time out of the country for visa requirements so we won't make it this year......unless our visa change status is through in time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 8:48 PM, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

Man-o-man, it is truly impressive the amount of work that is put into that match! Year after year, always a great match, always a great time. Wish I could get there again!

Steve, I wish you could get there again too. No doubt that it is one of, if not the best CAS matches in the Game. I shall miss not being there.

to me,,, this is THE championship match!!

3 hours ago, Nasty Nels said:

Larsen:

How is the progress on WR 2018?

Inquiring minds want to know.  :blink:

NN

Larsen was out at the WR work party on Sunday. He was taking lots of pictures for you all. I'm sure he'll be posting an update soon.

Looks great. If the theme is John Wayne, please let us say some famous lines to start the stage. Nothing gets you ready like a "Fill your hand, you SOB!"

2 hours ago, Dragon Hill Dave #59561 said:

Looks great. If the theme is John Wayne, please let us say some famous lines to start the stage. Nothing gets you ready like a "Fill your hand, you SOB!"

OR

"Snakes like you usually die of their own poison."

OR

"Don’t say it's a fine morning or I'll shoot ya."

OR

"I've got a touch of hangover, bureaucrat. Don't push me."

Oh, I could go on all day......

OK, after a couple of weeks of convalescing it's time to start posting some updates with a few shots of this past weekend's work party.  Winter Range builds several new props each year to keep things interesting for the shooters and we have bascially filled up a large storage yard.  So, several fronts had to be moved to make room for new construction and to get access to other props and fronts.  The first photo is a trailer moving some fronts so access could be gained to fronts futher back in the storage containers.  The fronts on this trailer are the SASS HQ and part of the main tent facade.  The next photo is looking over part of the "Lago" town that was set up for WR 2017.  This covered four stages with everything painted red.  Some of these were new props that were planned to be reused for 2018 so the first thing to be done for this year is to begin changing the colors.  (Third photo.)  There are hundreds of small "ambiance props" that decorate the range.  Every year many are given facelifts to keep them looking fresh.  (Photo four.)

P1030875.jpg

P1030877.jpg

P1030881.jpg

P1030897.jpg

This year's theme is the movies of John Wayne and the movie that launched his career as an "A" lister was Stagecoach.  A full size stage coach is being built that should be quite entertaining for the shooters to shoot out of.  (How this will be done will become clear as construction progresses.)  Photo one shows the basic chasis being started.  Photo two has one of the irons that will hold the leather straps that will support the coach body.  In the good old days the leather straps allowed the coach body to move and absorb some of the shock from the trail.  Photo three shows the beginning of the construction of the coach body by another group.  Every stage coach has to have a strong box so one is being built.  Photo four.  Ultimately it will have iron reinforcements like the originals.

P1030887.jpg

P1030903.jpg

P1030906.jpg

P1030892.jpg

The primary ingredient in any shooting competition is targets.  Winter Range cycles new steel into the mix every year so that cratered, bent, or damaged reactive targets are not used.  This year all the plates on the various plate racks are being replaced.  (Photo one.)  Lots of new shotgun targets are being purchased and many new CAS and WB targets are being acquired.  Looks like they will be needed as things are progressing faster this year than last year.  The shooter numbers are approaching 600 and registrations are about 70 ahead of this same time last year.  The WB match has almost 100 shooters thus far.  The CAS match typically sells out by mid-December and WR tries to keep the number between 750 and 800.  Anything more makes the posses to big.  (12 stages times three waves is 36 posses.  36 posses times 20 shooters on each posse equals 720.  Each additional posse member adds 36 to the total number of shooters.  So, e.g., 21 posse members equals 756 shooters.)   The WB match typically has about 125 shooters.  The stages are done and the shooter handbook is being set up for printing.  One large prop is being built off-site by Swiss Kid.  He is the master craftsman that has built, for example, the Riverboat and the Grand Hotel.  This year he is working on a Court House.

P1030864.jpg

Blackjak, lookin good! Nice work guys, hopefully will be able to join the fun when get there in January!

• 2 weeks later...

Hat's off to the AZ Territorial Rangers, the folks that help make it all happen.  This is an extremely dedicated group of fine individuals that have chosen to give back extra to our sport and shooting friends.  We are blessed to have them all, any match would be blessed to have just one!

Looking forward to seeing all of these Winter Range updates, Larsen! Definitely lots of work and coordination going into this match. The match is really just around the corner and will be here before we know it. Yes haw!

• 2 weeks later...

Been out of the country for the past two weeks.  Landed on Sunday and drove directly out to the range so I could snap some photos and provide some updates.  First up is the full size stagecoach prop.  The first photo shows the frame with the straps that will support the coach body.  The originals were leather.  These are nylon but will be died brown once the final dimensions are established.  The second photo shows the coach body starting to take shape.  The third photo is a shot of the door being tested for fit.  Finally, the coach wheels are getting some paint to match the color scheme on the coach.

P1030912.jpg

P1030914.jpg

P1030917.jpg

P1030909.jpg

Archived