SASS Wire Forum

Birdshead grip vs Traditional grip

lone_ranger674

Best thing to do is find somebody with one & ask if you can shoot it, comparing it to the one you have.

While most of my guns have a traditonal grip, I do have a few with birdshead style.   For the most part, I don't feel much of an appreciable difference.  By way of comparison, the traditional grip on a SAA and the birdshead on a Colt 1878 are equally comfortable and fit my hand well.   The smaller birdshead on the Colt 1877 (AKA the LIghtning) is also very comfy, but I really find it to be no different from the grip a Colt 51 or other traditional grip that is slightly smaller than the SAA.  All of which makes the following more curious to me.  I have two Webley Mark VI revolvers.   When I finally obtained a Mark V, I found the birdshead grip on to so much noticably "better" that I wondered why they changed it for the Mark VI.

All of that being said, compare the grips for yourself.   Your milage may be different from mine.

I have owned and shot both in Cowboy matches.

I found both style comfortable for my medium size hands.   Although I've never owned a Bisley, I have shot a few and I have found a bigger difference in feel in my hands with the Ruger Bisley than I did with either the Plow Handle or Birdhead grip style.

My favorite grip is the 'Baby Vaquero' grip style.

..........Widder

I had a birdshead Vaquero in .45 Colt and it rocked to far back in my hand for quicker follow up shots. I tried different grip panels and that didn't seem to help. It was a cool gun though but I sold it.

If you shoot birds heads with black powder - be sure the grips a checkered

Had 4 BH's  - now down to 2 ... Rugers.  Like the balance and the grip configuration in my hands

I have owned and shot both styles in 45 Colt...All were Rugers...Settled into bigger model traditonal grip Rugers...They just felt better in my hands...Which feels better in your hands?  A question only you can answer...If it feels good, go for it...I also like the Army grips over the Navy grips in my cap guns...

Texas Lizard

Never card for the bird's heads, I've shot 'em before but never owned them I'm fine with the traditional plow handle!

i have owned both , dont shoot my birdsheads much , the grandkids like theirs , i think i would like them fine if i used them more , i have a bunch of them in webleys that i love , they just never struck me as cowboy really , not my childhood memory 

I don't much care for the Birdshead Grip.  But Miss Harley, well, she thinks they're the best, especially for Gunfighters.  

To each his, or her, own... 

I had a pair of OMVs in .45 Colt with birds head grips. They were cool and felt great in my hand until I started shooting and then they progressively rolled back during the string. Sold ‘em.

I have a Single Six now in .32 H&R mag with a birds head grip that doesn’t roll in my hand but I never shoot it. I guess I want to like birds head grips more than I actually do.

I am guessing that a lot will depend on your particular hand length and girth.  For me the worst were the OMRVs and/or the Bisley grip frames.  Next to the bottom of the trash can would be the Lightening grip frame with Colts'60 Army a bit better.  A grip that I really like is the Colt Navy or '73 SAA and even better yet with checkered Gunfighter style grips.  Best of all turns out be a tie between the SAA with checkerd Gunfighter Birdshead grip frames or the petite '62 Colt Police Model.  I currently have three pairs of my favorite shooters equipped with aftermarket Birdshead grips.   (Well almost)

• 3 months later...
On 10/20/2017 at 2:45 PM, lone_ranger674 said:

Just was curious what everyone prefers as far as a grip on a handgun.  Wouldn't mind hearing from those who have shot both.  Looking to get a my second handgun. 

What style of shooting are you doing and what is your hand size?

Personally, I love the longer 1860 "army" grip.

1 hour ago, County Jr said:

To me one question would be if you can get Wolff springs for a birds head like a Uberti, or is the main spring the same between birds head and plow handle the same?

Plow handle, birdshead, Thunderer, Lightning, P-Jr (Stallion) all use same main spring.

got both , a lot have com and gone as well , im shooting traditional colt grips in my vaqueros these days but my grandkids like the birds heads on the 22s , i dont think i have any cowboy guns left in centerfire in that grip any more , not to say i wont have one tomorrow tho , i do like that doc holiday look on occasion , 

On 10/29/2017 at 12:49 AM, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

But Miss Harley, well, she thinks they're the best

Thanks for the video of Ms. Harley. She's great!

Howdy

I prefer the traditional 'plow handle' grip.

Frankly, I think the modern interpretation of a Bird's Head grip on most of the replicas today is ugly, so I have never been tempted to buy one.

The only revolver I own with a Bird's Head grip is this antique Merwin Hulbert Pocket Army. It has the unique grip with the 'skull crusher' at the bottom.

Pocket%20Army%20open%20Top%2003_zpsxtkn5

The skull crusher is just an extension of the frame beyond the grip panels.

Pocket%20Army%20Grip%2001_zpsdlz47egp.jp

I am so used to the regular plow handle grip that the last time I shot the Merwin Hulbert in a match it took me the entire first stage to get used to shooting it. That's my excuse for why I did not have a clean match that day.

shooting%20Merwin%20Hulbert%2001_zpscxwz

Owned and shot both. Sold the birdshead. Rocks too much in the hand. Not functional for me but does look cool sittin' still.

Actually, I don't like "traditional" either. But I adapt with slimmer grip panels at the base of the grip.

I bought one of Taylor's 1860 stubbies with the thunderer grip and a 45 Colt conversion cylinder. Only fired 10 rounds out if it before I sold it. It did not handle recoil well at all... Was a cool little gun though...

When I first started I had a birdshead in a cross draw and a plow handle strong side. I began to notice 95% of my pistol misses where with the bridshead gun. I swapped that out to a plow handle and my missed dropped by at least 80%. Then I went to the "finger under" that was recently brought up and I don't have pistols misses unless I lose focus and start point shooting. 

Obviously I can't speak for everyone but for me my grip went from fairly consistent to consistent to very consistent with each change. 

Archived